All these features are on the way to Outlook in 2024

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
At last check (month or two ago), the new Outlook was missing a bunch of basic Windows and Office standard keyboard features. For example, if a word is misspelled and gets a red underline in a message or meeting composition, I expect to be able to hit the Menu key on the keyboard (Shift+F10 on laptops) to get the list of alternatives. Optionally, I should also be able to right-click on it for the correct alternatives. New Outlook discarded both of those near-universal standards and replaced them with a LEFT click on the misspelled word, which has NEVER been the path to fix a misspelled word. This drove me crazy, because it was not just a missing feature (I get it will take them time to add everything), but a feature implemented in a user-hating way that breaks all consistency with the existing UI and expected UX.

Has that been fixed yet?

For missing features, the first few to leap to mind that I need are:

1. Rules support to categorize incoming messages (or for MS to move more client-only rules to the Exchange Server, but those won't work for users who don't use MS for their server hosting)
  2. Drag and drop of emails onto the calendar icon to create calendar events out of the email
  3. Some way to change the message view list to show: subject, day and time (even when it's a prior week, something current Outlook doesn't do by default, but easy to modify the default view to get that), date, size, and sender in the vertical column view with the reading pane still to the right of the message list
  4. Full support for all fields in the contacts -- including the multiple phone numbers, birthdays, spouse, children, etc.

And 1 new feature I'd like would be better Contact integration with Teams for VoIP calling. Maybe that's more of a Teams function, not sure. Just know that right now, the integration between them is clumsy at best. If I have a contact in Outlook, I should be able to call any of their numbers on the phone from the dialer built into Teams. Even better, let me initiate the call from the Outlook Contacts/People viewer.

DontBeEvil10

May 31, 2017
Visit site
"Offline support" wow that's revolutionary! no email client did this before! No one expect this feature to be there since the first public preview release!

p.s.
Do I need to specify that's sarcasm?

theirself

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I will never be able to switch to outlook on a personal level because there is no way to import my .eml accounts from the absolutely archaic and fossiled Windows Live mail. When I try (and I have tried everything, nearly) MAPI simply errors out. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria