Is the Facebook situation in WP8 as bad as 7.5?

Sqlserverguru

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I own a Lumia 900, and the Facebook situation is terrible. I have to connect to the site via three methods, and it's no where near efficient, nor do I see everything that's on the site. An example:

1: To post a status, I can use the "me" tile. To see who liked my status, I have to go to the Facebook app.

2: To like any comments that my friends posted on my pics, I can't do so from the people hub, so I have to do it either from the app or the touch.Facebook.com tile I have pinned to my start screen.

3. If I want to see anything from my group pages that are private, the people hub nor app work. It's back to the tile pinned for the website.

Also, forget tagging people in comments, nothing works right. Also, I can't just respond to Facebook messages via email like I could on my GS2. Being that you don't get message or chat notifications on real-time, responding by email would be nice. But that then means I read the email of the message, then have to log back into the app to respond. Again, none of these methods is great because if I load the site on my desktop, there's loads of posts that I didn't see on my phone. Is this the same situation in WP8, or is the people hub a lot more inclusive now? Is the official app on 8 a lot better than the one in 7.8? Also, the touch version of the site doesn't render correctly, so pictures are cutoff, I have to open the full size to see the whole picture in a new tab. That's a lot of workaround for a site I only use to chat with less computer savvy family members... If the Facebook situation is the same, no camera magic that Nokia is cooking up can keep me on the platform, I'll probably get an HTC One...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Before I go into point by point, you should check out the new facebook beta. It is very good and beats the built in version in the people hub. Much better than the Facebook Metro from Windows Phone 7

Facebook Beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

1: To post a status, I can use the "me" tile. To see who liked my status, I have to go to the Facebook app.
Yes this is the case.
2: To like any comments that my friends posted on my pics, I can't do so from the people hub, so I have to do it either from the app or the touch.Facebook.com tile I have pinned to my start screen.
Facebook Beta would fix this issue, it is basically just like touch.facebook.com, but it isn't buggy like the touch version because it isn't using a browser with HTML5.

3. If I want to see anything from my group pages that are private, the people hub nor app work. It's back to the tile pinned for the website.
I don't have any issues using the app for private groups within Facebook.

Also, forget tagging people in comments, nothing works right.
You can tag people using the Facebook Beta app.

Also, I can't just respond to Facebook messages via email like I could on my GS2.
why can't you reply via email? You could turn on Facebook messaging in the Messaging Hub and the messages will appear in your messaging hub. This does work about half the time thou, There are times when I get a FB Message and it doesn't get delievered to the phone. You could use the Facebook Beta app as it works very well.
Being that you don't get message or chat notifications on real-time, responding by email would be nice. But that then means I read the email of the message, then have to log back into the app to respond.
this is a good point, as notifications still a lot to be desired in WP.
Again, none of these methods is great because if I load the site on my desktop, there's loads of posts that I didn't see on my phone.
This has to do with the privacy settings your "friends" on facebook have set up. Using the Facebook Beta app or the WP7 Facebook app they should appear as they are considered Facebook, just like the website.
Is this the same situation in WP8, or is the people hub a lot more inclusive now? Is the official app on 8 a lot better than the one in 7.8? Also, the touch version of the site doesn't render correctly, so pictures are cutoff, I have to open the full size to see the whole picture in a new tab. That's a lot of workaround for a site I only use to chat with less computer savvy family members... If the Facebook situation is the same, no camera magic that Nokia is cooking up can keep me on the platform, I'll probably get an HTC One...

The Facebook Beta app I keep on mentioning was just released for WP8. It is basically a clone of the iOS app. It works really well. It is much better than the touch.facebook.com as it renders pictures great as they should. The touch version messes a lot of pictures up as you stated.

The only issue have with the beta version is my notification count which is in red never goes away, but that is a minor bug. :) I hope this helps you. Any more questions this community is great for asking questions. There is a still an app gap on this platform but it isn't as big as it was 6 months ago. Instagram apps using official API's and unofficial ways are now in the marketplace and this includes uploading pics.

There is also many great games and other apps that have joined the platform that are only on Windows Phone 8. If you download the WPCentral app you will have instant access to the windows phone news. You have links to download the apps from within the app which is great. See below to the link to the WPCentral App.

WPCentral | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Sqlserverguru

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Who cares about Facebook!

The 45 members of my family who either don't have a computer but have a smartphone, or have a computer and don't know how to use it that well. Sucks, you'd think people would know how to setup contact lists and email the family stuff, but alas, you work with what you've got, right?

Sqlserverguru

May 19, 2013
Visit site
why can't you reply via email? You could turn on Facebook messaging in the Messaging Hub and the messages will appear in your messaging hub. This does work about half the time thou, There are times when I get a FB Message and it doesn't get delivered to the phone. You could use the Facebook Beta app as it works very well.
[/QUOTE ]

Not sure why it never works. I'll try to respond via email, using my Gmail account, and the other person never sees it, nor will I see it when I login to the site on my PC and look at the message history. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll wait until the beta makes its way to WP 7.8 before passing final judgment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h