Spinning cogs trying to update my Samsung Ativ S

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLieteau7

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
And then I had gotten a notification for a firmware update(I believe). Since yesterday, my phone has constantly been on the screen of two gears/cogs rotating. At first, I thought it would be fine. But since yesterday, it has not stopped. I've tried from power cycling by removing the battery, removing the SIM card, attempting hard resets to get to factory settings, and even attempted to use some software on my PC to try and help it along. Problem though. Whenever I plug in my phone(yes, it's already been drained of battery life), it automatically boots itself up to the WP screen, Samsung logo, then goes back to the cogs. Now I don't know what's going on here, but I would really like a solution and FAST, as I need my phone to finish some very important business, and at the very least, keep in touch with people.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Seems like something messed up during the update. Looks like you have to do a hard reset.
Let me cite:
Hard Reset by hardware button key combination

1. Make sure you have enough battery life.
2. Turn off the Ativ-S phone by pressing the power button and holding it for a few seconds then scroll down to turn off the phone.
3. Press the Volume Down Key + Power Key to turn on the unit
4. Still hold the volume down key, the release Power Key.
5. Wait for the startup screen booting with an exclamation mark " ! " then release the volume down key.
6. Press the following buttons in the following order: press the volume up (high volume key) ==> press volume key down (low volume key) ==> press the power key ==> press volume down key.
7. Wait a moment and look at the screen, a message such as loading new software will start the hard reset process

ajfrog69

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same issue, but was able to resolve it by doing the following:

Remove and replace the battery so the device is off.

Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Camera + Power Button

When the device vibrates, release the Power Button (keep holding the rest)

The device should then show Recovery Mode (release all the buttons)

Follow the instructions on the screen

You may be prompted to press the Start Button

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
First, you need to follow what seen in the above post:

1. Make sure you have enough battery life.
2. Turn off the Ativ-S phone by pressing the power button and holding it for a few seconds then scroll down to turn off the phone.
3. Press the Volume Down Key + Power Key to turn on the unit
4. Still hold the volume down key, the release Power Key.
5. Wait for the startup screen booting with an exclamation mark " ! " then release the volume down key.
6. Press the following buttons in the following order: [...]

Once at 6, you must press the buttons ONCE AT A TIME. Press Volume Up, Depress, Press Volume Down, depress, and so on.

SymmetryPlus

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
That makes sense.
I should have made it clear I was replying to ajfog's post #3 which says to hold vol up + vol down + camera + power button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6