Lumia 920, 3 years old, battery drains 4% / hour with no use, but resets battery life when restarted

W

WPCentral Question

Hi all,

I've owned my Lumia 920 for 3 years now, purchased brand new and always looked after it. I've had no issues until yesterday, except for about 2 months ago the side-camera button stopped working to load the camera app and take photos (app tile and on-screen capture button now).

The night before last, I put my phone on charge whilst I went to sleep and when I woke up in the morning I found that the battery was showing as being in saver mode. I thought the lead had come loose so I let it charge again and confirmed it had the charge icon. When I took out the lead 30 mins later it had even less charge.

I thought the phone might just be going screwy so I did a soft reset (held volume down and power until the screen went off, and then the phone vibrated and reset). When the phone came back to life, it had 100% power.

Within 3 hours I was down to about 50% when it had just been sat on the desk, idle, next to me. I turned the phone off and on again, and the battery life was back up to about 98%.

This continued through the entire day; three times it entered battery saver, but when I reset the phone the battery life jumped back up to it's "real" value but then resumed falsely draining fast.

I thought I'd just let the phone run out of juice but I think it hangs at "5%" (false) battery and won't actually turn itself off. It was at 5% when I went to bed last night, and 8 hours later it was still at 5%. I reset it and it went back to 41% (having not been charged in just over 24 hours, AND seen some use through the day, though being manually reset 3 times in that 24 hour period because it said I was in battery saving mode).

I think I'm going to let the battery ACTUALLY drain and see what happens, but I wonder if you guys have any other ideas, or have experienced this yourself?

Can you get new batteries for Lumia 920s? I thought the phone was entirely sealed.

Thanks

- James

W

WPCentral Question

Hi all,

I've owned my Lumia 920 for 3 years now, purchased brand new and always looked after it. I've had no issues until yesterday, except for about 2 months ago the side-camera button stopped working to load the camera app and take photos (app tile and on-screen capture button now).

The night before last, I put my phone on charge whilst I went to sleep and when I woke up in the morning I found that the battery was showing as being in saver mode. I thought the lead had come loose so I let it charge again and confirmed it had the charge icon. When I took out the lead 30 mins later it had even less charge.

I thought the phone might just be going screwy so I did a soft reset (held volume down and power until the screen went off, and then the phone vibrated and reset). When the phone came back to life, it had 100% power.

Within 3 hours I was down to about 50% when it had just been sat on the desk, idle, next to me. I turned the phone off and on again, and the battery life was back up to about 98%.

This continued through the entire day; three times it entered battery saver, but when I reset the phone the battery life jumped back up to it's "real" value but then resumed falsely draining fast.

I thought I'd just let the phone run out of juice but I think it hangs at "5%" (false) battery and won't actually turn itself off. It was at 5% when I went to bed last night, and 8 hours later it was still at 5%. I reset it and it went back to 41% (having not been charged in just over 24 hours, AND seen some use through the day, though being manually reset 3 times in that 24 hour period because it said I was in battery saving mode).

I think I'm going to let the battery ACTUALLY drain and see what happens, but I wonder if you guys have any other ideas, or have experienced this yourself?

Can you get new batteries for Lumia 920s? I thought the phone was entirely sealed.

Thanks

- James

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central.

There has been a lengthy discussion in these forums about battery life and battery calibration. The short story is: for the phone to "know" the amount of battery power left, it has to read the battery calibration data; this calibration data gets reset in many ways - restarting the phone, completely draining the battery, sometimes even simply changing the region of your phone - proving and disproving this made the discussion even longer. A change in calibration data reading doesn't immediately mean that the amount of battery power has changed.

The even shorter story is: let your phone run for at least 15-20 minutes after powering up so it'll have enough time to read the actual, correct, accurate, precise, deterministic, absolute battery power level from calibration data... because most of the time when your phone comes to life it's not reading the correct values yet.

Yes, the phone doesn't have a "removable" battery, but I think the main problem is the age of the phone... given that, it may be hard to find a replacement battery for that phone. Your best option may be to take it to a service center and have them replace the battery for you, but you should be ready to explain why and to wait for some time (weeks) before you get your phone back... and of course you'll have to shell out some cash.

You may create a Windows Central account to Reply in this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander