Best android alternative to Lumia 950

Jeamavanda

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
I too have been researching android phones to transition to. My criteria is almost identical to yours and the one thing I'm really surprised at is the lack of wireless charging on some of these high end android phones. Of course you have the full Samsung lines, the Motorola Z2 line and the LG V30 has it. The V30 is intriguing but it's a little too big for my taste.

I switched from 950xl to LG V30, but there is one single thing that has me disappointed. It is the camera. I used to get excellent pictures of my kids at play with my Lumia. No matter what they were doing. Jumping, running, etc. The pictures were always perfect. I’ve tried to do the same with my new LG V30 and I get nothing but blur images. And I miss the dedicated camera button too.

ceraf

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I switched from a Lumia 950 XL to a Sony Xperia Z5 and stuck the SquareHome 2 launcher on it. Sony's boxy design seems to work really well with the Windows Phone tile-based UI, and the camera while not the greatest is still decent. The newer Xperias (particularly the XZ, XZs, XZ Premium, XZ1) seem a bit reminiscent of the old N9/L800/L920 design language (flat top and bottom, rounded sides) and IMO would be good options.

I'm currently on a Nokia 8. I'm hoping they bring back the old Lumia Camera UI once HMD global sorts out the patents/licensing with Microsoft.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Switched from 950 to a Nokia 6, a pretty cheap phone. I got it because it's supposed to be vanilla android, which it mostly is. The fingerprint reader is nice and open straight away. However, I still miss the 950. The notifications, things like the reminder from Outlook appointments when you switch phone off, are missed. All the niggles on android just add up for me and the frustration is underlying my daily use. Maybe the top of the range Samsung's or Pixels are better. However, I'm still of the opinion that MSFT will never be able to create a fully integrated mobile experience with Android.

Bartphone

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Loved my 950 during the 1,5 years I used it, bought a Z5 Compact last year when I went to Sziget (the payment app was only android and iOS) and it felt like coming home... scrollable widgets and some nice launchers like nova with vertical scrolling got me back. But I hated the slowness of the camera, the poor battery life, so went back to the 950 and sold that second hand Z5 again. after a couple months of using the 950 again, bought a second hand (almost new) LG G5 to test its dual camera potential. The LCD is great (no burn in or degradation), bright colours, Android keeps being fluid with 4GB of RAM and the charging cradle (BCK-5100) Made it work like a dream, I'm in love with the super wide angle camera as a secondary lens and it's fantastic to have every possible app. Use it with all Microsoft services side by side to my Surface Pro :) (with signature type cover hahaha) Could recommend LG to anyone with a 950, just go for the V30 (or older V20 and maybe even G6) if you want to have better audio when recording at festivals...

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
HTC U11 even though it lacks wireless charging. With the edge squeeze feature you can activate the camera (which is among the best of any phone in 2017) and even take a picture with it. HTC sense is lightweight and out performs MS launcher (though less pretty).

I never found the live tile launchers quite as satisfying and only served to remind me how good the W10 ui was for mobile.

SethAugust

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Just double press the power button on the S8 and your camera will open. It has worked just fine for me. There are some adjustments in making the change, but in time I have increasingly been feeling happy on Android... But only after installing MS ARROW launcher, BING, OneNote, Teams, etc. I will always miss WP, but I appreciate the access to apps, banking, Samsung Pay, etc. I much prefer this to IOS (which the rest of my family uses).

Nesh1259

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Ok... I give, the killing of groove music and forced migration to Spotify has broken my back on this. I've decided that rather than buying a new screen protector and battery (which has become seemingly hard to find anyway) It's time for me to consider migration to another phone I can't stand the iPhone gui, drives me nuts, I can't explain why.... Just ick. So I think after watching some Microsoft launcher demo videos, and the fact that I can make Cortana default voice assistant in android, it might be time to pull the trigger, although with great reluctance.

Which phone would be best for a Lumia convert? I love my camera, so I'd want a similar to camera, with physical camera button, or mapped accordingly when camera is open, and wireless qi charging. I'll be on ATT for what It's worth. I'll probably change the launcher to launcher 10 or arrow.

Anything else I should be considering?

I'm sure its been asked before, but of the quick sampling i got, a lot of the requests are from Europe, or looking for midrange devices. I'll probably finance through att next, so rather than limit choices, throw them at me.

It's there any hope for a Microsoft OS'ed phone in the near future, should I hold on to hope (only to likely be stabbed in the other leg by Microsoft ?)

I find this all just..... Very..... Frustrating. Microsoft is It's own worst enemy, I swear, and Nadella while he seems to be making the board very happy, doesn't even seem to have consumer relations in his view, which will likely prove disastrous. But none of that is something I can change. I can however change my phone. :(

Try the LG V20 or V30. The camera on those phones is great. The phones run really smooth, the LG V20 has a removable metal back with access to the battery and memory card. Run with the MS Launcher and the Lock Screen app the phone is quite good. There is my tuppence opinion. Keep in mind...it's only an opinion.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Just double press the power button on the S8 and your camera will open. It has worked just fine for me. There are some adjustments in making the change, but in time I have increasingly been feeling happy on Android... But only after installing MS ARROW launcher, BING, OneNote, Teams, etc. I will always miss WP, but I appreciate the access to apps, banking, Samsung Pay, etc. I much prefer this to IOS (which the rest of my family uses).

Yes, that launches it, and you can use volume up as a shutter button, but it's still only single stage. Lumias really had something seemingly special with the dual stage shutter button.

longcipher

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Lumia 950 to a white Essential phone and am very happy. Yes, nothing beats the W10M interface, but the Microsoft Launcher on an Essential phone is pretty damn sweet. The hardware is beyond compare, it's feels divine in your hand. I also just bought it on the $499 deal, so I haven't encountered any of the hiccups and growing pains that the early adopters complained about. The UX is solid for me.

Best of all, the Essential community on Reddit is great -- almost feels like a Windows Phone community in that it's small and passionate and, sadly, kind of like underdogs. Definitely check it out.

CB43FAN

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I have f8nally switched to a Samsung Galaxy J7 that I got over a year ago to try the switch and I just couldn't give up so many W10 features and switched back. One year on, I have switched back to the J7 for good. Camera is acceptable, Cortana and all the MS apps are there, and even better than on W10. The always been app has been exponentially improved, and the best of all, Square launcher, make it look like W10 start screen and even more customizable tiles. All this and an awesome amoled screen, it is a worthy replacement of my 1520 and Idol 4s. On better hardware, all of what I mentioned would be a stellar W10 replacement. You just have to learn that some things are different and inferior to what W10 offers, but in the end there really is no choice anymore.

Garry Terry

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
There isn't an Android equivalent, or an iOS equivalent to the 950, or any other Windows Phone. Why keep selling the death of Windows Phone? Could it really have really cost that much for Microsoft to continue a mobile presence? It did help sell 365 subscriptions. IMHO, the best alternative to a 950 is a flip phone that has LTE. LTE Flip Phone for talk/text that has a mobile hotspot so you can use any older Windows Phone for email, Office, etc.
And save a bundle of dough.

Sefin

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I own honor 9 after lumia 950XL.
good phone, but not good enough.
It lacks oled pannel and its camera is poor.

I am waiting for a discount on note 8.
That is in my opinion the best phone currently on the market even with its bad finger print sensor on the back.

I was playing with note 8 for a while in shops and I will go for it for sure.

I am hoping for some discount on black friday 😀

JGNagel

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi, after my 950xl having battery problem I turned over to a Motorola Moto g5s plus. Until now everything is working OK but I do miss the live tiles. I now realize how much info the tiles gave me. I now have to open apps much more to get information.
Regarding the moto, it's very quick, pretty good specs for a midrange phone.

abel46

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
No wireless changing, but quick change. Dual camera, but not as good as on Lumia 950 XL. But you have telephoto lens, that somehow helps. It does have a headphone jack, and a very quick fingerprint reader.

I have use OnePlus 5 for 6 weeks, and then switched back to Lumia 950 XL again. But then I need to carry two phones, because the lack of some apps on Lumia. Now I'm trying for the second time to use only the OnePlus 5, but there is much I miss. Like the calendar function, sending SMS and other basic things.
I use no Google services, maybe that is part of the problem. But since the people working at Microsoft seems to be happy with Android, maybe it's me. Maybe I should buy an iPhone and try if that works better?

dod888

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok... I give, the killing of groove music and forced migration to Spotify has broken my back on this. I've decided that rather than buying a new screen protector and battery (which has become seemingly hard to find anyway) It's time for me to consider migration to another phone I can't stand the iPhone gui, drives me nuts, I can't explain why.... Just ick. So I think after watching some Microsoft launcher demo videos, and the fact that I can make Cortana default voice assistant in android, it might be time to pull the trigger, although with great reluctance.

Which phone would be best for a Lumia convert? I love my camera, so I'd want a similar to camera, with physical camera button, or mapped accordingly when camera is open, and wireless qi charging. I'll be on ATT for what It's worth. I'll probably change the launcher to launcher 10 or arrow.

I'm sure its been asked before, but of the quick sampling i got, a lot of the requests are from Europe, or looking for midrange devices. I'll probably finance through att next, so rather than limit choices, throw them at me.

It's there any hope for a Microsoft OS'ed phone in the near future, should I hold on to hope (only to likely be stabbed in the other leg by Microsoft ?)

I find this all just..... Very..... Frustrating. Microsoft is It's own worst enemy, I swear, and Nadella while he seems to be making the board very happy, doesn't even seem to have consumer relations in his view, which will likely prove disastrous. But none of that is something I can change. I can however change my phone. :(

I just buy LG V20 after they announce the arrival of LG V30. The phone price already fallen and I don't want to pay premium just for the phone. The V20 feels sturdy enough and hopefully it can serve me 3+ years. I have a habit to take a long time before change the gadget. (Previously Lumia 920, Lumia 520, LG Optimus G Pro):evil:

Harry_Mattocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site

I have recently switched from my Lumia 950XL to a OnePlus 5, and it was the right decision. There are tonnes of customisation options, and Oxygen OS is basically stock Android, just with a few, non-intrusive features added (such as gestures).

Carlo Razzeto

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been happy with the Moto Z2 Force edition. What sold me is the screen which is literally guaranteed not to crack or shatter for our years. Over all design is satisfying and the power is there. Recommendations if you choose this device

Install 3rd party driving mode app, to ensure you can still answer your texts while driving
Deck it out with Microsoft, office apps, skype, outlook, launcher etc.
With that in mind, CORTANA

The S8 was another strong contender in my mind due to it's extreme water resistance. However.... There is literally no way to protect it's bump screen and if you do break it (the Verizon sales guys friend did, which was my personal final push to Z2 force) it will cost you $300 to fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria