Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Wow. Since nokia sold their HQ, their stock has been going up. 😃😃

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I think they're a good bet in the long run.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham
  3.    #3  
    😃😃

My dad sold his now, made $500.

I think it's going up because of the China mobile deal that's supposed to be announced soon.
    riffraffy and robstunner like this.

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Wow. Since nokia sold their HQ, their stock has been going up. ����
    Old news, the deal was announced a long time ago, but it could be a small factor.

My dad sold his now, made $500.
    Nothing wrong with locking in profits, but I would have told your dad to hold on a bit longer, at least until Q4 results come out in January 2013. If the sales of Lumias exceed analyst expectations (and they seem on pace to do so), the stock will pop! My target is $5. After that I will re-evaluate my position based on the Q4 report.

Quote Originally Posted by luckylifo View Post
    I think it's going up because of the China mobile deal that's supposed to be announced soon.
    Yes, that's definitely a much bigger catalyst that the sale of their HQ. I believe they go on sale in China tomorrow, hence the run up before release. They also divested their NSN services this week, which could also contribute. But actually, there have been estimates on Nokia's share of the WP market, and they were estimated to hold ~94% of the market (WP7 + WP8), which is great news, since everyone was saying Samsung and HTC would cut into their share, rather than the other way around. Furthermore, they hold a large percentage of the WP8 market, based on early estimates, which is definitely a positive catalyst. But I don't expect the gains to be solid until more reliable numbers are released.
    a5cent and mikewp like this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeWaah View Post
    Yes, that's definitely a much bigger catalyst that the sale of their HQ. I believe they go on sale in China tomorrow, hence the run up before release. They also divested their NSN services this week, which could also contribute. But actually, there have been estimates on Nokia's share of the WP market, and they were estimated to hold ~94% of the market (WP7 + WP8), which is great news, since everyone was saying Samsung and HTC would cut into their share, rather than the other way around. Furthermore, they hold a large percentage of the WP8 market, based on early estimates, which is definitely a positive catalyst. But I don't expect the gains to be solid until more reliable numbers are released.
    when do you think worldwide sales numbers will be released? i am very interested to see how many phones have sold from the time the lumia line went retail up to january.

Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    when do you think worldwide sales numbers will be released? i am very interested to see how many phones have sold from the time the lumia line went retail up to january.
    For all Windows Phones? Or just Nokia WPs? As far as Nokia is concerned, I expect numbers to be released during their Q4 meeting, which is around January 17th 2013. For all WPs, we will probably need to wait until Microsoft's meeting. I don't really follow MS, so I'm not sure when their meeting is. Even then, I've heard they can be tight lipped about numbers.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    For all Windows Phones? Or just Nokia WPs? As far as Nokia is concerned, I expect numbers to be released during their Q4 meeting, which is around January 17th 2013. For all WPs, we will probably need to wait until Microsoft's meeting. I don't really follow MS, so I'm not sure when their meeting is. Even then, I've heard they can be tight lipped about numbers.
    was talking about just nokia's numbers. thanks for that date, i will keep that in mind.

Sure, NP.

Global Posts
    32,289 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Microsoft's earnings conference call is January 24, 2013.
    Thanked by:
  11.    #11  
    Nothing wrong with locking in profits, but I would have told your dad to hold on a bit longer, at least until Q4 results come out in January 2013. If the sales of Lumias exceed analyst expectations (and they seem on pace to do so), the stock will pop! My target is $5. After that I will re-evaluate my position based on the Q4 report.

It was unpredictable. He almost sold it at 3.29, but then it went up and up. I think it will go down tomorrow, but who knows? :)

It was unpredictable. He almost sold it at 3.29, but then it went up and up. I think it will go down tomorrow, but who knows? :)
    Until we get some real sales numbers, I think NOK will probably trade within a range of 3.20 - 3.60 (based on the information I have available to me now. Things may change tomorrow.) So I do think there is a re-entry point coming soon. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing sub 3 again however, barring a catastrophe.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Overall, I am more optimistic than pessimistic, but in the short term, I do think today's run up was more hype than substance.
    a5cent likes this.

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Published December 5, 2012 | By Nokia - Press Release
    Nokia Partners with China Mobile to Launch the Lumia 920T, the First TD-SCDMA Windows Phone

Nokia Partners with China Mobile to Launch the Lumia 920T, the First TD-SCDMA Windows Phone Nokia – Press

NOK is up 7.2% in Helsinski so far. Might be a good day here in the US.

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Looking good so far...

Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    Looking good so far...
    Yeah, if NOK can sustain this run up, I'll be very happy! Up 8.26% today!!

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    in my market-watch game i invested 100k when it was around $2.70-$2.80. Now i have a 31% profit or $31k...

..............if only it was real money :-( i didn't no how to invest internationally or i would of brought 5,500 shares

Quote Originally Posted by nzrocketman View Post
    in my market-watch game i invested 100k when it was around $2.70-$2.80. Now i have a 31% profit or $31k...

..............if only it was real money :-( i didn't no how to invest internationally or i would of brought 5,500 shares
    I started that way too, before I got a job to make money to invest with. I "bought" AAPL when they were ~$100, sold ~$690. I wish that had been real money too, but the important thing was that my ideas were right. There will be more opportunities, but I think Nokia still has a lot of gains to come.

You can buy ADRs from your US broker. That's the easiest way to get exposure to Nokia if you are in the US. If you have a brokerage account, just search for NOK and you can buy it that way.
  19.    #19  
    They are doing amazing this week.

So great to see my paltry amount of NOK stocks in GREEN for a change. Great performance this week.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    They are doing amazing this week.
    alot of nokia's stock has to do with how well windows mobile is doing. check out this recent article about cell phone operating systems and where they are projected to be in 2016.

Worldwide Mobile Phone Growth Expected to Drop to 1.4% in 2012 Despite Continued Growth Of Smartphones, According to IDC - prUS23818212

Closed up 12.79% today! That was a huge run, and has exceeded my expectations. I think part of it may be on estimates that they will sell ~6 million Lumias in China alone, making a shot at ~10 million worldwide a very real possibility.

I expect a bit of profit taking on friday, not sure how the stock will move tomorrow. It's possible shorts will try to pile on tomorrow. If the stock continues to move up tomorrow and friday, I think we may have seen a true breakout and the trading range should be adjusted.

But honestly I'm not a trader, I'm just guessing at what might happen to fine tune my judgment. I'm holding on until I can retire! Just kidding, but that would be a dream come true...

Hey guys do you remember the dotcom bubble.. My dad sold his over 10 year old long term shares @*~$40/35€ and made a fortune. Looong way to go up there 8D

Nokia's stock price was still going ballistic as the company swept all before it on the mobile phone front. Soon it would be reported that there were more than 7,000 "Nokia millionaires" in Finland (Country of 5+ million people.)
    Helsingin Sanomat - International Edition

I won't touch consumer electronics stocks neva

Yea, pretty sure NOK will see a drop to around 3.70 before next week, but if i'm wrong then good for them. Its a bit scary touching a stock that has so much activity.

another factor is windows phone OS, but microsoft isn't doing very well, you'd think they would lead if the outlook for OS was good.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast