Why did you Pick the Ativ S

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Had a Galaxy S3 and didn't want to be part of the emerging Android dominance and Samsung rehashing the S series like Apple does with the Iphone. The Ativ S has the Wolfson chip (I believe) that is in the S3. Battery life is far better than the S3, can get a day out of it without putting it on charge. Phone functionality is better than the Nokia line, colleague of mine with an 820 can't block numbers.

But my bugbear is that as a phone it seriously need to be developed (talking about W8) as the inability to type the keypad and brining up a contact based upon name frustrates. So do the inability to look at call history and choose whether to text or call the person. I'm going to give MS to the next update, if they don't address the majority of these issues I will look at an S4 or Nexus so I can have a working phone interface. They really have dropped the ball on this!

Regarding Music PowerAMP is due a release on Win8, probably the APP I miss the most from Android, that and flipboard...

You actually can chose call or text from the call history. Just tap their name and it takes you to their page in the people hub. You're welcome. ;)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I chose it because the other option on my carrier was the 8X and after my HD7, HTC never gets my money again. I ended up loving the phone, though, for all the other reasons listed here. (battery life, form factor, battery life, screen, expandable memory, battery life... OMG seriously, you guys: BATTERY LIFE!!!) I haven't regretted the purchase for even a moment, unlike my HD7, which I regretted almost daily...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Why did I pick the ATIV S?

Expandable storage, removable battery, over a day and a half of battery life from a single charge and the largest screen on any Windows Phone. I also found the designs of the HTC and Nokia devices to be uninspiring.

Last edited:

sukimtk

May 13, 2013
Visit site
hey ppl i would like to buy this phone BUT i dk if sumsung will support this phone, and in my country this phone is 269E anad lumia 820 is 280 so plz make it easy for me and say wich 1 should i pick :D

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
hey ppl i would like to buy this phone BUT i dk if sumsung will support this phone, and in my country this phone is 269E anad lumia 820 is 280 so plz make it easy for me and say wich 1 should i pick :D

I really depends what your requirements are, I usually suggest trying them both out in phone shops if you can because there's no better judge of what you need than yourself. If I was to suggest one then, obviously, I would recommend the ATIV S but seeing as this is the Samsung ATIV S section of the forum that's not surprising!!!

Shanonomous

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I ended up with the ATIV S after having sent Lumia 920 for repair 3 times with repeated freezing, overheating, lag, poor wifi reception amoung other things. Nokia finally gave a credit to the provider and I got the ATIV S.
The ATIV S is a joy to use compared to the glitchy L920. Battery life is better, nice screen, snappy response, doesn't weigh a ton....no problematic glitches and I love it! I was worried about the camera but the photos are just as good or better than the 920, I don't use video much at all. If the ATIV S had any marketing it would sell alot better, most people don't even know it exists which is a shame as it is a nice unit.

vegas33139

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I picked up an ATIV S for GB?360, when a Lumia 920 would have been GB?480. It's even cheaper than the Lumia 720 at GB?380! The removable battery and additional storage are great features, and I loved the AMOLED screen on my previous Samsung Omnia 7.

Today, I purchased my Ativ S for ?240 on Amazon. Amazon the German site I might add. I always buy my stuff from the German site. It's so much cheaper.

Mankku

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
i bought ativ s for 267 E, and i cant w8 for it :D
i hope i made the right choice :D

For that price it's nothing but the right choice! :) I had mine for 4 months now, extremely happy with my Ativ s, I would have saved a couple of hundred euros for it if I'd waited a bit longer for it. Paid about 460 ?. Hoping for some app and update support for WP8 by Samsung, as Ativ s is a great phone as it is

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Picked it because:
  1. It has a Super AMOLED + display which is awesome compared to any other technology. Look gentlemen, the organic display produces much much better color gamut than even in-plane switching displays in Nokia top 9xx devices aren't even close to it.
  2. It's flat out slim and lightweight. Wrapped into a leather case it's sill almost that slim as Nokia's Lumia 9xx
  3. Large screen. I've been using WP 7.5 on a 4.3" HTC HD2 back days and it felt comfortable but not fair enough. Colleague of mine owns a 3.7 inch Sammy and looking at its screen causes eyestrain for me. Reading books on a 4.8" screen with fantastic Segoe WP phone is a joy!
  4. Removable battery. Low temperatures is a beast, but not only that, hits can corrupt cells in a battery making your need to replace it. All of my phones I owned started to experience rapid discharge after being hit on the floor, and battery replacement is the only solution.
  5. Replaceable SD card that can be used for storing setup XAP as well as personal data and help facilitate the well known 'Other' storage category growing uncontrolled.
  6. Surprisingly unpopular in Russia, so it was hard to get but came like $100 cheaper than what they want for Nokia Lumia 920 here.
  7. It has sturdy housing with metal frame, aluminum finished plastic back panel and glossy lacquer gray-colored face panel
  8. I liked the design better than any other, small borders (frame is not that slim as in HTC One but still feel slimmer than that in Lumia)
  9. Eh, my wife has Nokia 620. Like it very well, by the way, but screen is small to my eyes. (At the other hand, ATIV S would hardly fit any pocket of her clothes, that's why I didn't get it for her.)

