H - HSDPA
H+ - HSPA+
L - LTE or 4G or whatever.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
From 2010:

I wasn't aware of any official definition of the term "4G" at the time, but I did work for an AT&T retail store back then. I know for a fact that many HSPA+ phones were marketed as 4G and had a 4G indicator icon well before AT&T had rolled out an LTE network.
My AT&T Pre3 was listed as 4G even though it was HSDPA. As Ozzie famously quipped "how many bloody Gs are there?"

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so the reality regarding standards in most of the world is 2G goes up to Edge, 3G goes up to H+ and 4G is everything above. There is no such thing as 2.5/3.5G. Now, technically according to the standard H+ can be carried over a 4G network as well as a 3G network, which opened the door to some less than honest US companies marketing their H+ service as 4G to mislead. Nice. The result is that when 4G was truly introduced to the US they had to come up with a new name for it, hence LTE. If you have a non-US phone and it shows 4G that means it is running on LTE. If your US phone gets confused and thinks it is a non-US phone and starts showing 4G and H+ when it drops down, then it is running at LTE speeds whilst 4G is on the screen. It's just the phrasing that's different. Worry not, you're getting the full speed connection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124