<rant> Windows Phone 7 left in the dark

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I honestly believe that Windows Phone 7 will be left in the dark. Xbox Music will not be compatible on Windows Phone 7, yet on the Xbox 360 which was release in 2005 will have it. I think their will be plenty of nice Windows Phone 8 apps that will not work on WindowsPhone 7. Once Pandora, Instagram come to Windows Phone will they be only available for Windows Phone 8? I am assuming yes. I find it frustrating as I have already invested into this platform.

I find it frusterating that I did purchase a Titan 2 at $199 expecting that I would beable to get all the apps when they are release. I don't understand this 7.8 update. I feel that they are not delivering on the promise of 18 months of upgrades. There is no reason for their laziness not to upgrade Windows Phone 7 devices to Windows Phone 8. Really, they said they have a strict set of rules which OEM must follow which include only a certain set of processors and other specs. The other thing about this is this was a reason why they did this so that all devices could be upgraded. They wouldn't have fragmentation. Yet this is what is happening. You are having Windows Phone 7 devices, 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 2.5 GEn with the Lumia 900 and Titan 2. Then you have Windows Phone 8 devices that are coming out that will have app superiority and other "software enhancements" which has really nothing to do with hardware. People get upset when their devices are not able to be upgraded to Donut, Gingerbread/Ice Cream Sandwich or whatever food code name google uses.

How many people work at Microsoft and why couldn't they take the time and code for a single core Processor when in reality most apps run great on a single core processor. Lastly, why couldn't Xbox music be incorporated into the 7.8 update. or a Windows 8 version of the software for Windows Phone 7 devices. I understand Zune will be around for Windows Phone 7, with the same music artist but we all know this isn't the same. It is legacy software now with no support besides bug fixes. Also will Zune even be able to be on WIndows 8 RT in desktop mode?

I wanted to get this off my chest for a while. This isn't about me being able to upgrade my phone but rather with my current device which I got the beginning of April becoming obsolete very quickly. I mean the Titan 2 is a great device. It runs faster than other phones Dual Core Processors. When I buy a device I want support for it. It is a shame the direction Microsoft has taken, and with this it may decide my future support for this ecosystem. Currently I am not buying any more games or apps that I could buy because I am not sure really want direction Microsoft is going with Windows Phone 7. If there are major Apps that do come to Windows Phone and they won't be release on WP7, I will probably be gone from this Ecosystem for good. It sucks because I want this to succeed but this just leave a bad taste in my mouth as I have put my money down on two devices and a lot of money in the App Store/and Zune Music player.

I am not looking to get another device until my contract either ends or when I am eligible for a full upgrade.

This is the end of my rant. Not sure if you agree with my rambling or not but it is good to get off my chest about this OS.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there was ever a promise of 18 months of upgrades for Windows Phone 7. Microsoft made that promise for 8. Also, the Zune software will NOT be able to run on Windows RT, since it is a Win32 program and Windows RT does not support installing Win32 applications.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. I must be the only guy on the planet that knew when I got my phone it wouldn't get 8. I'm also okay with it.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I nominate you Town Crier for WP7.*

I honestly believe that Windows Phone 7 will be left in the dark. Xbox Music will not be compatible on Windows Phone 7, yet on the Xbox 360 which was release in 2005 will have it. I think their will be plenty of nice Windows Phone 8 apps that will not work on WindowsPhone 7. Once Pandora, Instagram come to Windows Phone will they be only available for Windows Phone 8? I am assuming yes. I find it frustrating as I have already invested into this platform.

I find it frusterating that I did purchase a Titan 2 at $199 expecting that I would beable to get all the apps when they are release. I don't understand this 7.8 update. I feel that they are not delivering on the promise of 18 months of upgrades. There is no reason for their laziness not to upgrade Windows Phone 7 devices to Windows Phone 8. Really, they said they have a strict set of rules which OEM must follow which include only a certain set of processors and other specs. The other thing about this is this was a reason why they did this so that all devices could be upgraded. They wouldn't have fragmentation. Yet this is what is happening. You are having Windows Phone 7 devices, 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 2.5 GEn with the Lumia 900 and Titan 2. Then you have Windows Phone 8 devices that are coming out that will have app superiority and other "software enhancements" which has really nothing to do with hardware. People get upset when their devices are not able to be upgraded to Donut, Gingerbread/Ice Cream Sandwich or whatever food code name google uses.

How many people work at Microsoft and why couldn't they take the time and code for a single core Processor when in reality most apps run great on a single core processor. Lastly, why couldn't Xbox music be incorporated into the 7.8 update. or a Windows 8 version of the software for Windows Phone 7 devices. I understand Zune will be around for Windows Phone 7, with the same music artist but we all know this isn't the same. It is legacy software now with no support besides bug fixes. Also will Zune even be able to be on WIndows 8 RT in desktop mode?

I wanted to get this off my chest for a while. This isn't about me being able to upgrade my phone but rather with my current device which I got the beginning of April becoming obsolete very quickly. I mean the Titan 2 is a great device. It runs faster than other phones Dual Core Processors. When I buy a device I want support for it. It is a shame the direction Microsoft has taken, and with this it may decide my future support for this ecosystem. Currently I am not buying any more games or apps that I could buy because I am not sure really want direction Microsoft is going with Windows Phone 7. If there are major Apps that do come to Windows Phone and they won't be release on WP7, I will probably be gone from this Ecosystem for good. It sucks because I want this to succeed but this just leave a bad taste in my mouth as I have put my money down on two devices and a lot of money in the App Store/and Zune Music player.

I am not looking to get another device until my contract either ends or when I am eligible for a full upgrade.

This is the end of my rant. Not sure if you agree with my rambling or not but it is good to get off my chest about this OS.

I'm glad it's off you chest and I's sure you speak for a group of people that wants technology to stand still for their benefit. I hope I get the opportunity of nominating you for Town Crier for WP8 in a few years when WP9 comes around.

Life has no promises so most of us learn to adjust and live with it. Enjoy your present phone and OS until something new makes you decide to "Move on up to the East Side."

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's treatment of WP7 users is very business like. Just dump a failing product and move on.

But by the same measure, if they don't 100% focus on WP8 right now, and make it vastly better than WP7, and ramp up the marketshare, then you'll have litterally no upgrade path, and the value and support of WP7 will die overnight.

One big factor, is you don't buy a Microsoft phone, you buy it from an OEM. HTC, Samsung, etc have done almost nothing, other than support MS. Yet Nokia are all over WP7, releasing utils constantly. Why is everyone soo angry at Microsoft, yet HTC, Samsung, etc get a free pass?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
8o1AJ.gif

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Why would anyone buy a phone that doesn't do what they want in hopes that later it will? I have a wp7 device and you won't hear a peep from me. Go buy an apple, they are the only ones that get upgraded religiously.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

didnt-read.gif

Go to eBay, sell the one you have, use that money and join the WP8 party! Quick before the cake is gone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital