Cortana on Surface Headphones 2?

RalphieD

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I am hoping to get the Surface Headphone 2 for a father's and birthday gift. I am thinking of linking them to my Android Phone. My Android phone has the Cortana app which has Connected Homes and music. I should be able to turn on/off my lights and play music from Spotify using the Headphones. Does this sound like it would work? Has anyone done this yet?

RalphieD

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading the opposite though, that the Android Cortana app will be supporting it for a while. What articles are those?

Darn MicroSoft....

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I have been reading the opposite though, that the Android Cortana app will be supporting it for a while. What articles are those?

Darn MicroSoft....

it is still working in the US but for how long? they already killed it in other coutries

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/16...ndroid-app-removal-countries-support-document

the latest update to cortana took away smarthome devices

https://www.techradar.com/news/micr...anges-to-cortana-and-home-users-will-lose-out

there are plenty of articles about this online with a simple search. gotta look at the dates of the articles because there are still plenty that says it will work but dated early 2019. Maybe consider alexa or google home for your headphones.

RalphieD

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I found this a while ago though
"Users still will be able to do things like control certain smart home devices and speakers -- including the Harman Kardon Invoke -- via Cortana but only using the Cortana apps for iOS and Android, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed when I asked. f you have an Invoke speaker, which is powered by Cortana, and you want to keep using it, you'll need Cortana for iOS or Android. Windows won't be an option for controlling it at all, the spokesperson confirmed"

From Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | February 28, 2020 -- 18:43 GMT (10:43 PST) | Topic: Artificial Intelligence which is good thing"

So many different articles going both ways. I am hoping they will kill it totally but leave those skills available somewhere.

Eventually, I may have to go in opposite direction :(

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I found this a while ago though
"Users still will be able to do things like control certain smart home devices and speakers -- including the Harman Kardon Invoke -- via Cortana but only using the Cortana apps for iOS and Android, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed when I asked. f you have an Invoke speaker, which is powered by Cortana, and you want to keep using it, you'll need Cortana for iOS or Android. Windows won't be an option for controlling it at all, the spokesperson confirmed"

From Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | February 28, 2020 -- 18:43 GMT (10:43 PST) | Topic: Artificial Intelligence which is good thing"

So many different articles going both ways. I am hoping they will kill it totally but leave those skills available somewhere.

Eventually, I may have to go in opposite direction :(

music should still work. just will not be able to use connected smart home devices as you wanted. you still will be able to do a lot of stuff with cortana it will be limited to productivity stuff.

https://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-cortana-windows-10-may-2020-update

RalphieD

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I realize they are going in a different direction, but it is still such a disappointment to remove skills that people actually used. To me, just leave it, but no more improvements.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I realize they are going in a different direction, but it is still such a disappointment to remove skills that people actually used. To me, just leave it, but no more improvements.

the thing is, was there enough users to justified continuing supporting the skills? Most use google, alexa, or siri for smart home devices. I tend to agree to just leave it but after a while, there could be security issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria