How can I make my Glance screen less dull?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Glance screen too dull

I've had a 820 for quite awhile, but the ?199 offer with free FitBit got my partner's attention (as a b'day gift), so I now have a 830.
It's a beautiful looking phone, even though it's a lot bigger than it's predecessor!

My only real issue I have (so far) is that I have glance switched on, mainly for the time at night, however I'm finding that I'm really forced to look at the screen as it's so dull! I have auto-brightness enabled, but I had this on my 820, and it was always crystal-clear.
Anyone know if I can tweak something to improve glance's brightness?

Rgds.

G.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Glance screen too dull

Maybe turning on night mode and setting the time to 24h plus setting the color to red, might help?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

It's because of the IPS LCD display, AMOLED glance screen is usually brighter (not crispier though) than IPS LCD.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

The 830 screen is dim to save battery life. The IPS LCD display and its backlight are fully switched on (all pixels are active, even the black ones), which would severely drain the battery if left at a high brightness.

The AMOLED screen on the 820 can switch individual pixels on and off, and each pixel is individually lit (no full backlight needed). This means that each black pixel is actually switched off and not consuming power. Therefore the brightness can be much higher, as only the active lit pixels are consuming power.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

The 830 screen is dim to save battery life. The IPS LCD display and its backlight are fully switched on (all pixels are active, even the black ones), which would severely drain the battery if left at a high brightness.

I understand that, but I only have glance on in peek mode, so I would have thought that the battery usage wouldn't be that bad. Either way, it's on the charger when next to bed, so the battery use isn't an issue. Just wish there was a separate brightness setting for glance.

I can live with it, just find it annoying!

G.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I have noticed it can look really sharp, and then goes duller. I wish it would just stay sharp. I think its auto adjusting to the environment?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed it's pretty dim too. I compared my 920 and new 830 displays both with the same display settings. Not using auto brightness. Set to low when I'm home in the evening and medium during the day. The Glance info is brighter on my 920 than the 830. Glance is also a little slower to respond on the 830 than my 920 but that's another story.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed it's pretty dim too. I compared my 920 and new 830 displays both with the same display settings. Not using auto brightness. Set to low when I'm home in the evening and medium during the day. The Glance info is brighter on my 920 than the 830. Glance is also a little slower to respond on the 830 than my 920 but that's another story.

Yes, I'll admit that glance doesn't always show and is sometimes slow to react, though my 820 was perfect!
Hopefully MS fixes this at some stage...

G.

tabraoui

May 17, 2012
Visit site

I have my time set to 24h. I'm certain the glance on my 950 used to show 24h... But I noticed a few days ago, it's not anymore. I tried to set and reset the time to 24h... But it's not changing in glance anymore 😩.
Anyone can help me on that?
I may have happened right after I updated to build .71, but I'm not sure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babra4151