Got the unlocked 920... no 4G

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The op does have a point. There is a lit if confusion over locked, unlocked, sim free etc. More so than any other phone I've purchased.

I do understand the requirement for a totally unlocked handset. I too travel the world an awful lot, China, USA, Europe etc and I have different sims for different areas.. I just have one Skype local number for each country and divert that number to my local sim.. it saves a fortune on call and data costs. To make the most of this you need a fully unlocked, reliable handset.

Op.. I think someone said earlier that from Jan the EE exclusivity ends. It may be easier, I do hope it is, for you to get the correct firmware to your phone to enable the 4G...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
uktivo - im glad someone has a great head on their shoulders and understands things correctly and properly. I take my hat off to you for that :)

even if I did not travel around the world - I still have a valid point. If a customer buys an unlocked handset to use within their country (i.e the UK and bought it from a UK outlet) then they should expect to get the full functionality regardless (obviously if the network they are using supports it)

sure, could wait until end of Jan-ish, problem is what if the issue is not resolved? how would I resolve the issue? I know you say to get the correct firmware for the phone but where would I get it from?
Again - no info from Nokia or Clove for this. Sure I am more technically advanced than "average Joe" but im looking at it from an average Joe point of view.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
uktivo - im glad someone has a great head on their shoulders and understands things correctly and properly. I take my hat off to you for that :)

even if I did not travel around the world - I still have a valid point. If a customer buys an unlocked handset to use within their country (i.e the UK and bought it from a UK outlet) then they should expect to get the full functionality regardless (obviously if the network they are using supports it)

sure, could wait until end of Jan-ish, problem is what if the issue is not resolved? how would I resolve the issue? I know you say to get the correct firmware for the phone but where would I get it from?
Again - no info from Nokia or Clove for this. Sure I am more technically advanced than "average Joe" but im looking at it from an average Joe point of view.

Yep you do seem to have an issue. As you have an EE sim only contract I take it they will not provide the firmware ota update? Not even sure if it's possible to do that.

In your shoes I'd probably look at 3 options.
1 give up the phone and send it back to clove for a refund under the sale of goods act. (goods must be fit for purpose and perform as advertised)
2. Do the Nokia route that you were doing with a slim chance they will understand and provide a replacement unit that fits your requirements.
3. Keep the phone and flash it.. take the risk.

Speak to trading standards. See what they suggest. I know it's a pain but if you want to pursue it I'm afraid this is what you have to do..

One last comment. I come across this type of decision a lot in business. Part of being a good business man is knowing when it's worthwhile pursuing an issue or just cutting your loses. That has been one of the hardest lessons in business I've had to learn. I'm not saying you should give up.. just ask if your time could be better utilised elsewhere. Only you can answer that.. good luck..

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
thanks. I am a business man too :) I know what you mean believe me on that but too many companies messing around and playing around... not taking it anymore.
all about rights here and being honest and truthful. a customer pays for something, expects for it to do what it "says on the tin". its not doing that.

im a software developer and well known in the industry developing on the MS stack so for me, its pretty important :)

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If the SIM/plan is verified 4G ready you could try enter/dial ##3282# and then tap the ... settings and change to 4G only in drop list and then back to automatic !important!..it worked for me with the Norwegian variant in Sweden pre-portico though ;)

/Per

Was just trying to use this code, wonder why it doesn't work on Portico

Sparkyscrum

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
But your not listening to others opinion if it's not yours. Ready means it's ready to work not working. There's a difference you fail to notice.

Not to mention you aren't answering questions asked of you just insulting other posters. Dilutes your point to a rant.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
But your not listening to others opinion if it's not yours. Ready means it's ready to work not working. There's a difference you fail to notice.

Not to mention you aren't answering questions asked of you just insulting other posters. Dilutes your point to a rant.

I can see both sides here. "ready" does imply if you insert a sim with a 4g contract attached to it, it should work. Clearly the handset contains all the right electronics but they are not initiated when the sim is inserted. So, on that basis, a better word might have been poised.. lol.., perhaps your requests for help should be directed to EE.. but I fear they will just bounce you back saying you should have got a locked handset.

Still think my comments from earlier still stand. Let's hope Nokia see sense and politely ask EE to initiate your handset with the 4g service.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Bought a red 920 unlocked in the UK and I'm using it in Portugal with a 4G SIM card but I can only use it in 3G. This sucks. Hope Nokia releases a firmware update soon to allow us to use our phones on 4G. Maybe when Portico widely arrives to Europe next month...

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't blame you for being annoyed, I would be too in this situation. Have you decided what to do yet? Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I saw an article a while ago about this. It suggests this can be fixed by an OTA update - although not sure if this is a realistic option or not.

UPDATED: Nokia Lumia 920 HSPA+ version upgradable to 4G

[if] a 3G user wanted to upgrade to the 4G service, the device could receive an OTA update to work on 4G

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't blame you for being annoyed, I would be too in this situation. Have you decided what to do yet? Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I saw an article a while ago about this. It suggests this can be fixed by an OTA update - although not sure if this is a realistic option or not.

UPDATED: Nokia Lumia 920 HSPA+ version upgradable to 4G

Good news. One more update to wait for... Kind of annoying, but at least there is hope.

leviathan18

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
First let define 4G

LTE is 4G

HSPA + is used also in 4G

For the ones expecting HSPA+ to show as 4G (it might depending on your carrier/firmware) use speed test to check the speeds my Lumia 920 right now shows 3G I have LTE turned off (rodgers unlocked from negri, updated to portico) my Lumia 920 is faster than my Galaxy SIII by a far with the same SIM card.

Now it might be EE blocking people out of their LTE network, to sell the locked devices, this is not something new and is not Nokia fault, is EE doing shaddy business to grab more people to pay more for a phone....

There are two versions I know of the Lumia 920 and they posses different LTE radio bands, also nothing new it is something we have seen from the old GSM days you were lucky if your phone triband or quadband now they have all the bands up to 3G and LTE usually has only two, the lumia has four...

lagadu

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
A little late but the version Expansys was selling, the RM-821_eu_france_267 finally got Portico and now it has 4G available.

Cheers2

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I also have an unlocked Lumia 920. If u want to connect to 4G and u can't see the option here's how: dial ##3282 click on call, hit the 3 dots "...", settings, Network type, 4G only and u can enable Toggle ENS

deerfaced

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've done the same, but bought from digital-phone.co.uk ...don't have a 4g contract yet, but was hoping to upgrade to one. Not good news.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire