Dual sim problems Telus and Rogers (so close to working)

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Don't mean to be a thread necro but perhaps I can help.

Sim 1 is voice/sms intended for no data
Sim 2 is voice/sms/mms/2g/3g/4g intended for Data but can be both.

Any other arrangement is going to give you grief.

ntsux

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Here is the crux of the issue (and maybe it's a re-hash of the last few posts).

Lots of phones (even some major vendors) claim to have Dual SIM / Full Active (Check the Asus ZenPhone 2 for a great example). And while this is technically true, if you do NOT have one (of your two carriers) who offers GSM service at 2G, it comes with a crippling limitation:

And this issue is OS-agnostic (I know that this is a Windows forum).

Trawl (not Troll) the ebay and Asian online mobile phone ads, and you will consistently see the following in the detailed specs for "Dual SIM / Full Active / Dual Active" (yup, no standardized nomenclature yet):

SIM 1: Micro Sim, LTE/WCDMA/GSM
SIM 2: Micro Sim, GSM 2G only :cry:

So, if you live in Canada, your choice for SIM slot 2 is pretty much limited to Rogers and its offshoots. Bell, Telus and the minor HSPA+ carriers won't work in SIM slot 2, because they no longer offer 2G service. And even if they do, it's likely not GSM.

BTW - I really hope to be wrong/misinformed here. I welcome an educated correction!

Until then, my sad trombone gently weeps....

Last edited:

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
And in case anybody was wondering if it makes a difference to use two sims from the same carrier, it does not. I just tried two Wind sims in my 950XL and although they both get a signal, I can only send texts and make phone calls from sim 1. Sim 2 is useless with this configuration. (I also tried Wind in sim1, and Telus in sim2, and Telus in sim1 and Wind in sim2). No matter what I do with these three sim cards, I can only get sim1 to work.

I'm going to try a Fido or Rogers sim in the sim 2 slot (as suggested by MassDeduction "only a SIM on the Rogers network can use the second SIM in Canada"), and hopefully that does the trick.

If it does work, then my question obviously becomes, for how much longer will Rogers support 2G?

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
So I now have a Wind sim in the sim1 slot and a Fido sim in the sim2 slot. Works great! (Lumia 950XL)

Except for the following:

1. I can not control the highlight colour for the second sim. Windows 10 seems to pick a random colour that contrasts with my primary highlight colour.
  2. I can not set separate ring tones for the two sims. I can set separate notification tones, but not ring tones.
  3. I don't know how much longer Rogers will support 2G, but hopefully by that time a new dual sim phone will be available that will support higher speeds on the second sim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254