ASUS has perfected the dual-screen touch experience with 120Hz OLED on my new favorite Windows laptop

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Or, for $100 you can buy a portable 16" monitor that plugs into a USB-C port for power and video. Instant dual screens on any laptop. Since I run Windows 11 Arm in a VM on this 16" MacBook Pro, I typically have Mac on one screen and Windows on the other. Very useful.

Granted, this is not a touchscreen. But since neither Windows (nor Windows apps) nor MacOS (nor Mac apps) are designed for a touch screen, it's not a problem for me.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Or, for $100 you can buy a portable 16" monitor that plugs into a USB-C port for power and video. Instant dual screens on any laptop. Since I run Windows 11 Arm in a VM on this 16" MacBook Pro, I typically have Mac on one screen and Windows on the other. Very useful.

Granted, this is not a touchscreen. But since neither Windows (nor Windows apps) nor MacOS (nor Mac apps) are designed for a touch screen, it's not a problem for me.

All fair points, but I would say that while it's true Windows apps are not really designed to be used primarily with touch, many common functions like scrolling, zooming, and moving windows work really well with touch. I find I use touch for those and use the touchpad (or mouse if connected) for other more precision-oriented clicking. I don't think about/notice the time to move my hand to the screen for scrolling, it's just much more intuitive.

I know it's just a matter of personal preference, but I could never go back to to a non-touch laptop (my current model is an HP Spectre, where my wife and kids use Surface Studio and Surface Pro and Surface Go).

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
This laptop is SO frustrating. It's very competitive price and feature-wise to the Lenovo i9, but... you can't fold the screens back 360 degrees and even in 180 mode, the two screens aren't level - one sits quite a way back from the other.

I know they'd have to have a wider gap between the screens to accomodate the keyboard, but even a wider hinge would have been a better option.

Each incarnation of the Duo has gotten better... Maybe with 2025 model will hit the sweet spot.

Also, a 13" model would be nice...

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
All fair points, but I would say that while it's true Windows apps are not really designed to be used primarily with touch, many common functions like scrolling, zooming, and moving windows work really well with touch. I find I use touch for those and use the touchpad (or mouse if connected) for other more precision-oriented clicking. I don't think about/notice the time to move my hand to the screen for scrolling, it's just much more intuitive.

I know it's just a matter of personal preference, but I could never go back to to a non-touch laptop (my current model is an HP Spectre, where my wife and kids use Surface Studio and Surface Pro and Surface Go).
Also, kind of forgetting that it can be used with a pen as well, which gives you 'mouse level' precision.

For me, it's become such a natural thing to reach up and tap a button on the screen with a finger that when I'm on a non-touch device, it just feels clumsy.

Reactions: GraniteStateColin

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site

For $120 you can get a touchscreen 14" USB-C portable display. I use one with my ROG Flow Z13 tablet.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
For $120 you can get a touchscreen 14" USB-C portable display. I use one with my ROG Flow Z13 tablet.

Does that support Ink too, or just touch? If it does support Ink, what model is it?

I have a small 11" Ink-supporting touchscreen hooked up to my main desktop PC, but unlike on my HP Spectre, I don't use it much. Mostly just for Inking to draw diagrams or sign documents. But if I could go to a 14" screen, that would be big enough I might use it a lot more, but only if it also supported Ink.

Seems to be hard to find Ink-supporting third-party displays, or it least it was last time I looked, which is probably a few years back now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital