[Concept] Yet another concept for W10P

jjag520

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I guess this is but another concept in a vast online sea filled with Windows 10 concepts. And yes, I know everyone's tired of seeing concepts that would never be, but I just couldn't help myself lol. To me, this really is more of a visualized wish-list than a concept. The big idea behind this though isn't too far out as other concepts I've seen, so in a way, this is a little less exciting yet a little more feasible... I guess? Most are minor tweaks, adjustments, additions, and wishes I would love to see come to WP.

If anyone out there is interested in checking it out, I've uploaded it on Stampsy (it's sort of like an online magazine/blog).
Windows X for Phones: A ******'s Visualized Wishlist ? Stampsy

and here's a screenshot
screenie.png

if you're planning on viewing or have viewed it, thank you :)

any sort of feedback is welcome and appreciated :)

oh and just putting it out there, English isn't my native language, so I do apologize for any grammatical errors. [in case some grammar nazi is out to get me lol]

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
This is really nice concept!
Love those custom colour toast notifications and interactive live tiles. Awesome! Those features should really be considered by Microsoft.

Ostbiten

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Have seen a lot good W10-concepts, but this is hands down the best yet! :)

Microsoft - hire this guy or at least, take a look at this.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
OMG this was literally the greatest w10 concept I've ever seen...by far the best! Every visual aspect was simply perfect, and a seamless blend between windows phones blacks whites and greys with an accent color and desktop windows splash of different shades of a colors! It was really beautiful and the features listed were awesome,wud love for this to be the real thing!!😃 this needs more attention, Microsoft needs to see this

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I really like what you've come up with. I personally wish the hamburger menu would remain & the pivots remain retired. I do, however, feel that the hamburger icon should be relocated to the lower right corner of the apps, replacing pivots and ellipsis with an expanding menu at the bottom of the screen. The ellipsis is just a rather awkward indicator of for a "menu". As for pivots, when you get more than 3 pivots --- it's the opposite of convenient. A photo app, sure it works fine. MSN Money App with sections for News / My Money / Market / Watch List / Personal Finance / Tools....ugh, no thanks.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The ellipsis is just a rather awkward indicator of for a "menu".
Well, don't think of it as "menu," think of it as "there's more." The hamburger icon is a relatively new idea for "menu" while the ellipsis has been used since the 1980's to indicate that additional features/options will be presented, such as seeing "Save as..." in a file menu (excluding the newer ribbon-based Office apps). See Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more on that.

As for pivots, when you get more than 3 pivots --- it's the opposite of convenient.
It's true that a wider-than-the-screen pivot header list makes random access difficult, but that can be addressed by changing the header style, as Microsoft has already done in some of the newer WP8.1. I think that the real driver for introducing a different type of UI is to allow apps to use the side-swiping gesture themselves rather than having the UI consume the gesture.

I also don't think that pivots are going away. They'll be used for some app types while the newer split-view control will be used for others.

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
It's true that a wider-than-the-screen pivot header list makes random access difficult, but that can be addressed by changing the header style, as Microsoft has already done in some of the newer WP8.1. I think that the real driver for introducing a different type of UI is to allow apps to use the side-swiping gesture themselves rather than having the UI consume the gesture.

I also don't think that pivots are going away. They'll be used for some app types while the newer split-view control will be used for others.

I hadn't thought of the conflict between pivot left/right swipes (i.e. 8.1 use of pivots) and content left/right swipes before (i.e. iOS mail up, W10 mail app)...but it makes sense.

Just pulled up my email app on 8.1 to think about it further...if I'm thinking only about that one use case (email app), then I think the new model does work better. Because I'll more often want to tag a number of emails for deletion quickly (with a swipe), versus toggling my mailbox filters.

On my Surface, in Win 8.1...you swipe up on content to select it (thus keeping the pivot swipe left/right intact). But that only works well enough for tiled content...it would be clunky in the mail app.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
On my Surface, in Win 8.1...you swipe up on content to select it (thus keeping the pivot swipe left/right intact).
The Windows 8 "modern app" gesture to select an item (swipe it vertically -- either up or down) only works because those apps limit scrolling to the horizontal direction. Pivots and panos allow scrolling horizontally to change panels and vertically to show more content -- preventing the Win8 "select item" gesture from working on a pano/pivot.

Interestingly, the Windows 8.1 Start screen was forced to abandon the swipe up/down gesture to select an item BECAUSE the Start screen uses the up/down gesture to switch between the tiles panel and the all programs panel. So, in the Windows 8.1 Start screen, the gesture to display a context menu of choices is the same as it is in Windows Phone: a long press.

It's easy to draw concept images. (Well, not really -- I have no such talent.) It's much more difficult to figure out how to design an interface that makes it intuitive for a human to interact with a device via the interface. I do not like the switch to hamburger menus. My reasons are many (and documented all over this forum). That doesn't mean that there isn't a good way to design a new interface. So far, we haven't seen such a design and there's been lots of inconsistency in how Microsoft has implemented "hamburgers" in their own apps. As such, I remain worried that what we'll get will be less usable than what we already have. And I say that knowing that there are lots of people who like -- or think that they like -- hamburger menus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maritku