Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

lacsters85

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way to manually upgrade to 14295 and not jump to 14328? Will going this route allow us app updates that .218 (ore future threshold) may not get?

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
According to xda the latest Redstone builds are working, sort of, again on x20 phones. I.e., there's no boot loop. However, the latest fast-ring build is so buggy in other areas that it's not advisable.

Matt Frayer

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
is there an official (or otherwise) step by step process for putting redstone on the 1020 series yet or playing with it via device info-modding- mimicking a 950 still the only way? also where on xda forums did y"all see it was possible again?

cliac

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys whats the verdict for Lumia 1020 and Windows Phone 10? Here are a few questions and concerns...
Whats the best build right now?
What are the bugs?
Hows the battery life?
Are you happy browsing with edge (bug free)?
Does Lumia Camera work? Do we get the same quality?
Has anyone tried Redstone? is it worth the hassle to worik around to upgrade to redstone?

Some insight would be appreciated! Thank you :D
I would say it's okay to run w10m release build on 1020. Since availability of some apps and functions is different on W8.1 and W10M, I think it will be more a decision whether to stay with W8.1 for stability but missing some new functions/apps or enable those functions/apps but tolerate the "bugs" on W10m.

For the questions asked -
- The major bug for me is the WiFi hot spot function. The connection will drop when the screen goes locked. Someone may not have this problem though.
- Battery life is about 14~16 hours per charge. Not good but not terribly bad. With a 5000mAh battery on hand, it's quite easy to survive a day.
- Edge is not great but okay for me to browse most of the sites for information (not for video/music playing and other entertainment tasks). I do have Opera installed just in case.
- Lumia camera works at acceptable level but I don't feel it is as good as on W8.1. A major difference I see is auto-focus especially at low light conditions. I don't remember I had any problem when using W8.1 but with W10, it's hard to get a clear shot.
- Never tried to install Redstone on my 1020. What makes absolutely necessary to have this build installed?

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
for me version 420 has fixed standby battery life
phone last 2 days with light use (wifi/bt always on, 3g)
For me, build 420 on my 1020 is much worse than the previous build. I'm having problems with WiFi turning off and getting stuck off, or sometimes getting stuck on and not being possible to turn off. I get random reboots which I *never* had with the previous builds. I've also noticed the phone getting warm when on standby and when I turn it on, I find the battery has drained significantly. Nothing like this on previous builds. Is no-one else experiencing such issues?

EDIT: Hard Reset fixed it -- see below.

Last edited:

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
For me, build 420 on my 1020 is much worse than the previous build. I'm having problems with WiFi turning off and getting stuck off, or sometimes getting stuck on and not being possible to turn off. I get random reboots which I *never* had with the previous builds. I've also noticed the phone getting warm when on standby and when I turn it on, I find the battery has drained significantly. Nothing like this on previous builds. Is no-one else experiencing such issues?

Mine is running perfectly, no reboots and everything works, to extend battery life I keep NFC turned off, WIFI off (unless I am going to use them) also anything else running in the background I don't need.

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine is running perfectly, no reboots and everything works, to extend battery life I keep NFC turned off, WIFI off (unless I am going to use them) also anything else running in the background I don't need.
OK, good to know. Maybe I need to hard reset this time -- didn't have to with previous builds. I'll try that, and if it doesn't fix it, I'll try Redstone. I'm wary of going on to fast build Redstone, because this phone is my daily driver, and I can't afford to have it updating to new builds every week with the significant risk that it'll go into boot-loop cycle on the next build update. I need a bit more predictability, which is what Release Preview on Threshold was providing till .420.

EDIT: I hard reset and now it's running perfectly, and *very* cool! Much snappier. Strange, I didn't have to reset on all the previous builds, and suddenly I ran into this problem. But I'm very happy with it now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit