Keep/Return Lumia 920 | Rogers Warranty

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well. If you've seen my threads you would know that my battery life with the lumia 920 is horrible. I'm really really torn right now. My sister heads back to Canada tomorrow morning and I need to make a decision right now.

When I got the phone I immediately updated to Portico, so I don't know what the battery life was like prior to this. My phone does get warm when using it a lot, but it's a smart phone, what smart phone runs cool while using it a lot?

I'm not sure if my battery is defective but seeing all the other posts on WPCentral and across the internet gives me hope that it's an issue that can be fixed with a firmware/software update.

Which is why I ask, should I return it and get a replacement from rogers, or should I suck it up and wait. My problem with waiting is that Microsoft / Nokia has not even acknowledged the issue. Let's not pretend it's not an issue. ALOT of people have battery problems and ALOT of people don't. Will the battery/heat issue that others are experiencing be fixed?

The second part of the post is warranty exchange with Rogers. Will they have in stock?! Will I have to wait for a replacement? Will they even replace it for me? I saw somewhere that Rogers was not offering replacements but giving you refunds instead. Can ayone confirm this?

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
How has this issue not been acknowledged? Nokia has said many times (and I can personally verify this as well, through talking to customer support) that they are aware of several issues, including heat/battery issues with the phone, and are able to replicate the issue themselves in testing, and therefore working on a solution.

As for what you can do, really it's up to you. If you really really like the phone, I'd say try to get a replacement. All I can say is that it appears to be a hit or miss on the battery issues. Some people on these forums have had battery issues, then got a replacement device and have fixed it. Others were not so lucky with their replacement. Personally I have an L920 I picked up near the end of November and have not had any battery issues after using some of the common battery saving methods that you will find littered around the forums.

Again, it's not up to me to force you to stay with the phone, just go with whatever you want and what is most convenient for you - this phone is not for everyone and sometimes technical problems aren't worth dealing with (this goes for anything).

EDIT: and another solution is you can contact Nokia, and (most likely) they would be more than happy to send you a replacement if Rogers won't. They have great customer support. Only downside is that you would have to send the phone in to them first so you would need another phone to use in the meantime while they ship one to you.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How has this issue not been acknowledged? Nokia has said many times (and I can personally verify this as well, through talking to customer support) that they are aware of several issues, including heat/battery issues with the phone, and are able to replicate the issue themselves in testing, and therefore working on a solution.

As for what you can do, really it's up to you. If you really really like the phone, I'd say try to get a replacement. All I can say is that it appears to be a hit or miss on the battery issues. Some people on these forums have had battery issues, then got a replacement device and have fixed it. Others were not so lucky with their replacement. Personally I have an L920 I picked up near the end of November and have not had any battery issues after using some of the common battery saving methods that you will find littered around the forums.

Again, it's not up to me to force you to stay with the phone, just go with whatever you want and what is most convenient for you - this phone is not for everyone and sometimes technical problems aren't worth dealing with (this goes for anything).

EDIT: and another solution is you can contact Nokia, and (most likely) they would be more than happy to send you a replacement if Rogers won't. They have great customer support. Only downside is that you would have to send the phone in to them first so you would need another phone to use in the meantime while they ship one to you.

Thanks. I love this phone. But I don't want to end up with another with even more problems. I also don't want to wait in vain for an update and HOPE it fixed my problem :(

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ya I definitely wouldn't just sit around and wait if you are intending to use this phone. Especially if Nokia is willing to replace it free of charge - if Rogers won't.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ya I definitely wouldn't just sit around and wait if you are intending to use this phone. Especially if Nokia is willing to replace it free of charge - if Rogers won't.

And replace it and get a further defective phone? I'm in the Caribbean. It's not that easy to walk into a rogers store or ship stuff across the world and get it replaced. I only have the option now because my sister is going back to cananda and I have an aunt coming back to the Caribbean in January. But like I said, what if that phone is worse?! Then what? I'll be in a bigger bucket of s h it.

Nokia has proven they will release a fix, so its more a matter of when, not if, but if you have your doubts, replace it.

Nokia has proven this when/where?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has proven this when/where?

uh, the countless updates they provided for the 900, immediately correcting the radio firmware and purple hues. On top of this, they've provided how many updates to our phone already? The firmware along with all of their OS customizations for the screen, audio, etc.

akiman911

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Rogers will definitely be iffy about replacing your phone for that reason, they can be a pain

Nokia will not have a problem.... I have never needed to send my phone in prior to them shipping out a replacement... I currently have 2 Nokia Lumia 920's both defective, and the 3rd one is on its way lol..

What is your idle drain like generally?

Call nokia tell them its another problem like something loose inside =)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Rogers will definitely be iffy about replacing your phone for that reason, they can be a pain

Nokia will not have a problem.... I have never needed to send my phone in prior to them shipping out a replacement... I currently have 2 Nokia Lumia 920's both defective, and the 3rd one is on its way lol..

1% every couple minutes.

Then sometimes it's at 100% for a whole hour.. It's really confusing -_-

flame l

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

HI, I called nokia about exchanging or repair of the phone, they told me to go to Rogers because they will be the one who gonna send it. Did you go also in Rogers store ?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Look. Your battery is the crappiest I've heard of. There is only a high probability of getting a good one. Have your sister, if she is willing to, observe the phone while she is in Canada. Tell her to look at the battery monitor and report to you what the idle usage is. If it is crap she can go back into Rogers and replace it while she is there. She can also look for other things like rebooting.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well finally nokia shipped the phone back to my sister in Canada. She has not picked it up yet as she is at work. Luckily for me I have a close family member coming from Canada on Sunday. (It would have costed me 153 CDN to ship it to me! talk about dodging a bullet)

I'm just wondering in the mean time if nokia changed the phone or changed parts...

I noticed online on the "Tracking your repair" option on nokias website it says..

Jan 16 2013 10:01AM
Hold for Parts

The battery was the main problem. Never got any reboots or freezes. So if they changed the battery, well that should be good :)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well it's the same phone.

seems like they changed the battery. Good news is that after 100% my sister told me the battery is saying 2days 2 hrs remaining. previously it wud say 1 day and 3 hours or so.

Will have her check out the idle drain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sudhir0008