Bad Luck with my Surface Pro 2

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my SP2 in early Nov at the closest MS store (A bit over an hours drive) for me. I bought the 256MB model along with the type cover, arc mouse SE, the dock and a generic neoprene netbook case. Since I have gotten to the point when I'm pretty much done with building computers and having parts all over the place I decided to go for convergence. My new surface would replace three of my four computers. Most of the parts lying around would get sold, given away or trashed along with those three computers. My 4th computer is use exclusively as a Home Theater using Windows Media Center. It's not really setup well for any use other than as the home theater. For about 3 months the device worked nearly flawlessly. Occasionally it wouldn't boot (turning it on would display the mouse cursor on a black screen. Holding the power button would cause a proper boot. It booted EXTREMELY quickly, shut down in no time. Loved the way it works with the dock. I use it for many things from managing my finances to software development. My Dock is connected to a 21" external monitor, a 1TB USB drive, a USB DVD writer, and external speakers.

One night mid Feb I was using my tab in bed playing a game when all at once the tablet winked off without warning. I was unable to turn it back on. It was completely unexpected. That was on a Saturday night. It was pretty late, I didnt' feel like fiddling with it. So I went to sleep. Next morning it wouldn't reboot. Now, I'm a computer scientist. I have been using computers since 5th grade when I bought my own first computer (A Timex Sinclair 1000 LOL). I have built many a PC in my time. The Surface Pro 2 is the first computer I have owned which is a black box. Not going to open it.

So I made an appointment with my MS store, drove up. They saw that I hadn't purchased Complete Care so they tell me they will be shipping the tablet out. When I ask how long its going to take he says to me, "Not long, only two to three weeks!". Since I decided I didn't want to be a duche I didnt' question it. However, 2 to three weeks is not acceptable! In the 90's when I was buying thinkpads from IBM if I had an issue IBM would send me a replacement computer (usually overnight) and I would use the carton to return my dead computer: that was 2 to 3 days. So now I would essentially be computer-less (yes there's the home theater but that's not setup to use easily as a computer)... computer-less for up to 3 weeks! All my financial data, saved web sited login, all my personal information accessed on that surface that's going to who-the-heck-knows.

Well The computer arrived this past Tues. I believe it is a refurb as the paint is chipped around the USB port but I can't tell for sure. No documentation arrived with it. It was just a tablet in a box.

The replacement device has been completely flaky. Random reboots. Usually doesn't boot the first few times I press the power button. Sometimes doesn't shut down when I tell it to. Often takes a very long time to boot (yes, fast booting is selected in control panel). Often takes a very long time to **** down. Often after booting, I can't do anything for about 30 to 60 seconds while it continues to do whatever. Usually the tiles don't render immediately, then they slowly all render over a second or two.

So I now have a $1300 device that I'm afraid my fail at any time. I'm leary about putting my personal information onto to have lost again. I paid $1300 with the expectation of having a working device. I been with and only used MS OS based computers since DOS 3.3. But now I don't know what to do. If I take it back to the MS store they will insist on simply resetting... which won't work. As I have said I have been building computers for many years. I know the difference between a hardware and software issue.

One thing I did do, which I hope gives me a small advantage, as soon as I got the replacement tablet, I went to myservice.surface.com and purchaced the Microsoft Complete Care and registered this replacement tablet.

I can't find an email address or place on the MS web site to lodge a complaint. I can't find a phone number, or a support chat. I don't think there's a point to complain at the MS store. What I want is a brand new 100% functional replacement. I don't feel that I can rely upon this device otherwise.

Does anyone else have similar experience or advice?

Thanks for your help.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am really sorry to hear you've had so many problems with your Surface Pro 2. Have you tried posting on social media? Perhaps you'll get better results contacting Microsoft Store's Facebook or Twitter.

Last edited:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Call the store you purchased it at. Ask for management. Explain the issues to them as you've explained them here. Relate clearly and concisely how this device that was sent to you is completely unacceptable, and the reason(s) why. That you patronized their store and paid $1300 for a device that should operate like a $1300 device. That based on your vast experience, you understand that parts sometimes fail and it happens. DO offer to go one more/last (?) time to come into the store to exchange bad for new. Regardless of the answer you get, ensure that you get the manager's name and possible employee ID number so that you have a point of contact at the physical location for the exchange.
If you are met with a response that just does not work for you, remember that there is a chain of command. You might be speaking to a shift/assistant manager, get info for the store manager. You can ask for the regional supervisor, but I would ask for direct Corporate contact info. I was also able to, just now, find my local(est) district office's phone number via Contact Us on Windows.com. You'll get the situation resolved as long as you're cool, calm and collected. Please let us know how it goes.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Had a similar issue escalating with Microsoft's online team, they're not really useful.
For any company. Usually, online chat and e-mail is the worst method to contact a company.
Chat is usually outsourced and just follow a well defined set of rules. They can't bend them. They are a third party company, their contract is to follow the rules set.
E-mail usually goes through a machine which auto-reply based on key words. And the person behind has little to no power.

Now they are exceptions. And I don't know how it works for Microsoft. I could be wrong. But usually, that is how it is.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I wish you luck in getting this resolved. If it helps any, I've had nothing but good experiences with the exchange process.

For my SP1 with a faulty SD slot, I got it replaced with a brand new unit, no questions asked at the kiosk I purchased it from at launch. This case actually began over the phone, and the rep actually called the Microsoft store near me to give them a heads-up that I would be coming to do an exchange. I later got a 512GB SP2 that had paint issues out of the box, purchased at Best Buy this time. After speaking with customer support via online chat, I was only Surface-less for a few days doing their standard return service, but it was all paid for by Microsoft and I got another brand new replacement.

And I say these instances not to brag, but to maybe give you the encouragement to try and truly get what you paid for.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Call the store you purchased it at. Ask for management. Explain the issues to them as you've explained them here. Relate clearly and concisely how this device that was sent to you is completely unacceptable, and the reason(s) why. That you patronized their store and paid $1300 for a device that should operate like a $1300 device. That based on your vast experience, you understand that parts sometimes fail and it happens. DO offer to go one more/last (?) time to come into the store to exchange bad for new. Regardless of the answer you get, ensure that you get the manager's name and possible employee ID number so that you have a point of contact at the physical location for the exchange.
If you are met with a response that just does not work for you, remember that there is a chain of command. You might be speaking to a shift/assistant manager, get info for the store manager. You can ask for the regional supervisor, but I would ask for direct Corporate contact info. I was also able to, just now, find my local(est) district office's phone number via Contact Us on Windows.com. You'll get the situation resolved as long as you're cool, calm and collected. Please let us know how it goes.

This is good advice, and I'll add one more thing to it. Be polite, but be firm. Be nice, but be clear that this is not acceptable. Don't take your frustrations out on the person you're talking to, as they didn't have anything to do with the failure. I've worked in extended warranties, and no way would I bend the rules for someone who treated me like dirt. But if someone was kind to me and understood that I didn't cause the failure, I might try to arrange something that maybe shouldn't be covered, if you get my drift. Good luck.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I want to thank you all for your replies. The process has been a bit annoying but I'm a pretty calm person, so the "cool calm and collected" part isn't a problem for me.

I eventually managed to contact someone via chat. Explained my situation and that I wanted contact information to get into contact with a person of authority by phone. They arranged a callback by a supervisor. The supervisor went through all the standard troubleshooting steps (which is always annoying but I remained patient with it). Finally he agreed that this replacement needs replacing. Unfortunately, he still wouldn't guarantee that I could just walk into a store and exchange with a new device. He didn't really offer me anything "special". He directed me to log into myservice.surface.com, setup an advanced exchange via the web site (which means that I provide a credit card and they put a hold on my card for the $1300 cost of a new device). They will ship me a replacement. I will use the shipping container to ship this one back. When the receive the device they will remove the hold from my card. I did that Sunday evening. Today is Tuesday. myservice.surface.com still states that they are processing the order. It will change shipped and have a tracking number once the replacement is on its way. Excellent service would have shipped the replacement on first business day, Monday. Superior service would have had me go to my kiosk (down the street) or to the MS store an hour away and have my replacement waiting.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
That is indeed not top notch service.

To be honest I would have expected better from Microsoft. It is a $1300 device!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv