GDR 1 Not Enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
First of all, let me be clear I've been a WP user for the last four yrs. And as everybody that has used WP I have gone through all the pain and humiliation towards us. Although, I owned a Galaxy I never got rid off of my HTC Radar I love that phone [I wish HTC bring something alike to WP 8.1.] I was so happy when WP 8 was announced that I did not wait to finish my contract and I got [still have] the Lumia 925 I love this phone one of the best in the market. I wont give you a history about WP 8 cause I am pretty sure you all know it. But then our wishes finally came true, MS announced 8.1 and when they let regular users like me to downloaded the new OS I couldn't be happier: Cortana, Background, new CEO* Notification Center, Word Flow, more emoticons and so on.... Then GDR 1 came alone and I am very happy with it, I love Life Folders, Apps Corner, Device Hub, new and updated apps everyday so every thing we have been asking for is coming.

But GDR 1 is not enough. Why? Because as everybody in the tech world pointed out MS did a great job to catch up and I totally agree with that statement. MS has made many WPers very happy and that is good, but there is nothing that take us apart from the competition to attract people from other OS' [Apple, Android and Blackberry] to our platform. Yes is a great update [especially if you've been using WP for awhile] but if you like me play with Android latest update you will see we still lack behind, for example our notification center is great but too limited iOS and Android give the user more power; you shouldn't have to click twice or thrice get something done. My older son has the HCT One M7 and there is nothing in WP I can use to attract him to WP, he likes some of the features of the OS but overall he is not impressed yet and there is one app that is not helping the cause [Clash of Clans] this has been a major hurdle for him to even consider WP.

Finally, MS has to bring something that people want, even if they don't know they want it/them Cortana and live tiles are great but not enough, we need that WOW! :eek:) moment* just like the first iPhone or Galaxy 4/4s MS need to let people speechless when they see, touch and use WP.

I want to give my thanks in advance for ready my post please be free to respond, I would like to have your input I prefer to see constructive comments but I just want you see what you think ..... What can we do to help WP get more noticed?

To answer your question. Microsoft should just hire the Nokia's advertising company. Advertising is how products get noticed in the first place. Thread closed.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
However there is a problem. The style of the android apps is not 'metro' wp loyalists have already complained. Check out uservoice. Thousands of Loyal users voted for android apps not to come to WP. The community may have killed itself.
Point taken, but I believe if that ever happened that MS would find a way to convert them into metro apps. As many other I would be worry if they are not converted, but I don't think that's the case.

qbnkelt

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Point taken, but I believe if that ever happened that MS would find a way to convert them into metro apps. As many other I would be worry if they are not converted, but I don't think that's the case.

Converting android apps is easier said than done. There have been android apps ported to Blackberry that have been a disaster.

Using Android on another platform kills native app development. I've just come from BlackBerry in part BECAUSE of the reliance on Android apps.

Please don't tell me that WP will go that route. I just got a fantastic Lumia 1520 and I want to enjoy it for the coming year. And then get its successor. AS LONG AS there are no Android apps. I'll keep those on my Android phone.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Android apps on WP.... hmmm.

That's a tough balance act for MS.

Allowing droid apps would probably break down some walls and new customers might be gained. On the other hand why would they buy a WP when they can have a native Android phone? The WP implementation of droid apps must be stellar for anyone to go that route.

What is the incentive for developers to develop native WP apps if droid apps can be used, especially if the implementation is great?

On top of that add the GUI style schizophrenia. Hm... ??? what way to go MS......

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Android apps on Windows Phone would kill any incentive for developers to bother with native apps.

It would also kill any reason for consumers to use Windows Phone. Why would I bother using a Windows Phone with apps that aren't optimised for the platform if I could just use an Android?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
However there is a problem. The style of the android apps is not 'metro' wp loyalists have already complained. Check out uservoice. Thousands of Loyal users voted for android apps not to come to WP. The community may have killed itself.

Absolutely, believe me... no one wants the "Android" style on WP less than I do.... but the reality is closer to the fact that regardless if you can run an Android App on a WP device or not, the WP OS is not going to become another Android.

You put the Android app in it's little VM box... you let it read/write through a secure channel to the phone sensors (i.e. it's not going to harm WP if such an app can read the GPS). And nope, that app will not be able to do native WP things like Live Tiles.... you get passed that point and what kind of device do you have? Something that the other two platforms aren't even close to.

You reach back to Windows 95, that OS everyone was afraid would become just another Mac OS iteration (ya, not really). Or even worst, when Apple put MS Office on a Mac.... Oh my goodness, the purist were jumping out of windows (pun intended :amaze:) -One can only imagine in those days that no Apple Mac loyalist would ever get pissed that MS waited so long to port Office to this new thing called an.... iPad? No.... oh hell no "...that would Never happen..." :evil: I'm wondering if those two sets of generations are related to the purist... oh sorry, the loyalist of today?

It's a reoccurring cycle.... I snark it as the "iPhone purist gene" defect.... But maybe that's just my inner Android Rebel talking :grin:. *Sorry

~ScottGeek.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Android apps on Windows Phone would kill any incentive for developers to bother with native apps.

It would also kill any reason for consumers to use Windows Phone. Why would I bother using a Windows Phone with apps that aren't optimised for the platform if I could just use an Android?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

That's..... kind of what I think too.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If you think about It, we could catch up if we let the android apps on wp.

Yes I was actually for this idea, but only if the devs were ready to put in the wok so that their apps could meet the standard that MS requires of our native apps

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
OS X is only installed on extremely expensive Apple hardware, and Apple is making good money on it.
One system? Yeah, sure, WP and Windows will have shared app pool in the market, but do we realy need "apps" on our desktops and laptops?

Yes, actually, we do, because watching Netflix through a browser is not ideal. Using twitter outside of an app now feels unnatural. And doing anything other than business or productivity work just feels more natural in an app.

People spend the majority of their time on their phone. It's what they're comfortable with. Expecting them not to want apps everywhere is being delusional.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Android apps on WP.... hmmm.

That's a tough balance act for MS.

Allowing droid apps would probably break down some walls and new customers might be gained. On the other hand why would they buy a WP when they can have a native Android phone? The WP implementation of droid apps must be stellar for anyone to go that route.

What is the incentive for developers to develop native WP apps if droid apps can be used, especially if the implementation is great?

On top of that add the GUI style schizophrenia. Hm... ??? what way to go MS......

I develop in both worlds... granted not all developers are willing or will be willing to do a native apps, but these are the same developers who will ignore their customers when they start to complain that the Android version of their app does not have a live tile. Incentives to developers is not the point here... it's getting the WP in the hands of consumers. The WP version does not have to be stellar compared to the Android version to be a success... not really... the Native WP version will take advantage of what makes WP a different as a platform... i.e. Live Tiles, integration within the Microsoft eco-system, hardware features that are unique to the WP device, the notification abilities of WP, etc.... It is these aspects that are important to key into as a developer.

Will there be some "great" Android apps that will almost certainly never go native... absolutely... up until WP phones start selling closer in numbers to the other platforms. When the numbers are big enough... native will happen.

The market will balance this equation.... Not Microsoft. For Microsoft this is very similar to other questions in the past of allowing other vendors software to exist on their OS... especially when Microsoft has a competing product. The road that Microsoft has mostly always taken is to be Open. Open to OEMs Open to software developers... Open to other technologies... this is in opposition to Apple's Closed model. So, I'll ask again... Who owns the PC market.... for the last 30 years?

Keeping the closed model with WP narrows your landscape and while that gives you greater focus to make your platform excellent it does not bring customers in if you're in the distant 3rd place. Timer after time in the open model developers bring their "stuff" from other platforms to run on a Microsoft OS.... if there are enough users of that Microsoft OS, that "stuff" always goes native. Developers that don't do this, don't last.... ever heard of Lotus, Dbase III? Yeah, no way were they ever going to do "Windows".... my my the arguments I used to have with those people.... then when they finally did do their way of doing "Windows"... yeah, when's the last time you used a Lotus product?

Ok, I think I've beaten the point to death now.... "You take the blue pill- the story ends here.... you wake up....and believe whatever you want to believe....You take the red pill- you stay in Wonderland....and see how deep the rabbit hole goes...."

:cool:

~ScottGeek.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Keeping the closed model with WP narrows your landscape and while that gives you greater focus to make your platform excellent it does not bring customers in if you're in the distant 3rd place. Timer after time in the open model developers bring their "stuff" from other platforms to run on a Microsoft OS.... if there are enough users of that Microsoft OS, that "stuff" always goes native. Developers that don't do this, don't last.... ever heard of Lotus, Dbase III? Yeah, no way were they ever going to do "Windows".... my my the arguments I used to have with those people.... then when they finally did do their way of doing "Windows"... yeah, when's the last time you used a Lotus product?
~ScottGeek.
You have a great point and you back in up with your developer and consumer experience. This has been the best answer I've read so far against MS bring Android apps to WP. It is true that for some reason MS always its left behind at the beginning of the game but they always come alone and take everyone in the ride. MS is capable of great things when its pushed by others. Am I little nervous about the all Android apps talking? Yes, I am but your short history lesson gives me relieve at least for now. Thanks.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually you are right. Adding android apps to wp means people will finally consider windows phone. We will have apps, we will have the games they love, people will consider buying. Then when the market share grows, bam! developers start making native apps to meet customer demand. Apps like snapchat which wouldn't work due to needing play services will be made for wp. It's actually a good idea.
Posts like these make me wish there was a dislike button.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I develop in both worlds... granted not all developers are willing or will be willing to do a native apps, but these are the same developers who will ignore their customers when they start to complain that the Android version of their app does not have a live tile. Incentives to developers is not the point here... it's getting the WP in the hands of consumers. The WP version does not have to be stellar compared to the Android version to be a success... not really... the Native WP version will take advantage of what makes WP a different as a platform... i.e. Live Tiles, integration within the Microsoft eco-system, hardware features that are unique to the WP device, the notification abilities of WP, etc.... It is these aspects that are important to key into as a developer.

Will there be some "great" Android apps that will almost certainly never go native... absolutely... up until WP phones start selling closer in numbers to the other platforms. When the numbers are big enough... native will happen.

The market will balance this equation.... Not Microsoft. For Microsoft this is very similar to other questions in the past of allowing other vendors software to exist on their OS... especially when Microsoft has a competing product. The road that Microsoft has mostly always taken is to be Open. Open to OEMs Open to software developers... Open to other technologies... this is in opposition to Apple's Closed model. So, I'll ask again... Who owns the PC market.... for the last 30 years?

Ok, I think I've beaten the point to death now.... "You take the blue pill- the story ends here.... you wake up....and believe whatever you want to believe....You take the red pill- you stay in Wonderland....and see how deep the rabbit hole goes...."

:cool:

~ScottGeek.

Makes sense.
I like the way WP is moving and hope it sticks around for a while. The latest market share numbers are however down.

Edit:
If this will happen (Android apps on WP) then the implementation have to be stellar (so yeah I changed point of view). If it sucks I think MS just shot themselves in the foot.
A badly working feature is a product killer.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I like this guy = spaulagain, he is a fighter.

Second, at this point all operating systems are great in so many ways. I kinda see them as equal now. what you should start looking for is a "platform", now who has the platform?

sadly people buy items based on what other people have and what the see around them, very little numbers of people really search and read, and even know what there devices are capable of, so drop down the features argument.

And just to add some features to previous lists:
1) project my screen is just insane.
2) Shooting in RAW is also amazing.

Yousaf Saeed Shaikh

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I am agree most points mentioned in OP, though in addition to add new things, MS needs to polish built-in apps which definitely adds the rating I,e IE still lacks Full pageview / Hyperlink opens in same window rather in background tab/ Music app still not stable and lacks Folder Play p potion / Onenote is powerful app but to add new category or note books we need PC / OneDrive lacks Favorite category to download the doc automatically whenever it edited like wise in Dropbox etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manualstillo