just one thing before i buy into this device

John Balacano

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi! :)

i own a hp deskjet d2460 printer and just wanted to know what will happen if you connect a printer that windows 8.1 RT does not support.? considering a surface 2 really for students purpose (especially that the price have dropped significantly from the original price of the surface 2)

thanks in advance :)

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
i own a hp deskjet d2460 printer and just wanted to know what will happen if you connect a printer that windows 8.1 RT does not support.?

Not compatible with Windows RT unfortunately.

I haven't connected such a device yet, but worst case scenario would be you'll simply see an error and won't be able to use the device at all. Best case scenario you can try if possible to install generic printer drivers or ones for other HP printers that are compatible with RT and hopefully get at least basic printing support. Also recommend you contact HP for advice and let us know too what they suggested (hopefully their advice isn't confined to "just buy a new HP printer!").

You are very unlikely to find such a printer. If it works with Windows, it works with RT too. Surface devices work with almost every printer on the market.
Might want to revise your opinion in light of the above.

Last edited:

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hard to say til you plug it in. I have an epson wp4555 or something to that effect. Its on the router. Somehow my surface found it and prints to it with no problems. On my old xp system I had added the printer to google cloud home page, but my printing was limited.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't get a chrome book, it's a giant piece of ****. Just a browser that can't do much more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Balacano

May 2, 2013
Visit site
yeah actually chromebook's are quite ok i say buit i think if you just want to browse the internet and all that ur much better off with a tablet or your PC even your phone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
yeah actually chromebook's are quite ok i say buit i think if you just want to browse the internet and all that ur much better off with a tablet or your PC even your phone.

They are okay to browse the web, and if paying a couple or hundred dollars to limit yourself to a browser than for all means go for it

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
They are okay to browse the web, and if paying a couple or hundred dollars to limit yourself to a browser than for all means go for it

You also have quick office haha

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
If at all you can borrow any Windows RT tablet (Asus VivoTab RT, Dell XPS 10, Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11, Microsoft Surface RT, Microsoft Surface 2, Nokia Lumia 2520 or Samsung ATIV Tab), connect your printer to it while the tablet's connected to the net and see if the generic/basic/in-OS print driver is installed. If it is you'll be able to print at least even if all the advanced functions aren't available. This sort of situation's hardly new to Windows RT. I remember when new Windows versions came out how HP refused to release drivers for my DJ200 and DJ630C even though the hardware was absolutely fine. It's a favourite tactic of hardware manufacturers who force you to toss away working devices and buy new ones if you want to use the latest OS version.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
In all seriousness if your printer is that old you will have this problem on any tablet or laptop that runs a recent OS. You may need to find a windows 7 machine or just buy a new wireless printer. I love mines as I can print from anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz