Bye Bye, Check back in a month or so

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This is an exciting, tumultuous time for gadget lovers. Hang on, and keep your hands and feet inside the car for the duration of the roller coaster ride.

I've used everything but a Blackberry as my main phone during the past year, testing each mobile OS to see which one fits my daily needs and preferences best. Between Android, iOS, webOS and WP7, the most interesting has to be WP7. Microsoft has done a great job creating a fluid, fresh OS design. If they can get a handle on releasing updates with the same proficiency that Apple does with iOS, they'll really have something special. As for me, I too am returning to iOS. WP7 is almost there. But there are too many things that work better in iOS right now for me to switch. Two examples:

(1) When I receive an email in WP7, none of the embedded images are loaded. WP7 only shows the text, with little or no formatting. The document viewer, which should be a strength for Microsoft, doesn't show the document properly either. The same email in iOS has all of its embedded images downloaded and placed properly. The attached document looks closer to the original in iOS too. Is WP7 usable for email and attached documents? Of course. But the experience is better in iOS. (And, for that matter, better in webOS too.) Microsoft should be able to close this gap.

(2) iOS receives fair criticism for its awful notification "system." WP7's notifications are nice and unobtrusive. They're also unreliable. The only place in WP7 where notifications regularly appear when they're supposed to is on the Start screen. If you're in an app, you may not get the notification because it isn't persistent until dismissed, or fails to appear at all. Microsoft needs to work on this, and add a notification history function while they're at it.

Overall, I love the efficiency of using WP7. The calendar and contacts management are both much more pleasant to use than any of the other mobile OSes.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
cant really just give up like that when theres a problem. if you have a problem, report it to MS and by the way its MS not M$ (hate when people do that) and then they will fix it as they already have with NoDo. on my arrive i have no issues at all with installing apps from the marketplace, giving up and going back to the likes of the rotten apple wont do anything

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen