I HATE my Surface 3

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I returned my Surface 3 a while ago because I didn't like it. Static from speakers, keyboard would sometimes not respond when connected, etc

The speakers were obviously defective because mine are great at full volume. The keyboard problem was fixed for me with a firmware update. I know it's too late for you, but neither of those should be a problem for current/new surface users.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, but I've already rolled back to Windows 7.

I forgot how fast a clean install of Windows 7 is, it's nice.

That's true of all OS installs. You should try installing Windows XP on your system, it'll perform even faster than Windows 7. Or try Windows 95 or 98 - again, even faster. A clean install of Windows 10 performs, on my hardware, the same as Windows 7 did. I didn't see a speed increase, nor did I see a speed decrease. However, I now have new features I enjoy, and get to take advantage of under-the-hood improvements (new memory protection features, universal app infrastructure, improved UAC protection features, DirectX 12, etc.).

Sure it's not perfect out of the gate - you're comparing it to an OS that's been out since July 2009. But the new streaming updates should make the evolution of Windows 10 more smooth - next month is already a planned update called Threshold 2.

I'm not trying to argue that your decision to return to Windows 7 was a bad one. I'm suggesting you may want to give Windows 10 a try later, perhaps after TH2 is released next month. You get the Windows 10 upgrade for free for 1 year. :)

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am running 10 on everything I own. Its awesome. besides edge which is a mess right now, until they get the ad blocker up and running. I am not messing with the host files when IE works great for me, and does not kill my battery at all. I am on my acer timeline right now, 44 percent of battery life left, over 3.5 hrs of battery life using ie. with edge running most I would get from a 100 percent charge was 2 hrs or so. its not quite ready for primetime yet.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm the OP and so far the latest TP does seem better. However, I did have to reset the store and WU once again. That crashes so much on me I wonder how average people are managing to get along other than they may not realize the problems are happening. Having to stop/start services, clear cache and run power shell scripts just isn't acceptable for a consumer tablet.

It's a love/hate relationship. I just never know what mood my Surface 3 with Windows 10 will be in. She's a bit bi-polar.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm the OP and so far the latest TP does seem better. However, I did have to reset the store and WU once again. That crashes so much on me I wonder how average people are managing to get along other than they may not realize the problems are happening. Having to stop/start services, clear cache and run power shell scripts just isn't acceptable for a consumer tablet.

It's a love/hate relationship. I just never know what mood my Surface 3 with Windows 10 will be in. She's a bit bi-polar.

I honestly don't know what to say Michail - I have a friend who's wife destroys electronics through some odd electromagnetic field she gives off. Watches burn out, computers crash (she works for a bank, and has had 5 computers in the last 2 years - her IT hates her), dashboard electronics go out in cars, etc. Perhaps you're giving off a field the Surface doesn't like. :wink:

I've got W10 on my Surface Pro 3, Surface 3, Desktop PC, and HTPC. Aside from a few issues early on, and continued battery drain issues on the Surface 3, it's been running great. The Surface 3 battery issue should be solved with a firmware update for the WiFi controller (which drains too much during sleep). I've never had to start/stop services, clear cache, reset the store, reset Windows Update, or run scripts. I wish I could help further, but telling you to hard-reset the tablet seems pointless as you've done that many times before. You've even swapped it out at the store.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's probably not that. I have an X1 Carbon on Windows 10 and a desktop that has been flawless so far and gets hammered considerably harder.

The Surface has been behaving recently. The battery has improved considerably. According to the battery report it get 40 hours of standby for 70% battery. Last incident was the digitizer locking up when I resized a live tile.

The store issue are widely reported so I know that's not me. So it's not fair to lump that to the Surface. But those could be server side related issues. Who knows, certain accounts or regions could be hit harder than others? But you're damn lucky if you never hard windows update or the store get stuck on you.

There have been several firmware and driver updates post RTM. But one has to wonder why Microsoft's flagship tablet was so far behind. It's the one device you would expect should have the fewest problems.

Dashboard electronics out in cars? Does she drive an Audi?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ford. She also suffers terrible migraines. I agree that the Surface tablets should be flawless, as it's MS's hardware.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The store issue are widely reported so I know that's not me. So it's not fair to lump that to the Surface. But those could be server side related issues. Who knows, certain accounts or regions could be hit harder than others? But you're damn lucky if you never hard windows update or the store get stuck on you.

Microsoft has been having store issues since 8.0. Why they still can't seem to figure out something that has never, ever, failed me on other platforms is beyond me.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ford. She also suffers terrible migraines. I agree that the Surface tablets should be flawless, as it's MS's hardware.

I've heard of Ford having some issues like that.

Funny thing is that I'm usually the technology whisperer. And when people bring me things that aren't working they magically start to work.

I did have a nice session with my S3 last night. Only hitch was when I first turned it on it didn't realize the type cover wasn't attached and I couldn't enter my pin until I popped it back on.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yep. They are so much better than the Asus garbage they are replacing. I am sitting here now, with Xbox music playing some commodores, drinking a Bombay sapphire gin and tonic on the computer. LIFE IS GOOD!

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Our complaints here are with Windows 10. From other threads I see yours are on 8.1 and you literally had just got them. It took me longer just to run updates and get my profiles and apps set up, much less form an opinion about it. So while your input is appreciated, I think it needs to be put into the proper context here.

Learn from our mistakes, do NOT install 10, you will regret it. It will tempt you with a better desktop experience and some nice features, but DON'T DO IT!

It's good news that the latest insider release may resolve the bulk of the issues, I signed up for that but hadn't seen anything worth trying until now.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know not to update to w10 yet. 8.1 is working great. I hear that the new w10 update will address most of the issues, but I don't think it will bring back the touch IE/Edge browser control.

I do love the surface. I can provide my own opinion on the surface too as I was using other windows tablet combos and NONE are near as smooth as the surface. They work really well!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my issues are definitely Windows 10 + Surface 3. Either on their own is fantastic. I realize my thread title is a bit inflammatory. It just represents frustrations I had been going through. I also understand what it is to be bleeding edge but I hold MS to a little higher standard when it comes to their own current generation hardware.

But on the latest Fast Path it does seem to be better.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am waiting to run w10 until after the next round of updates. Both on my 1020 and on my surface.

That being said, both of us agree that these surface tablets are the best portable devices we have owned or used.

Tersanyus

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Not saying I hate my surface 3. I have the AT&T LTE model purchased from them directly.

Issues I have lately is the 128gb SD card goes missing. Using a PNY card from Amazon. This does not happen often but I restart and it is back. If I am using the tablet when the SD card goes off the whole tablet gets super slow. A restart can take half an hour.

Sometimes when I boot up the tablet and log in none of my desktop icons are there. Sometimes it takes two or three restarts to fix that.

Don't have much trouble with LTE other than it seems slow compared to other devices I have. The Surface 3 is on my mobile share plan.

Touchscreen stops responding occasionally. Have to hold power button to force tablet off to fix that one.

I've had a lot of laptops and desktops over the last couple decades. This is my first Microsoft device and I have to admit it's been the most problematic device I have ever owned.

I sure wish Microsoft would fix all these issues and make a Windows 10 restore image available. I've reset this tablet a few times and it's crazy to have to go back to Windows 8 each time

exleper

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I returned my Surface 3 a while ago because I didn't like it. Static from speakers, keyboard would sometimes not respond when connected, etc
Wait you can return it? Sold my Surface 2 and bought a 3 in August. Huge mistake. Its a slow, buggy, piece of crap. I can tell you just how much I hate that thing.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If going to 10 I'd make sure you get all the driver updates, firmware updates and go to the current fast path build. Also a reset after the upgrade would be a good idea.

The digitizer may still stop working on rare occasion and the store might get stuck. But everyone on Win10 gets a stuck store or WU if they have actually used the store more than once or twice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wasifl