I am GLAD that Windows Phone has one volume setting

Akhona Ngquba

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Something to think about. WP has it basis in simplicity. Microsoft surly knows some might want a feature but wont add it. Why do I think this is. Well it has its basis in security and patents. Plain and simple if Microsoft can give us the feature and keep our device safe and our data secure we get it. There might be security reasons preventing the addition of some features. WP uses sandboxing to keep applications from pulling secure data from one app to the other. Could this be why are developers having a hard time figuring a way to give us this simple option without limiting the security of the device? Could it be that this option when used in the traditional fashion is patented by another entity. All of this plays into what will be made available to us. I am not making excuses for Microsoft am just pointing out that I would rather deal with a device where I have to take a second to adjust the volume once in a while than to have a less secure device or to have to pay more for my device because of a patent lawsuit

Simplicity is defined by doing less and getting more in my books. Having to adjust my volume everytime falls out the scope of simplicity. I also do not think the people that work at Microsoft use Windows Phone because they would have noticed within a week that this is an irritation. No one can honestly tell me that he/she is okay with having to adjust the volume in their device more than 5 times in one day depending on what you are doing. I think Windows phone should have taken a Nokia (example once again) and used all the features that people never had a problem with (i.e being able to choose different profiles from the start screen, or choosing your own ringer volume and a different media volume). I doubt Nokia would have sued Microsoft for this, instead Nokia would have loved this because people who bought a Nokia would still be getting the good nokia features and losing the bad ones. That is how I would do it if I worked for Microsoft....

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I find this really convenient as a student. I can easily mute my phone whenever I go into a lecture or an exam without having to go to settings and mute everything just to be on safe side, or turn off the phone.

Although looking over on the PC side with Xbox Music, it has its own volume slider. Although this is partly useless, as adjusting the volume from media keys will default on the system volume. This is where I don't see the point, you listen to music, say at volume 30, and the system volume set at 70. The notification sounds will obviously be louder, that is if you want to hear them really loud than the music, but I doubt no one does that so what if the music volume were to be at 70 and the system at 30? The music volume will obviously be dominated by the system volume, so even if the music slider is at 100, whilst the system volume is 40, the music volume will still fall at 40 together with the notification sounds.

So if Windows Phone had different volume sliders for each, and you put the music volume to mute but left the system slider unmute and you play a song and couldn't hear anything, wouldn't that be confusing? Because you'd generally see that the phone is obviously not on mute but the music player is? So what's the point? If you want it on mute, then might as well mute the whole phone.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
My problem is that when I'm listening to music or Audible with headphones, I need to turn down the volume. Then later, my phone rings or I receive a text and I can't hear it because the volume is at 5/30 and I'm more than 10 ft away.

The answer in my opinion is to provide separate volume controls for different things, but to satisfy those who claim it's too difficult to understand (not sure how) make it so each one by default is locked to the master -- which is pretty much as it is now.

Media, Notification, Ringer and Master would be great.

This is the solution. I hope that they finally they solve this issue in WP 8.1, blue, whatever!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
i'm guessing from the myriad of responses, it needs a tickbox for "let me choose seperate volumes".

patents, security, too-difficult-to-implement, and "but we hate how android/ios does it !" are excuses for lacking functionality.

ally42

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I also have to disagree with the OP. One single sound control is a pain. Like some others here, my ringtone volume is set on 30. I forget about it, put my headphone on to listen to some music and BAM, music is killing my eardrums. Not nice. And then, of course, I miss calls because I lowered the volume down to 5/6. Different sets of volume controls are not difficult or confusing, they are practical and needed asap. This has nothing to do with turning WP into an iPhone or an Android clone. It's just good sense.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, Windows Mobile 6.1 and Windows Phone 6.5 had separate volume controls for the phone and everything else, I'll post a picture so you guys can see what I mean when I find one, so there's no reason why MS can't implement something similar in Windows Phone but I'm not all that bothered personally.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I also have to disagree with the OP. One single sound control is a pain. Like some others here, my ringtone volume is set on 30. I forget about it, put my headphone on to listen to some music and BAM, music is killing my eardrums. Not nice. And then, of course, I miss calls because I lowered the volume down to 5/6. Different sets of volume controls are not difficult or confusing, they are practical and needed asap. This has nothing to do with turning WP into an iPhone or an Android clone. It's just good sense.

When the volume is set to 30, its not load enough. Its not like a black berry with the bass /volume boost.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
When the volume is set to 30, its not load enough. Its not like a black berry with the bass /volume boost.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

I really think that depends on the phone lol. I'm usually the guy that keeps his volume all the way up, but that has certainly changed with the 8x! Thing has the ability to blow your brains out!

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this will be something I guess I will miss too when I switch to WP8. I love the multiple volume settings. They fit various situations throughout the day. I never really thought about it not being on another OS but it is definitely something you will miss if you have to do without. Now I'm concerned on what other little features I will be without moving from JB to WP8(8.1)?

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Seeing this thread bumped reminded me that it seems like WP8 is already keeping track of different volume settings (at least for bluetooth devices). When I'm connected to my car, it keeps the volume high (25 so I can actually hear music over A2DP), but then when I turn the car off, volume returns to normal.
I was beginning to think I had a special, magic phone, but then you ruined my dream... You took my one chance of happiness and crushed it. Crushed it into little tiny, bite-size pieces.

Anyway, the people still on about it: it's true. When my Bluetooth headset is connected, the phone volume remembers that I set it to 30 before and, when I disconnect the headset, the phone volume goes back to what it was before, which I had set to 16.

Donald Burr

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hate this "feature". If I have the volume turned down while listening to headphones or Bluetooth, the ringer is also affected. That means that if I forget to turn the volume of the ringer back up when I have finished listening to the headphones the ringer volume will be reduced and I can miss calls if I do not hear it. Also, it would be nice that if I plug in my headphones that they return to the previous volume level so that I don't get my ears blasted at the ringer volume level. If you want to view the Ringer as the phones speaker so that the level affects the ringer or media that would be ok so that mute really is mute for all sounds.

I only see positives having a separate volume profile for Ringer (speaker), Headphones, and Bluetooth. Further why does the EQ only work with headphones?

My Moto had a great feature that when turning down the ringer volume it went to vibrate-only just before going completely silent; fast and great way to move from audible ring tone to vibrate only rather than having to dive through menus to make this happen.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I keep my speaker around 8/30. This is unusably quiet for phone calls.

The ability to manage profile for sounds would be nice. They should take notes from Blackberry, here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paul89895