ASUS' answer to the Steam Deck drops to $399 with specs crushing Valve's cheapest model — making it the best value handheld

Phyzzi

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
With 512GB of solid-state storage and a gorgeous 120Hz screen, the Ryzen Z1 ROG Ally is temporarily $200 off with a discount from ASUS at Best Buy.

ASUS' answer to the Steam Deck drops to $399 with specs crushing Valve's cheapest model — making it the best value handheld : Read more
I can see how having Win11 might be an advantage for some games, but for a handheld it's a huge disadvantage for a lot of other games. SteamOS is simply more streamlined. MS is missing the purpose built lightweight OS market a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love Win11 on my hummer of a desktop, and I the flexibility to do PC VR, 3D modeling and printing, and AAA games from the same place, but that's not a thing I want on a portable and so I will always choose the lightest thing that will get me there if I can.

Annie_M

Jan 31, 2019
Visit site
I can see how having Win11 might be an advantage for some games, but for a handheld it's a huge disadvantage for a lot of other games. SteamOS is simply more streamlined. MS is missing the purpose built lightweight OS market a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love Win11 on my hummer of a desktop, and I the flexibility to do PC VR, 3D modeling and printing, and AAA games from the same place, but that's not a thing I want on a portable and so I will always choose the lightest thing that will get me there if I can.
Hello and welcome to Windows Central!

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
The Asus is lighter and smaller than the Steam Deck. I already think the Asus is bordering on being too big but next to the Steam Deck, it's svelte.

You still have big picture mode for Steam if you don't like Asus's software.

And not only do you have Steam, you also have all the other gaming stores. Plus you have PC Game Pass. You can use your VR headsets. Games run better on the Asus (yes, Steam Deck fans will always point out the few exceptions).

I like my Steam Deck but it's the least used of my portables. Asus > Switch > Steam Deck. It would totally switch places with my Switch if you could easily use PC Game Pass.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Competition is good!
Advantages of this one other than specs:
- You can buy it anywhere, no need for region locked Valve nonsense.
- Has Windows in it so you can do anything besides Steam (You can also do Steam identically).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital