Anyone find the color selection on WP8 uninspiring?

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, that in general I disagree with this - Although, I would say that more work could be done, allowing predefined colours for moods and some clever stuff like that!!

However, my main reason for disagreeing with this is because this is actually done by design. The point of Windows Phone, and the Accent Colour is that it allows a theme to be applied to the whole phone, not just the native apps within the OS. This means that for me (as a developer) I need to think a little bit more about being able to include this Accent Colour throughout my app, meaning that the user will feel like they have been thought about and that the app belongs on the platform.

I believe that a lot of thought has gone into the allowed colours for accents and these colours have been chosen because they do not clash when put onto either of the dark or light themes. To give an example, the HTC 8x custom accent actually starts to blend in a bit and become harder to read.

There is a big argument for allowing the user to have choice - But the majority of users won't realise that an app looks bad because of their poor choice of colour - They will just blame it on the app or the OS.

At least this way, when a colour is chosen, it works, and it works throughout everything.

So, I hope that most of you will read this and see this question with a slightly different viewpoint - I really don't believe this is lack of 'want' from Microsoft, I actually think it has been thought about very carefully

This makes a lot of sense, although I am not convinced all the current color options work perfectly throughout all apps all the time.

I would love to see more color options. I change my lockscreen image frequently during the day (with Photostream) based on an auto setting and I love to be surprised by what the next image is. I also often change my theme to complement the image. It would be cool if an app could identify colors in my lockscreen image and switch the theme color to complement or as nearly as possible match the image, rather than me having to do it manually.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
This makes a lot of sense, although I am not convinced all the current color options work perfectly throughout all apps all the time.

I would love to see more color options. I change my lockscreen image frequently during the day (with Photostream) based on an auto setting and I love to be surprised by what the next image is. I also often change my theme to complement the image. It would be cool if an app could identify colors in my lockscreen image and switch the theme color to complement or as nearly as possible match the image, rather than me having to do it manually.

Several times during they day? Sounds like maybe you should consider just working and turn the phone off. :-D

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, Photostream is set to update every four hours, so I am getting plenty of work done in between new lockscreens. Turn my phone off and stop messing around with it? Why would I do that? :p

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Owning both a Omnia 7 with amoled and a Lumia 920 I can say that the colors looks very different on the two. Another reason for MS to give us a palette.

Deejay faiz

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Am not happy at all i like my phone to look diffrent and i cant do that with lumia symbian had this amaizing side of changing themes which gave us a very wide selection of colours..why not with lumia..the tiles are also square and after sometime they look boring...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124