Continuum Display Dock supported resolutions?

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Just as the headline states, I'm still not clear on resolutions for the dock. I have a old HD ready TV (yes, its 720p). Will the dock work on lesser then 1080p? I know for a fact my old Surface RT wouldn't. My tv can go 1080i, but somehow the Surface RT won't recognize that. So how much legacy will work here? (And no, I don't have money to just go buy a new TV, in fact I shouldn't really buy the Lumia 950 XL in the first place), but I dropped my 1520 hard and need a new phone :-(.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I believe they advertise that it will do 1080p. I could be wrong, but I think your tv will accept higher than 720p image and then downscale it to the native resolution (720p). So in theory it should work. Also you don't need the Microsoft display dock, any miracast receiver will work, although there may be some lag.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thnx for posting, but I was looking for more of a yes or no answer. It should work, well, I thought so about RT. And sure I can watch the desktop, but not launch any apps on it because apps runns only in higher resolutions.

Robin Tick

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I did not have any luck hooking up a 1920x1200 monitor to the dock, the monitor did act like it was receving a video signal ( not complaining about no signal ) but all I got was a black screen.
It's a Samsung 2444BW DVI monitor, I have two and both have the same issue, I bought a DVI to Displayport converter to be able to connect them to the dock at all but no luck.

I had no trouble connecting a different native 1920x1080 monitor through HDMI to the dock, although when I looked closely some interface elements were jittery, it did work though.
The jitter was not present when that monitor connected to a PC.

My conclusion is that the dock does not like screens with a higher native resolution than 1920x1080.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I got my dock today and have tried connecting to my own 720p tv and a friends full 1080p TV, the results have been good. It all works well. Now all I need is some content, like apps and games.
I also noted that in the beginning I had various results after connecting my phone. Some weird screen issues and on one occasion where the phone froze and I had to pull the plug, but that was not enough, i also had to push the power button to terminate the connection. I noticed that it got confused with if it was a 720 or 1080 resolution afterwards. But after a restart of the phone everything just clicked in to place and have been good.

OOSHTBHFAM

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if you've tried again since December, but I just started using Continuum on a Samsung 2433BW. I connect using an HDMI to DVI cable.

It did seem as though it wasn't going to work, but after less than a minute, I'd say, it came on. I had the monitor on already in standby. When it didn't work right away, I went button by button on the monitor just pressing them once to see if one would cause it to switch inputs or something. Somewhere in there I noticed it was back to standby so I powered off and on. I may have done nothing in particular with my phone, too.

There's an app called Disable Screen to prevent burnin if you don't plan to use your phone while using Continuum, by the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadpool7788