I have a decision to make - can you help?

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a question about Windows Phone 8.1 for you guys today; hopefully your recent experiences will be able to answer it. Having used a Windows Phone 8 device as my daily driver since leaving Blackberry at the end of 2012 and finding that out of all the major players it is the best OS for me, the generally positive response to the 8.1 update, even from hardcore Android and iOS users, has been great to see. Considering Windows Phone as a platform, 8.1 as an operating system and the two devices as a whole, which would you suggest to get as a new phone - the 1520 or the Icon/930? I currently have a 1020 and I want to pick up a new device when my current contract expires in August, and keep the 1020 as a spare device and as a dedicated point-and-shoot.

Since I live in the UK the 930 will be released in the coming months and it is for all intents and purposes the same device as the Icon, I was disappointed to see that it will lack a micro SD card support and glance screen functionality, two features that the 1520 has. While the SD card support would be an added benefit, I?ve pretty much come to rely on glance as a standard feature and would struggle to move away from it. However it goes without saying that the 1520 is a massive device and I?m not sure if a phone that big would suit my needs. The main point of my question is this; since the core specs are pretty identical, based on your experience with these devices and with 8.1, which of these devices would you recommend I make as my next purchase? Anybody who has owned either of both of the 1520 and Icon, I would be very interested in your opinions to help me make my decision.

Also, as an aside, I went to various stores in town to try and get a look and feel of the 1520 (I've never seen one in person, and while I did actually get my hands on one, it was on display so I couldn't properly identify what it was like in my hand) and, even without stating my interest in Windows Phone, three of the five stores I visited took me straight to the 1020, displayed prominently in all three stores as a best-seller and the sales people recommended the phone to me. Makes me smile that the attitude, in the UK at least, is changing.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Take a close look at the two Search results for Lumia 930, Lumia 1520 - Nokia Notice the screens? Nokia 1520 - ClearBlack, IPS LCD , 6 '' Nokia 930 - ClearBlack, OLED , 5 ''.. I believe because of that difference is why it doesn't have Glance and never could. I love my 1520, I first thought it would be too big, after all, I sold my Note 2 because I felt it was too big for a daily phone. And the 1520 is even bigger, but after a few hours of using it, I don't think I could ever go back to a small screen again. I have the 520 as a backup phone, and it is very tiny compared to it.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that probably explains it, and glance is a huge feature for me, so it's one of the drawbacks for the 930. That big screen is massively tempting but I'm not sure if the sheer size of the device would be good for me. Have you had any issues coming from a smaller device?

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I went from a 1020 to a Lumia Icon (929?) and while I miss the mega-camera everything else is great. The phone is just the right size at 5" and is very snappy. Being able to stand it up is handy as well when I use it as a music player.

If you're already worried about the size and in-pocket portability of the 1520 then it's probably going to be too large.

I miss the glance screen as well, but got used to not having it in just a few days.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I managed to get my hands on one in a local store - it didn't feel as big as I expected and one-handed usability, while not as good as on my 1020, was adequate. I think I have my heart set on a 1520 but I'm open to being persuaded by Icon owners.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520 and if i had to pick up a WP i'd pick up another 1520. I like the others, including 1020 and a few others. However the beauty of that big screen is just too good for any other Lumia competitor. That's my two cents

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that probably explains it, and glance is a huge feature for me, so it's one of the drawbacks for the 930. That big screen is massively tempting but I'm not sure if the sheer size of the device would be good for me. Have you had any issues coming from a smaller device?

I came from the HTC One (M7) I loved that phone, sure wish I could have put WP on it. But the size is easy for me to get use to, since even with a 4.7" screen I used both hands to use them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria