[L520] Weird behavior?

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I have installed WP8.1 with Lumia Denim on my 520.I have noticed that whenever I clear the temporary files through storage sense,the phone suddenly becomes very slow and jittery.Even the App lists goes empty when I scroll and later appears while the tiles are still there the picture on the tiles goes missing.When I attempt to open the app it takes forever to load.I didn't have this kind of a issue in WP8. Can somebody explain why this is happening?

EDIT:Also anyone else facing the same issue?

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm facing the same issue. Apparently this issue also affect other type of phone, but on low end devices like your 520, it happen more often. I can't find any article about it but my assumption is that, WP8.1 trade some of your RAM capacity for new features, i.e. Notifications and action center, the phone can no longer hold tiles and app list icon on RAM since there is other task that need those memory. From my experience, if it's not so bad, only app installed on SD card are affected, if it's bad enough, almost all app, even default app like Photos and People, will lose it's icon and won't open at all, if it's the worst, your phone will restart by itself, and there'll be SD card corruption message.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think its because of the apps installed on SDcard and the SDcard is not of class 10 because even i have the same experience and my SD card is class 4(don't want to change because im in no mood of transferring the files)

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I think its because of the apps installed on SDcard and the SDcard is not of class 10 because even i have the same experience and my SD card is class 4(don't want to change because im in no mood of transferring the files)

Nope, I have class 10 / UHS-1. But you're right, no matter how fast SD card is, it will never even close to internal storage.

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm facing the same issue. Apparently this issue also affect other type of phone, but on low end devices like your 520, it happen more often. I can't find any article about it but my assumption is that, WP8.1 trade some of your RAM capacity for new features, i.e. Notifications and action center, the phone can no longer hold tiles and app list icon on RAM since there is other task that need those memory. From my experience, if it's not so bad, only app installed on SD card are affected, if it's bad enough, almost all app, even default app like Photos and People, will lose it's icon and won't open at all, if it's the worst, your phone will restart by itself, and there'll be SD card corruption message.
Yeah I took think that way. Because my brother's Lumia 525 has 1GB RAM and does not have the same issue.

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I have class 10 / UHS-1. But you're right, no matter how fast SD card is, it will never even close to internal storage.
I too use Sandisk class 10 memory card. But when the tiles goes missing it looks like the app
that is stored in the SD card disappears the most.People,Phone tiles etc.. doesn't disappear.
EDIT:I have also had memory errors, So I scanned the card for errors.Now the error message doesn't come.

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I think you should hard reset the phone before installing anything new. You should also format your SDCard. And yes donot forget to take backup of your SDCard. Goto settings then search for backup.

Armaan Malik1

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Guess what, denim is waste on my 520. MS hasn't done this properly with battery drain and other issues. My 630 has those basic options which my 520 doesn't have like selecting multiple contacts in people hub and equaliser and longer screen standby time options.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Cache. It's all because of cache. Deleting Temporary files or using resource heavy apps clears the cache, causing the os to refill it again, which results in stutter and greyed icons for some time. It's got nothing to do with SD cards, that's a totally unrelated but similar issue.

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Cache. It's all because of cache. Deleting Temporary files or using resource heavy apps clears the cache, causing the os to refill it again, which results in stutter and greyed icons for some time. It's got nothing to do with SD cards, that's a totally unrelated but similar issue.
If that's the case the same should happen when I delete temporary files through storage check.But when I delete temp files through storage check the OS doesn't stutter,no greyed tiles.And the navigation is as smooth as it was in WP8.And yet clears the temp files more efficiently.
EDIT: Check it out you will see for yourself.

Last edited:

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Indeed it's because of cache. But deleting temporary files is not the cause, any task that requires more RAM will clear the cache, including high memory app or those that are not properly optimized, happened to me with Tubecast and BBM or when installing a heavy app. The affected app is, well default app has more privileges so the get reloaded first or don't get flushed, apps installed on internal usually not much and they are fast to access so sometimes they'll still retain their place rather quickly, SD card apps, which are alot on slow is the last to come back.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
If that's the case the same should happen when I delete temporary files through storage check.But when I delete temp files through storage check the OS doesn't stutter,no greyed tiles.And the navigation is as smooth as it was in WP8.And yet clears the temp files more efficiently.
EDIT: Check it out you will see for yourself.

Uhhh... Alright, help me out a little bit here, cause I'm confused. What exactly happens when you delete temp files through storage sense? Because you clearly stated in the original post that clearing the temp data SLOWED down the OS.

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Uhhh... Alright, help me out a little bit here, cause I'm confused. What exactly happens when you delete temp files through storage sense? Because you clearly stated in the original post that clearing the temp data SLOWED down the OS.
Ok,Let me explain clearing temp files through Storage Sense causes the OS to stutter,slow down and grey tiles appear.On the other hand I found that clearing temp files through STORAGE CHECK didn't cause the OS to stutter and no appearances of grey tiles.In other words,no issues of stuttering or lag or missing of tiles.
EDIT:I think this clears your confusion

Last edited:

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeeeeah. My phone's SENSE shows I've got no temporary data whatsoever, whereas the CHECK app reduced it from 67 to 51 to 42 to 30 to 16 mbs each time I pressed the clear button! Also, the CHECK app can't detect my apps at all. Dunno what it is, but the CHECK app seems to be the shady one here.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I reduced the temp data to 3.7 MB in CHECK and sure enough the icons and live tiles had to load again. And I did experience mild stutter.

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah.The CHECK app can't detect all the apps.But the CHECK seems to do a better job. I reduced my temp files from 132 MB to 7.4 MB. But it didn't face any stutter or reloading of icons or tiles.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I too use Sandisk class 10 memory card. But when the tiles goes missing it looks like the app
that is stored in the SD card disappears the most.People,Phone tiles etc.. doesn't disappear.
EDIT:I have also had memory errors, So I scanned the card for errors.Now the error message doesn't come.

Ill get that error message monthly once if i restart my phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h