Lumia 925 Amoled Burn In

dontbyteme

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have some concerns over the burn in of the screen on the 925. I understand that this is not an issue specific to the phone but rather the use of AMOLED screen. I noticed this issue while trying out the demo phones at the mobile shops when I try to switch the theme to a white background. I would assume that most of these phones have spent a fair amount of time on the black background and I wonder if that is exacerbating the issue. On one of the phones, I could recognize the burn in as coming from the Office live tile. There was also the burn in of some weird pattern near the centre of the phone screen which was clearly visible. I saw this problem not just on one phone but probably on the phones of the 3-4 shops that I visited, albeit with varying degrees of burn in. Given that these phones were probably in the store for not more than 6 months, you would probably understand my concern.

Although I have heard that some other phones(e.g. Samsung) also exhibit such burn in, I never saw it on many of the other phone models (mainly running Android) that were in the shop. I would think the more fluid and colourful design of the Android home screen lessens the effect of the burn in. The Lumia 800 that I am currently using(for about 1.5 years) running white background doesnt seem to exhibit the problem.

As I would be receiving my 925 in a couple of days, I just wanted to ask around and see if other users were facing this issue (especially those who have had it for a while) and maybe just highlighted the issue so that other users could prevent it(such as switching around the live tiles every once in a while).

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen this yet.

But, if you do want to prevent this, I suggest cycling your theme colors (and backgrounds), moving the tiles around, and if you ever get to use Glance Background, cycle those backgrounds.

Also, you can always turn off Glance and leave Double-Tap to Wake open ;)

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen this yet.

But, if you do want to prevent this, I suggest cycling your theme colors (and backgrounds), moving the tiles around, and if you ever get to use Glance Background, cycle those backgrounds.

Also, you can always turn off Glance and leave Double-Tap to Wake open ;)

that's silly. shouldn't have to go through all that nonsense to use features that came from the manufacturer.

my suggestion? let it burn in... if it does, just bring it to the MS store and they'll swap it out no problem, whether you bought it from them or not. If there's no MS store near you, i guess you're out of luck

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I noticed on my Lumia 925 the circle outlines of app bar icons is burnt into the screen :( I've had the phone for 4 or 5 months.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.

I think I'm definitely gonna stick with LCD screens from now on. I like the colors on my 920 better (yes, I adjusted the screen to my liking but I still prefer the 920's screen) and my 920 didn't have a blue tint when viewing it from an angle. I really love the 925's display, it's excellent! But LCD is better for me.

I hope I can prevent my screen from burning in. Luckily, though, it looks like it's not that common because if it was this thread would be much longer.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
i too hate AMOLED screens, blue tint when not facing it properly and awkward pixel disposition (look at the picture to understand what i mean).. 920's screen is MUCH better!

AMOLED_sucks-600x300.png

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about burn-in. It is VERY hard to achieve it. You'd have to leave your display on all the time, and no matter the AMOLED screen, it would burn in. Nokia is good at making sure that their screens don't get burn in. Even if you set the glance screen to always on, the white display letters will cycle around the screen, preventing the burn in. Also, AMOLED has some serious features over LCD, aka battery life, so they're a good choice.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's amoled really sucks, also they don't provide even 1 more hour of battery life, the lag in unbelievable, that's why top phones have always had the spectacular ips. Not considering Icon because is country limited, USA carrier limited, enough said

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I'd considered getting the 1520 over the 1020.... But I think demo phones have those because a lot of people fiddle with them for months, so their screens are usually turned on for prolonged preiods of time.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Anthony DiGioia

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I switched from a 920 to a 925, but I still play around with my 920. Since I use the dark theme there is no comparison in how the phone looks. You get some burn in and the color might be a little over saturated but the blacks literally look like the screen is off. You can't tell where the screen borders are. I hope that Microsoft continues to make phones with AMOLED screens it really compliments the black UI. I get some burn in on the application bar. Those three dots and the refresh button from the browser are burned in. I've had the phone for a couple months now and I just found that Wiper app it took like two long sessions and they are almost gone. I'm surprised Nokia didn't integrate a screen wiper into the phone, I used to have a plasma TV that had one in the settings. I think is a must have. Just my opinion.

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have had my Lumia 925 for about 1,5 years now. I just did a screentest and noticed that when I select the blue screen color, a ghost image of the internet explorer bar is clearly visible on the bottom of the screen. I use Internet explorer quite a lot, as you would imagine. This ghost image is also visible at the white test screen, barely noticeable at the red test screen and not noticeable at the green test screen.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Demo units sit all day with the same test pattern on. That will burn any AMOLED screen.

I used to see burn pretty bad on Galaxy S3's. Usually it was alarm clocks or music apps or clock widgets that people left on all the time.

It's not too hard to prevent it though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddacker