civilization 5 full screen

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Love my Surface Pro 3; it is perfect except for one issue.
Whenever I try to play Civ 5, in full screen mode, at anything less than native resolution, I get a very small game screen. Like the game doesn't actually expand to fill up the whole screen but has black bars all around (like some of those annoyingly bad YouTube videos).
This happen to all versions of Civ 5. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I've searched all over the net without a solution. I'm contemplating bringing my surface to a Microsoft store, but I doubt they can do anything.

Of course an obvious workaround is to just play at 2160x1440, but this make the tablet run super warm, fan loud, and game play laggy. I'd rather lower the resolution for higher frame rate.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Which version of Surface Pro 3 do you have? I am interested to use Surface Pro to play this type of game too. Civ 5 has great touch interface.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have played this game a few times on my Surface Pro 3 256gb 8GB RAM. The game is very playable in my opinion. And looks decent. I have played it on the highest resolution. And it kicks the fan in. I can tell you right now this game is probably still going to kick the fan in no matter what resolution it is set at. I have it set to 1366, 768 and it still has the fan going a little and i'm on the menu. I tried playing with the settings and see the issue you speak of. This is not an issue with your Surface this is an issue with how the game was developed. To fix this issue I suggest changing the Windows 8 native resolution to a lower resolution so you can obtain a full screen window. Keep in mind this will not allow you to see more in the game this will only zoom in on what you saw before. A higher resolution for this game allows the user to see a bigger chunk of the map.

If you take it to the Microsoft store they would probably tell you the same thing. Also i'm curious to know what you have your graphical settings set to so I can better compare for gameplay regarding the laggyness you are seeing.

Hope this was helpful!

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
This game also lagged on my Dell laptop (Second generation of Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM).

I have played this game a few times on my Surface Pro 3 256gb 8GB RAM. The game is very playable in my opinion. And looks decent. I have played it on the highest resolution. And it kicks the fan in. I can tell you right now this game is probably still going to kick the fan in no matter what resolution it is set at. I have it set to 1366, 768 and it still has the fan going a little and i'm on the menu. I tried playing with the settings and see the issue you speak of. This is not an issue with your Surface this is an issue with how the game was developed. To fix this issue I suggest changing the Windows 8 native resolution to a lower resolution so you can obtain a full screen window. Keep in mind this will not allow you to see more in the game this will only zoom in on what you saw before. A higher resolution for this game allows the user to see a bigger chunk of the map.

If you take it to the Microsoft store they would probably tell you the same thing. Also i'm curious to know what you have your graphical settings set to so I can better compare for gameplay regarding the laggyness you are seeing.

Hope this was helpful!

katmandoo122

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I play it all the time on my i5 SP3. It looks great and has no substantial lag, although computer turns do take a while in late game (as they do on my i7 desktop). I'm not sure why your resolution is messed up - I didn't change anything on mine or on my SP3. I guess I should mention that I play it through Steam so if you bypassed Steam and did a direct installation, perhaps the configuration is different.

Having said that, I tried playing Baldurs Gate Enhanced, also though Steam, and the res was totally screwed up to the point that it if I had a dime for every pixel, I'd have 40 cents. Never did manage to fix that.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Hope this was helpful!

well I had mine set at all low with high textures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di