950xl smoking at usb-c charger :( what should I do

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
:crying:

Well after picking my youngest up from school and using phone with charger plugged. After a call I was pulling phone away from face and usb-c port started smoking I pulled charger out and it has the burning smell :( Not sure what to do. Any suggestions there are no new phones on the horizon I love the camera on this device but if I have to buy one out right I may just buy a wireless car charger and run with it a while.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Well after picking my youngest up from school and using phone with charger plugged. After a call I was pulling phone away from face and usb-c port started smoking I pulled charger out and it has the burning smell :( Not sure what to do. Any suggestions there are no new phones on the horizon I love the camera on this device but if I have to buy one out right I may just buy a wireless car charger and run with it a while.

Yikes!

Well the first thing you should do is not charge your device anymore. In fact, you should probably get a back up of some kind and turn off the Lumia completely.

Second - How old is the device? Any chance it's still under warranty?

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by buffalosolja

Don't use that charger again. If it was a Microsoft charger then it suggests the problem could be a faulty charger or faulty phone. If the charger is a 3rd party manufactured one then it might be a design fault or general incompatibility with it. First off, I would use an alternative charger, ideally a Microsoft one, and see if you have any other problems.

When I first bought my Surface Book, I plugged it in and used the power supply to charge my 950 XL at the same time. The power supply slipped down in between two cushions on my sofa so had no air getting to it. It eventually cut out and was roasting hot, with a smell of burning. I left it unplugged until it cooled down and then tried again and haven't had any problems since then.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Original charger was used?

Edit: Sorry read the whole post. What type of charger (make and model)?

I noticed the x50 lumias use an interesting set of Volts/amps apart from most other 808/810 soc phones.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I only had the ones that came with the device(s) I had a 950 at one time as well. Microsoft branded ones, I cleaned out the port alcohol wipes and toothpick tried another MS charger and it worked. I gave it a try because if it was is/was going to die had to buy a new device anyway. Still working but just on the fence on what to do in the event that it dies (try and find another one, HP Elite, or something but I really rely on camera for my family pictures).

fingers crossed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf