Could Windows 10 Save WP?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
It could take a couple of years until developers adopt Universal apps. Adding support for Android apps is a better solution for the app problem. Even cherry picking a few popular apps for each market would make a big difference for WP.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It could take a couple of years until developers adopt Universal apps. Adding support for Android apps is a better solution for the app problem. Even cherry picking a few popular apps for each market would make a big difference for WP.

And with android apps on Windows 10, who will bother writing Universal Windows apps?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry has added support for android and not seen a change. They have their Enterprise services, so reap revenue through that, but otherwise the consumer handset division is stagnant. Shame as, when it works, the android runtime can be rather good - though one must jump through hoops... And, as the sales show, people don't want to do that.

Windows 10 may change things up. They said that about windows 8. Whether it does out not will depend on the time and money msft throws at the platform. They have both.

But it isn't just about a viable platform. Android devices outnumber apple by a massive margin, but devs flock to apple. Why? Figure that out and sales will soar. Sure, selling bottom of the table devices, mass market, is an approach to making up the sales numbers but that isn't attracting devs - and some are leaving or restricting access to services. Even with the numbers as they are. Go figure.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
And with android apps on Windows 10, who will bother writing Universal Windows apps?

Almost nobody uses Windows phones and tablets, the appeal of Universal apps are the Desktop users. This doesn't change if Microsoft add support for Android apps to Windows 10 mobile. Besides, they can do it in a limited way.

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
no, windows 10 won't save it. Because WP isn't sinking, it's growing fine on it's own. It's just in America they are waiting for the next flagship phone to start climbing again.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
no, windows 10 won't save it. Because WP isn't sinking, it's growing fine on it's own. It's just in America they are waiting for the next flagship phone to start climbing again.

Though I would like to agree with you, as I love WP, the truth is that big companies are pulling their apps because of the lack of volume of sales, like Bank Of America, chaise and never mind the tons of apps that are still "missing".

I hope Windows 10 does something here as I said, I love WP but, I am starting (after being a user from PocketPC 1.0 and even version from there) re-think my choice.

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry has added support for android and not seen a change. They have their Enterprise services, so reap revenue through that, but otherwise the consumer handset division is stagnant. Shame as, when it works, the android runtime can be rather good - though one must jump through hoops... And, as the sales show, people don't want to do that.

Windows 10 may change things up. They said that about windows 8. Whether it does out not will depend on the time and money msft throws at the platform. They have both.

But it isn't just about a viable platform. Android devices outnumber apple by a massive margin, but devs flock to apple. Why? Figure that out and sales will soar. Sure, selling bottom of the table devices, mass market, is an approach to making up the sales numbers but that isn't attracting devs - and some are leaving or restricting access to services. Even with the numbers as they are. Go figure.

Blackberry hasn't seen any succeed cause they use Third party Amazon apps, just a little [Devs] care on making Amazon apps, because of, Amazon lost a great quantity of money, due to their Fire Phone which looked cool for me, and a somewhat design for Windows Phone could come handy, and who knows, maybe we should give time to time and see how thing keep going, don't lose faith.
We love Windows Phone, well I do.

Last edited:

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Though I would like to agree with you, as I love WP, the truth is that big companies are pulling their apps because of the lack of volume of sales, like Bank Of America, chaise and never mind the tons of apps that are still "missing".

I hope Windows 10 does something here as I said, I love WP but, I am starting (after being a user from PocketPC 1.0 and even version from there) re-think my choice.

Windows is the best selling PC OS' something that even the "Great Apple" [jerks] cant manage, now look at the harmoniously Windows 10 running on all Devices [From Microsoft] think on that as a change, for good, and what, maybe Microsoft doesn't want to be the best Smartphone manufacturer, but they will be the best selling Company of Rare Premium devices that only the ones that understand will appreciate! :)

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Contrary to what the linked article states, Universal apps won't solve anything unless Win10's version of the WinRT API is significantly different from Win8's version. The WinRT API far too limited to be used in true Desktop-class programs. My users would revolt if I converted all my Win32 programs to WinRT and they had to deal with its limitations. It would be a downgrade, not an upgrade. In addition, I don't want to hand over 30% of my sales to MSFT when my WIn32 reseller only takes ~6%. Lower the cut to 10%, enhance WinRT's capabilities, and make it Win7 compatible ... then I would switch.

Maybe MSFT will pull a rabbit out of its hat at BUILD ... but I doubt it.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
No I seriously don't think it can - if the right apps don't show up nobody will come to this platform when they can easily get them on either Apple or Android

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
No I seriously don't think it can - if the right apps don't show up nobody will come to this platform when they can easily get them on either Apple or Android

IIt's ok if no one comes, they rest of the people use tidy Os' (Android, iOS... ) then? Let's we enjoy this platform and support Microsoft!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny