Current Issues with Surface Pro 2

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This isn't an issue with the SP2, really, but has anyone else had issues with IE11 in desktop mode losing focus while typing? This happens a lot when using Google.

A little dialog pops up with "Site loaded using SPDY", then the browser loses focus.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I notice that my Surface Pro 2 is WAY slower than the first day I received it. Anyone recommend a Memory (RAM) cleaner, or any other free program that can help? I don't know why my Pro 2 is so slow now. :unhappysweat:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, for some reason, when I'm scanning in windows defender, quick or full, it is scanning, and doesn't go to the finish line (you know what I mean), and it says scanned completed, when it didn't. Sometimes it scans less than 20,000 items, which is annoying.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm also seeing the odd, weird text.

So I'm actually happy with the speaker volume, find it quite loud and clear... good combo. However, when trying to use FL Groove or any of my x86 programs (I.e. Cubase) from the desktop it will not override speakers to use Headphones. Am I missing something? I went to device manager and didn't see any options. I thought the override was standard as it works with all my other machines with speakers/headphone jack... could just be my machine. I'm using wired speakers, if someone with Bluetooth speaks who using a x86 audio/video program can give Feedback id appreciated it.

Otherwise, man I love this machine... very happy with the purchase. And just to add, the Type Cover 2 Black... very pleased. I really hope MS can get this in the hands of more people.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
(the app is being really buggy and won't let me quote)

Anyway, unstopplekem, I'm not sure if there's a better RAM cleaner, but I used Ozone RAM optimizer and it seemed to work fine.

I have no idea about Windows Defender, but since you just bought the Pro 2, you could try using answerdesk.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
(the app is being really buggy and won't let me quote)

Anyway, unstopplekem, I'm not sure if there's a better RAM cleaner, but I used Ozone RAM optimizer and it seemed to work fine.

I have no idea about Windows Defender, but since you just bought the Pro 2, you could try using answerdesk.

Is the ozone ram optimizer a windows store app?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I mean there is a App store app (for mac) that is called Memory Cleaned, and cleans the memory.

The Mac App Store is still just supplying full, x86, it just consolidates them into one easy-to-find location, and gives you the peace of mind that the Mac Store Apps won't contain anything shady with-in. Just like how the Windows Store can deliver desktop programs. Very few desktop apps are showcased in it, but they exist.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If these issues aren't resolved, I might return my surface pro 2. Can someone help please?
I don't have a SP2, but planning on getting one...
But to answer your questions:
RAM is hyper fast, and NEVER fragmented (well open space fragmentation... but that's something different which doesn't relate in performance decrease). So those "RAM defragmentation" software and "RAM optimizers" are 100% crap. Your problem isn't RAM. If you don't believe me, I can explain to you how RAM works, open space fragmentation which I mentioned above, and the importance of page file (expect a wall of text, however).

Open "Program and features" panel, and can you provide me a screen shot with a full list of your installed programs?
Also, get CCleaner (free - CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download), and go under Tools tab, and click on Startup tab, and now you'll see a list of everything that startups with your system, web browser, and what's on the task scheduler. I am interested in Task Scheduler and Windows. Can you provide me screen shot of those?

Oh and be sure your system is set as "Balance" Windows power plan.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a SP2, but planning on getting one...
But to answer your questions:
RAM is hyper fast, and NEVER fragmented (well open space fragmentation... but that's something different which doesn't relate in performance decrease). So those "RAM defragmentation" software and "RAM optimizers" are 100% crap. Your problem isn't RAM. If you don't believe me, I can explain to you how RAM works, open space fragmentation which I mentioned above, and the importance of page file (expect a wall of text, however).

Open "Program and features" panel, and can you provide me a screen shot with a full list of your installed programs?
Also, get CCleaner (free - CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download), and go under Tools tab, and click on Startup tab, and now you'll see a list of everything that startups with your system, web browser, and what's on the task scheduler. I am interested in Task Scheduler and Windows. Can you provide me screen shot of those?

Oh and be sure your system is set as "Balance" Windows power plan.

since I apparently got the placebo effect, or maybe I just did something on accident, I would be interested how RAM works

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
since I apparently got the placebo effect, or maybe I just did something on accident, I would be interested how RAM works

Ditto, I'm always curious as to what makes my tech devices innards tick (I'm still always mind blown when I think about pixels and how the PC is magically able to signally operate each and every single one of those millions of tiny little dots).

So please, do tell, if it won't be too much trouble.

And as an aside, wish I could've afforded the 256GB model, just for the 8GB of RAM. The Surface is a solid device, it trucks along stupendously, but I find that opening too many apps at once can really burn through that 4GB of RAM fast. Task Manager is always saying the CPU is at a mere 12%, yet the RAM is gulping 78%. It's easily addressed by simply closing a few Explorer tabs and some tombstoned apps, but still, would've been nice to have better "future proofed" myself by getting 8GB of RAM. Oh well, I can get by, and this thing still kicks my old laptop's *** by a wide margin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard