Considering switching from Lumia 930 to Galaxy S7, anyone else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper58

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first message on this forum.

I have been a long-time Windows Phone user. My first smartphone was a Samsung Omnia 7, back in 2011. I was very happy with it, as it was stable, different, and certainly better at performing important tasks than most other smartphones. At that time, I was the only one around me who carried a Windows Phone, and when I was seeing what Android was like, I was convinced that I made the right choice. As I was very satisfied, 2 years ago, I bought a Lumia 930. Great camera, good interface with almost no bugs (WP 8.1) and amazing screen. However, battery life was not that good, but acceptable.

10 months ago, I upgraded my phone to Windows 10 Mobile. The overall experience was so bad and so buggy that I reverted back to Windows 8.1. I thought that it was normal, as I was using beta software that wouldn't be released any time soon.
4 months ago, I renewed the experience, mainly because the OS was due to be released as a final version for the Lumia 950/950XL, and because I felt (and still feel) that Windows Phone 8.1, however great it was, belongs to the past, in terms of functionalities and interface.

The experience has undoubtedly improved, but there were still many bugs. Too many. I waited, hoping that this would be addressed. It hasn't. Edge still refuses to load some webpages on a daily basis, has interface problems and sometimes make my phone completely reboot. The texting app, probably the most important one, can be slow, or closes unexpectedly. On three occasions, my phone didn't wake me up although the alarm was set. No sound came from my phone at all. Outlook also has many bugs, and is not that great. I experience regular Bluetooth audio problems. And there are many more issues... Some of you might argue that it is still beta software, but so close from the final release on all devices and 3 months after the final release on the 950, I don't possibly see how things could change.

Meanwhile, the app gap is still there. I have never cared about the number of apps available, what I want is to have the most useful apps, and more importantly, quality apps. Just an exemple. As a medical student, I use some of Elsevier's textbooks. They have created an app that allows you to consult them online, without the need to carry them with you. Such an app doesn't exist on Windows Phone, it only does on iOS or Android. I agree this is just a personal detail that doesn't affect everyone, but the accumulation of these "details" makes the whole experience pretty bad.
More than that, I feel that the quality of apps is often poor on Windows Phone : bad interface, many functions lacking, etc... There are exceptions, but overall, it is not satisfying. Take the Facebook app. It is extremely bad. When I first tried it, I thought I made a mistake and that it was an unofficial one. I have to use m.facebook.com, which is unfortunately far better.

I used to hate Android and be an unconditional fan of Windows Phone, and even of Microsoft in general. I even lobbied a friend to switch from Android to Windows Phone. He was very happy that he switched, but he had a very low-end Android phone, which explains a great part of his satisfaction.

There was certainly a time when Android was really bad. But I don't think this is still the case. I tried a Galaxy S6 Edge in a store, and I was blown away by the quality of the screen, the fluidity and by how good the apps were. All of my preconceived ideas went away. Everything was not perfect, I didn't like the main interface for instance, it looks too much like one for a toy phone, but as it is very customizable, I don't think there is an issue there.

Microsoft has put a lot of effort recently to develop equivalent apps for other platforms : Office, Cortana, WordFlow keyboard, ... Much more than for fixing WP bugs, it seems. Some of them are actually far better and less buggy on Android than on Windows Phone, which is for me a real lack of respect for their loyal customers. Someone asked me recently, "What is better with your Windows Phone?". I almost couldn't answer, I only had negative sides flowing into my head.

I need to change my Lumia 930 as soon as possible, because the battery life is not acceptable any more. I almost never finish the day, and yet, my usage is not that heavy! I have to carry a small USB battery with me in my pocket to "address the issue" . If I wanted to stay on WP, all I have is a disappointing "flagship" with a disappointing design, which I tried in a store and has some of the same bugs of my 930, if not all. I don't think I could wait until the end of the year for a Surface Phone, and I wouldn't want it if the same bugs and the lack of apps are still present. But if significant progress will be made and if I decide to switch to Android now, I would be happy to come back!

I have seen reliable leaks on the new Galaxy S7 (Edge), which is expected to have impressive battery life (the most important point for me), a powerful processor and some unique functionalities. It should be released in one month.

I am wondering, what am I losing if I decide to switch?
Maybe the great Zeiss camera, but besides that, I don't see many things...

Are there some of you who are following the leaks on the Galaxy S7 and are considering switching to the Galaxy S7 when it will be released, or even to another Android phone? If so, what are your reasons? Do you agree or disagree with me on the reasons I have cited?

Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to be thorough on my experience. :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't have an opinion on the S7 leaks since I haven't been following them. To me, your reasons make a lot of sense. I might not relate or agree with all of them but they are vaild ones. I agree with the quality of most apps (lets be honest), but I do find it to be unacceptable that you have an app that would be extremely useful for you in the profession you are pursing and you can't have it.

I recently switched to Android with the Nexus 5x (the state of things on WP and a promo dropping the price to $299 influenced this decision). It started as a trial, since I like trying phones, but I ended up liking it a lot so I have officially switched. The app quality is so different. I'm not a medical student, but I do have an app that I use daily or at least regularly. On Windows Phone, it crashed, never saves my login, etc but I still used it because I love what it does. However, trying this app on Android is like night and day. It is SO much better on Android. It has spoiled me so much that I can't imagine going back to using a subpar app just because I want to be a loyalist to the platform.

Honestly, just give it a whirl. You can always return or not whenever that is. I like Windows Phone/Mobile a lot actually, and I'll be willing to go back when apps I use are actually updated, and when the situation improves. Do what will work best for you.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm just the opposite, miss pin to start and the live tiles, the black with white text as standard, the keyboard, the camera and surprise the apps, like Fitbit miles better on WP, especially the handy live tile, Navicomputer by far the easiest app that you can sync offline walking maps, even store them on one drive till you need them, bird sounds of uk, best bird sound app even better than ibird, to name just a few I use, also with Windows 10 and as long as you make sure you don't restore when you come from Windows 8 everything runs like a dream, the mail and calendar app are by far superior to iOS or android in my opinion, love the way you can adjust what the swipe of the email can do, if I could have a phone that allowed me to use post it notes and pin them to a main page of the daily things I'm doing and the website or info, map location I was currently working on wouldn't that be perfect, well it is and that's exactly what Windows phone does for you, I'm lost with iOS and android.

Manu6901

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
@TS: I am having same issues as you mentioned. So much time has passed and still no polished software. Shameful, nor hardware is exciting in flagship nor software is. Thinking to switch to Android. No other go MS. You lost us.

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
@TS: I am having same issues as you mentioned. So much time has passed and still no polished software. Shameful, nor hardware is exciting in flagship nor software is. Thinking to switch to Android. No other go MS. You lost us.
I will be switching in a few months. Waiting for the next moto g

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Remember though that W10M is a ground up overhaul, not just another sweet inspired release, papering over the cracks of major issues, for example, security, in previous versions. I am not a 'fan boy' of any particular OS, but to me android and iOS seem to be stagnating. The whole idea of android was 'open source' but with more OEMs clamping their devices shut, this has almost been closed off. Apple just doesn't float my boat. TBH, I dislike it greatly.

If the Galaxy 7 is your thing, then it's your call. I wouldn't. Samsung have been getting away with re-inventing the wheel for so long it laughable. Unfortunately, they aren't the only ones. You have to remember as well that some of the big OEMs drop all support for devices after a year or so. Again, Samsung are one of the worst. I had a note 3 when 5.0 was released. Local Samsung said the 3 would only go to 5.01 as they wouldn't run anything above. Load of rubbish. I managed, with help from the Echo Rom guys, to get the 3 running a full 4 rom, with bits of S6 roms in as well!

I would avoid Samsung and go with a OnePlus or a nexus. The one plus is built to deal with most stuff thrown at it. It runs cyanogen, and Oneplus actively encourage updating to the latest vanilla roms, when cyanogen release them. My true wish, and as yet, things have stalled, would be Ubuntu on a phone!! It's taken them over 2 years, so W10M isn't that far behind

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm just curious how you think an android phone's battery will not wear out over time, how the phone will not slow down over time, etc.

Maybe I'm insane but I keep a little android phone around for when I need an app. Just share internet over to it. Done.

Your medical thing would be better served by a tablet anyway. Eye strain is a thing.

Copper58

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your comments. Most of them convince me even further to switch.

I agree that iOS and Android are stagnating on some points, the main interface hasn't evolved much for years, which is a disgrace. However, based on what I've read, that stability has improved and the quality of the most important apps is just very good today.

What I love about Windows Phone is that it is trying to innovate and be different. For instance, I love live tiles and the home screen, and I am very likely to miss this. However, it has always been a work in progress and I'm tired of waiting for (good) apps, stability and new functions. I honestly think that Windows Mobile 10 as it is is a shame. Microsoft has all the necessary ressources to make something great, and is most certainly not starting from scratch as they have been making mobile OS for more than 10 years, even if it was in a different form. I don't think we should try to find excuses for them. I'd really like to see some change and some commitment to Windows Phone from Microsoft. Although I'm pretty pessimistic, if it gets better and if a exciting flagship is released, there is no doubt I would come back to Windows Phone.

Just to clarify things, I was talking about a medical app that is missing on WP. It allows you to have full access to an electronic version of paper textbooks you have purchased. I have no intention of reading the complete book or even a complete chapter on my phone, my eyes would indeed suffer a lot. What I need is the ability to search quickly for a definition, a figure or a explanation of a concept. I have a tablet (Surface Pro 3) that I often carry with me, but the phone app would be very useful when I don't have the Surface and also much more convenient when I just need a quick definition of a word. More importantly, I often study in a library where there is no Wi-Fi, and the phone app is the only one allowing me to have offline access to my book. For all those reasons, it would be great for me to have such an app.

About my battery problem, the battery life of my Lumia 930 wasn't satisfying even when it was new. The problem has logically gotten worse because all batteries wear out. The Galaxy S7 is expected to have 17 hours of video playback, which would be an impressive figure. If this is really the case, even after one year or two, the battery life would still be good at least...

I haven't been convinced by the Nexus when I tried it in a store, and some tests claim that the battery life and the quality of the camera are good, but a little some competitors. As for Apple, this is an alternative I wouldn't even consider. The interface of iOS is not bad at all, but the whole OS is too closed. And above all, I refuse to spend so much money on the overpriced mid-range phone that I think the iPhone is, even though it may have its positive sides.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree that iOS and Android are stagnating on some points, the main interface hasn't evolved much for years, which is a disgrace.

Apparently, it is not an issue at all for lots of users around the world. Stagnate? Well, people prefer icons than "live" tiles. In fact, how much can live tiles offer? Can you work with the tiles without opening the apps? Most of the time, I don't even bother to look at what's on the tiles because when I need to use an app, I simply launch it. It works just like with icons. I will rather read from within the app than reading from the tiny available space on the live tiles. Frankly, since I made the move over to iOS, I'm not missing anything from windows phone at all. In fact, I gain lots of app choices and better app supports compared to the times when I were on Windows Phone.

I will not be going back to windows phone. Been a WP users since WP7 from the start. Regional apps are just not coming to windows phone. Really sick of waiting. Tried W10M on my 640XL as well, but meh. Resuming is still happening now and then. Apps often require reloading when switched over to. On the other hand, apps switching is so much better on my IP6s+ as well as for my Note 4. Have you tried using Facebook Messenger on windows phone? Is just bad, very bad. It requires long re-connections when switched to.

I hope with the bridging of iOS apps to windows phone will improve things significantly. But even so, why do I even bother to go with Windows phone, since apps will be coming from iOS first? We are not even sure if devs plan to spend their time and resources with the bridging and maintenance of the apps on windows phone.

I'm not seeing WP picking up by the public anytime in the near future. Perhaps a Surface phone may help? But again, that's only hardware. A platform require more than just hardware in order to flourish. How can WP shines when the world are happy with Android and iOS? Perhaps MS will be throwing in the towel for WP soon as well.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, it is not an issue at all for lots of users around the world. Stagnate? Well, people prefer icons than "live" tiles. In fact, how much can live tiles offer? Can you work with the tiles without opening the apps? Most of the time, I don't even bother to look at what's on the tiles because when I need to use an app, I simply launch it. It works just like with icons. I will rather read from within the app than reading from the tiny available space on the live tiles. Frankly, since I made the move over to iOS, I'm not missing anything from windows phone at all. In fact, I gain lots of app choices and better app supports compared to the times when I were on Windows Phone.

I will not be going back to windows phone. Been a WP users since WP7 from the start. Regional apps are just not coming to windows phone. Really sick of waiting. Tried W10M on my 640XL as well, but meh. Resuming is still happening now and then. Apps often require reloading when switched over to. On the other hand, apps switching is so much better on my IP6s+ as well as for my Note 4. Have you tried using Facebook Messenger on windows phone? Is just bad, very bad. It requires long re-connections when switched to.

I hope with the bridging of iOS apps to windows phone will improve things significantly. But even so, why do I even bother to go with Windows phone, since apps will be coming from iOS first? We are not even sure if devs plan to spend their time and resources with the bridging and maintenance of the apps on windows phone.

I'm not seeing WP picking up by the public anytime in the near future. Perhaps a Surface phone may help? But again, that's only hardware. A platform require more than just hardware in order to flourish. How can WP shines when the world are happy with Android and iOS? Perhaps MS will be throwing in the towel for WP soon as well.

Just as you have a right to your opinion please respect mine and others who do not agree having only two choices is acceptable. I have used android from the start, it has always been disappointing. iOS is great and all but is not an acceptable choice for many because of cost and the closed system. So if I cannot afford an iOS device (and I surely cannot) why do you seek begrudge me the option of using windows mobile? Why do you feel because YOU like android it's legitimate for it to be MY ONLY CHOICE? I ask because that is what your doing when you jump on the hater bandwagon proclaiming it's dead or should be. You and those on your bandwagon discourage developers who may give us a bone. Or do you just feel lower income people do not have a right to an opinion or choice.

"How can WP shines when the world are happy with Android and iOS?" - No, YOU are happy with android and iOS. Many of US are not, and to us WP already shines.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

I have to agree about this point about live tiles. They are utterly useless the way they are implemented at the moment. Even when it's displaying some information, clicking on it just opens the app, it doesn't even take you to the content that was displaying on the tile. You have to search again for whatever you wanted to look at after you open the app. I always wonder why people love live tiles so much when their implementation is so poor.

Live tiles have remained the same since they were introduced in Windows Phone 7. More than 5 years and no improvement to live tiles whatsoever. Microsoft has only added different sizes to the tiles. You would have thought they would have implemented interactive live tiles by now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced Windows users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you?re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won?t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for Windows !

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I also have a Lumia 930 and Windows 10 works great on mine. The only bug I am experiencing is the that the messaging app doesn't always notify me of a new message.
But if I had to buy a phone right now it would be a Nexus. I want to keep the L930 at least for one or two more years. If there is no improvement by then, in the app gap, I am leaving Windows Phone.

Last edited:

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
WP is good for casual users those who just do texts ,calls and emails ....like myself....
I am currently using Lumia 1320, Lumia 625, iPhone 5s and galaxy s4
Lumia is better for normal using
But apps and games selection is much more better on ios and Android

Those who want to get wp experience despite knowing app gap they should try lower and mid range Lumia..
But for Lumia flagship.....big NO

Android flagships are much better than Microsoft Lumia.....

But If you want to switch android then you should go for Nexus series.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here are my personal thoughts on this.

I owned (still own) a L920. As time went by I started having issues and decided I needed a complement device so picked up an Android tablet. A Nexus 7 which is still perfectly functional. I have had some experience with Samsung on a tablet but I'm personally not a fan. They're also horrible at updating devices.

My L920 basically got a similar point of your L930. Battery life was atrocious and the lack of apps was starting to wear thin. No real upgrade in sight for me at the time either. So I made the jump to Android fully by getting a Sony Z3.

I've been very happy ever since. I haven't really missed WP at all. I have a similar opinion about Live Tiles and to be honest I find widgets on Android to be more informative.

You can do lots of customization with Android which I don't do much of but I do have a play now and again. It's nice to have options.

There's a lot of misconception running around and lots of noise on these forums in regards to how good Android or iOS is. Comments of 'stale', 'bloat', 'slowing down', 'clunky' and so on seem to be the go to for people wanting to dis Android and iOS.

Simply put I've had a good experience so far and have had less stress with Android than I've had with WP. So as the saying goes, to each their own.

Get what works for you. :)

Copper58

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
What I meant about the interface of iOS and Android is that there has been very little change over the years, not much innovation. As for Windows Phone, I understand that not everyone likes live tiles, but I feel this is nice to see some valuable piece of information (weather, news, tasks, ...) without opening an app. When I receive an e-mail, I can immediately see if this important or not on the live tile. And if it isn't, I don't have to open the app at all, which is a feature that I like. But I totally agree that this concept could be improved a lot.

Why Nexus instead of Galaxy?
The most important points for me are camera quality, battery life and display quality. And I don't think the Nexus (6P) is a better choice, but there might be some important features that I'm not taking into account...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What I meant about the interface of iOS and Android is that there has been very little change over the years, not much innovation. As for Windows Phone, I understand that not everyone likes live tiles, but I feel this is nice to see some valuable piece of information (weather, news, tasks, ...) without opening an app. When I receive an e-mail, I can immediately see if this important or not on the live tile. And if it isn't, I don't have to open the app at all, which is a feature that I like. But I totally agree that this concept could be improved a lot.

The most important points for me are camera quality, battery life and display quality. And I don't think the Nexus (6P) is a better choice, but there might be some important features that I'm not taking into account...

You know that you can have widgets that show that, right? They exist, and since switching to Android, I have seen them for calendars, weather, and other things I can't remember at the moment.

Interesting that you say that about the 6p, I have heard many great things about it. When you get a chance, check out androidcentral.com for reviews from users and also the forums for the 6p. Using the 5x is solid.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have a Nexus Tablet and a Sony Z3 phone. The Nexus phones don't really interest me.

Widgets are by far more informative than Live Tiles. Also the widgets are 'live' and animated. I also find that I don't have to wait for information... like a Live Tile to scroll...

Battery life on my Sony is pretty good and if you're a light to medium user you can easily get two days out of it. Aside from the aesthetics of the Sony device it was the battery and the almost vanilla Android interface that drew me to it.

As for the Galaxy phones, I've never owned one so can't say anything about them. We have an older Samsung tablet that basically got ignored rather quickly. It could easily run 6.0 on it but they can't be bothered to update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3