Love it.

EH

P.S.: I purchased a 'gray' phone (as I understood it based on the broken seal and English UK set by default when you do a reset) that had no user manual or anything other than:
  1. Phone itself
  2. Charge/data ?USB cable
  3. Rechargeable battery
  4. Euro outlet AC power plug (surprisingly, it had Russian labels on it, so I suspect original one has been replaced)
  5. White in-ear earbuds with 1/8" plug.

I wonder what's the standard set in the retail box of ATIV S for Euro/Asia market? Could anyone clear this up for me?

I contacted Samsung Russia but they refused to comment on why I've got a gray device and what should come with the one prepared specially for Russian market…

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Picked it because:
  1. It has a Super AMOLED + display which is awesome compared to any other technology. Look gentlemen, the organic display produces much much better color gamut than even in-plane switching displays in Nokia top 9xx devices aren't even close to it.
  2. It's flat out slim and lightweight. Wrapped into a leather case it's sill almost that slim as Nokia's Lumia 9xx
  3. Large screen. I've been using WP 7.5 on a 4.3" HTC HD2 back days and it felt comfortable but not fair enough. Colleague of mine owns a 3.7 inch Sammy and looking at its screen causes eyestrain for me. Reading books on a 4.8" screen with fantastic Segoe WP phone is a joy!
  4. Removable battery. Low temperatures is a beast, but not only that, hits can corrupt cells in a battery making your need to replace it. All of my phones I owned started to experience rapid discharge after being hit on the floor, and battery replacement is the only solution.
  5. Replaceable SD card that can be used for storing setup XAP as well as personal data and help facilitate the well known 'Other' storage category growing uncontrolled.
  6. Surprisingly unpopular in Russia, so it was hard to get but came like $100 cheaper than what they want for Nokia Lumia 920 here.
  7. It has sturdy housing with metal frame, aluminum finished plastic back panel and glossy lacquer gray-colored face panel
  8. I liked the design better than any other, small borders (frame is not that slim as in HTC One but still feel slimmer than that in Lumia)
  9. Eh, my wife has Nokia 620. Like it very well, by the way, but screen is small to my eyes. (At the other hand, ATIV S would hardly fit any pocket of her clothes, that's why I didn't get it for her.)

Love it.

EH

P.S.: I purchased a 'gray' phone (as I understood it based on the broken seal and English UK set by default when you do a reset) that had no user manual or anything other than:
  1. Phone itself
  2. Charge/data ?USB cable
  3. Rechargeable battery
  4. Euro outlet AC power plug (surprisingly, it had Russian labels on it, so I suspect original one has been replaced)
  5. White in-ear earbuds with 1/8" plug.

I wonder what's the standard set in the retail box of ATIV S for Euro/Asia market? Could anyone clear this up for me?

I contacted Samsung Russia but they refused to comment on why I've got a gray device and what should come with the one prepared specially for Russian market…

My ATIV S came with everything yours came with, UK power adapter though, and the manuals.

locoworks

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
i got one because i wanted proper excel, but as it has a bug which makes the main feature i wanted a ball ache ( autofilter ) compared to the PC version i wish i'd have got an S3 or held out for an S4, that said though the HTC 1 seems to top the poles over the S4 despite the 4 mp camera???? but i think i'd stick with samsung given the choice

SteakPieHarry

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Well as I recently picked one up I guess I'll throw in a few reasons of my own.....

Screen size. I've been using an S3 and anything smaller would have been disappointing.
The Windows button unlocks the phone. I know this may seem strange but to me it was a HUGE deal. Having an unlock button, right there in the middle of the handset, was almost essential for me.
Removable battery and SD slot. Need I say more?
?245 from Expansys. Seemed rude not to buy it.

So there we have it. So far so good. :cool:

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm so glad to read something positive (finally) about the ATIV S. I hear so many angry remarks about how there is a "lack of support" for this device.

At any rate, I was eyeing the Lumia 920 for a long time because of the camera, but the large screen, and weight of this phone seemed very appealing. It felt very awkward using the ATIV S for a day or two because of how light it felt. Putting on a nice sturdy case makes the phone much more comfortable to hold; it no longer feels as if it's going to fly out of my hands. Also, this phone came at a great price, so I bought it unlocked. :)

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got my ativ s today for the bargain price of ?240 i sold my lumia 620 for it, That was definitely the right choice. I Love this phone ! After owning the 8X & Lumia 920 & 620 this is my fav WP8 which i am surprised by. The screen is glorious and makes the wp interface pop out and the design is gorgeous. The camera is brilliant maybe not 920 brilliant but not far off and the card slot and removable battery are both things i got used to having with the cheaper 620. I honestly can say i wish i got the ativ before the 920 as i much prefer it. Can't wait to play Halo on this massive screen!.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos