Using an iphone and WP with the same SIM card

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately I need an iphone for work so I was wondering if there are any issues with using both these phones on the same line with the same SIM. I recall reading something maybe a year or more ago that the iphone gets some special configs from the carrier that messes up the WP, likely apn, is this still the case or can you use both safely? Anyone doing this now? Thanks.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I believe it's actually I message that causes problems.

NOTE: SOME PHONES, INCLUDING WINDOWS PHONES, CAN HAVE SEVERE MALFUNCTION IF A SIM IS INSERTED OR REMOVED WHILE THE DEVICE IS POWERED ON.
I put it in caps because it's so important to know about this.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
iMessage will play havoc with your SMS if you register into it with that number and I'm sure work will want that.

APN and MMS can always be configured manually to override the SIM settings.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the answers. I can avoid using imessage as this is more for an internally developed app so I guess I wont have any problems. Thanks again.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I did this when I was undecided between the 6+ and my 1520. For everything to work correctly, you MUST call your carrier and have them update the IMEI in their system whenever you switch. On AT&T the quickest way to do it is through their chat. Give them your phone number and the IMEI for each phone and tell them which one you want active. I did it almost on a nightly basis for a week.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I did this when I was undecided between the 6+ and my 1520. For everything to work correctly, you MUST call your carrier and have them update the IMEI in their system whenever you switch. On AT&T the quickest way to do it is through their chat. Give them your phone number and the IMEI for each phone and tell them which one you want active. I did it almost on a nightly basis for a week.

That sounds like it might end up a right mess, especially as I use a 1520.3 and being with Tmo I'm not sure they'd be as accommodating. Thanks, going to have to rethink my options.

I'd get work to pay for a second line/SIM.

May well have to go this route.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like it might end up a right mess, especially as I use a 1520.3 and being with Tmo I'm not sure they'd be as accommodating. Thanks, going to have to rethink my options.

May well have to go this route.
I have T-Mobile and switch between a BlackBerry Passport, 1520, iPhone 6, and a Nexus 5. I've been doing it for over a year now (previously with an iPhone 5s, Z30, and 1020).
I've run into no issues outside of forgetting to unregister from imessage once, and that was due to my ipod registering after an update/reset.
I never call or chat with anyone to have anything changed. I just move my SIM over and that's that. Some days I switch my phone two or three times.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
If it's for an "internally developed app" and not much else that doesn't actually require cellular communications, just use WiFi. Leave the SIM card in your WP and enable Internet Sharing if needed offsite. No need for a SIM card to run an app.

Another issue nobody mentioned is forgetting visual voicemail settings anytime the SIM card moves to a different phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit