Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I was able to use this to revived my 920. But I'm still sending it back to be sure it's not a hardware issue.

Kaiser Bhulsuk

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for the tips. It helps a lot and I can even see that with the firmware in Navifirm, the phone can work even better (I had a lots of error for a very first time I been using it before it bricked)

HudsonMC

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So a technical question, assuming that I download the correct firmware, what is the difference bewtween this process and the process Nokia themselves would use to reflash the phone? If I have the choice to send it in or do it myself, other than the wait, what's the difference? I just want to make sure there aren't any critical differences between the ROM on the phone, the ROM nokia would use, and the ROM this method uses...thoughts?

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So a technical question, assuming that I download the correct firmware, what is the difference bewtween this process and the process Nokia themselves would use to reflash the phone? If I have the choice to send it in or do it myself, other than the wait, what's the difference? I just want to make sure there aren't any critical differences between the ROM on the phone, the ROM nokia would use, and the ROM this method uses...thoughts?
To me i don't see any differences, after flashing the phone is like when you bought it and turn it on the first time and once you set it up everything is the same. You won't loose or have anything more or less but than the stuff the phone OS came with. So to me it the same thing Nokia do , maybe the way of flashing could be different because they might have different tools to do it

HudsonMC

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
To me i don't see any differences, after flashing the phone is like when you bought it and turn it on the first time and once you set it up everything is the same. You won't loose or have anything more or less but than the stuff the phone OS came with. So to me it the same thing Nokia do , maybe the way of flashing could be different because they might have different tools to do it

Well, that's good news, but I meant less visible differences that may affect updates in the future or compatibility with future OS updates, etc.

itxjobe

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's good news, but I meant less visible differences that may affect updates in the future or compatibility with future OS updates, etc.

I would be willing to bet that it wont effect any future updates, its the same firmware version that came with the phones. Personally I find it a little lazy from Nokia to send out a phone with an O/S that cannot even wipe itself. Its the firmware itself as far as I am concerned, I know some people did not have the issue at all most of those seemed to be the black phone's I have considered loading the black firmware on my red 920 just to see if it loads and then wipes correctly, have not tried as of yet...maybe soon.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I would be willing to bet that it wont effect any future updates, its the same firmware version that came with the phones. Personally I find it a little lazy from Nokia to send out a phone with an O/S that cannot even wipe itself. Its the firmware itself as far as I am concerned, I know some people did not have the issue at all most of those seemed to be the black phone's I have considered loading the black firmware on my red 920 just to see if it loads and then wipes correctly, have not tried as of yet...maybe soon.

I used the fix and my phone is black , i also have been receiving the Nokia upgrades Like Network+, Feedback etc. So i don't think that those firmwares will affect the ability to receive major upgrades.
My phone is functioning better now , i reset it after fixing it and installing everything back to see if it brick again and it didn't. It restore itself like when it came the first day. I use the wireless charging stand and again no issues, no freezing , no brick, good battery life. Everything working as intended. Regarding using another firmware i read on xda that you can load Rogers firmware on an ATT phone and Viceversa but if you load Rogers and try to come back to ATT the LTE is Disable, i'm repeating what happened to a guy there

@itxjobe Did you check that firmware i mention before in one of my previous posts, This one PWBASSY RM-820 LIGHT SWAP ENG ATT (059R6K1) and is placed before the black when you check the ATT firmwares on Navifirm
What you think it could be? I was trying to figure it out but don't know. PW i think is password but the rest BASSY , LIGHT SWAP don't know

Visual360

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just want to say thank you for this. I un-brick two Lumia's already with this method. Thanks again!

edit: I forgot to mentioned that both of the Lumia's I revived doesn't have the issues anymore (brick after reset). I reset both of them after the "fix", and it rebooted without a hitch. So, looks like it's a software issue?

Last edited:

itxjobe

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
@itxjobe Did you check that firmware i mention before in one of my previous posts, This one PWBASSY RM-820 LIGHT SWAP ENG ATT (059R6K1) and is placed before the black when you check the ATT firmwares on Navifirm
What you think it could be? I was trying to figure it out but don't know. PW i think is password but the rest BASSY , LIGHT SWAP don't know

That is an interesting firmware item I have not looked into it as of late, I may go messing around with firmware files here in a couple of weeks when I have my spare AT&T phone nearby. I will keep you updated.

cefuller12

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
My lock occured during an attempt to power the phone down. I think I hit the home button while at the power down screen. Tried to restart and got the hanging Nokia logo. So I found your post. I Got through NaviFirm Directions. I Got through Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.45.4.5 Directions. On Phone Directions, I got through 3 and felt the vibrate, but didn't hold down the Volume Up button right after. At that point, an attempt to flash the phone was in progress, but failed, because I suspect I didn't hold the Volume up button. However, for whatever reason, my phone successfully recovered from the power down sequence originally and sent me to the home screen. At this point pressing the home button was causing the power off screen to display. I then restarted the phone, and I'm back up and running normally.

stonedauwg

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Huge props to the OP, got my bricked black 920 to re-flash fine using the steps. Only hiccup I had was I couldn't install the Nokia Tools b/c it wouldn't get past the VC++ Redist 2005 stuff until I uninstalled all previous versions of VC++ Redist 2005 I had already on Win7, then installed the one from the link the Nokia app showed on screen. Once I did that it installed the tools and the process worked perfectly.

Also of note, my other black Lumia 920 replacement sent to me from Nokia US Support in Tampa was able to do the factory reset perfectly fine the first time. Weird. Only diff in that case was I had the SIM card in vs the one that bricked had no SIM card. Agree with the OP that it's lame of Nokia to send these out and they can't even been factory reset, especially since that's what ATT store personnel will probably be having to do themselves in some cases, right? Lame-o

Kulti

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi I'm desperate as I bricked my 920 like 2 hours ago. I have been following every single step in the guide but the programming tab is greyed out. I just don't know what to do. I'm on a Win 7 x86.

justsimpleinfo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Great Post,
Good Luck Kulti, keep trying or someone here should respond to you.

I just purchased a Developers edition from someone, and haven't activated it yet. I hope it doesn't brick, but if it does, Nokia, needs to send you and everybody else that did this tested it, and it works, when done correctly, a royalty check.

Innovation comes from creation and thinking outside the box and being forced not to accept NO for an answer....

Microsoft are you listening.....Nokia, I hope you are listening...

Thanks again for this fix, in case I need it

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a ton! Worked great for me on Windows 8. The process isn't as smooth as on Windows 7 but it worked out. If anyone else is having trouble doing this on Windows 8, PM me, I'll do what I can to help.

Rosy news aside, I was really considering exchanging this 920 for a new one because as of now bricking seems to happen everytime you reset through the software.

Visual360

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, did this on my Windows 8 machine without a hitch.

Thanks a ton! Worked great for me on Windows 8. The process isn't as smooth as on Windows 7 but it worked out. If anyone else is having trouble doing this on Windows 8, PM me, I'll do what I can to help.

Rosy news aside, I was really considering exchanging this 920 for a new one because as of now bricking seems to happen everytime you reset through the software.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to publicly say, "THANK YOU", for this tutorial. Had to reset my phone since I am selling it today, and of course I got the cog wheels of death.

Sad to see the phone go, it was really great, but a crucial issue BOTH units I tried had were the freezes/lockups/reboots. Being that I need to be contactable, I couldn't realy on this phone. It locked up three times in the last two days, and I finally decided I had enough. Once I read Nokia has fixed the issue I WILL BE BACK. For now, back to my iPhone 4s :(

tarra3

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to do this to my friends Red AT&T 920 but it's in a weird state. When I try to get Care Suite to recognize the phone I get a message saying "Recovery Failed. Message send failed" and the screen goes to an image of a lightning bolt with a gear. Anyone else see this or have a fix for this? Or are we looking at a hardware issue now?

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I factory reset bricked my phone as well. I followed these steps and it thankfully resolved the issue. I was provided these steps from a CSR and it also successfully reset the phone as well without bricking it:
Step 1:

1. Make sure the charger is disconnected.
2. Switch the power Off.
3. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

(To exit press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 10 seconds).

Step 2:

Then input Keys in the following order:

1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Since the last reset via hardware buttons, I've successfully factory reset the phone through the "About" screen twice now.

THANKS A LOT!!! That totally did the trick for me after I bricked my 920 (factory unlocked from clove(UK))!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital