Lumia 950 or Iphone SE?

easymoneysniper

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi, guys I want opinions in a choice im having a real difficult time soo I have saving some money and I would like to upgrade my phone currently im using Iphone 5 and im thinking of going to the SE or the lumia 950, previously before my iphone i was using lumia 820, soo im pretty familiar with both os, but im scared of taking the risk of going to w10 because i dont know if they are going to stop giving update since the phone was lunched 2015, which doesnt happen with iphone SE was lunched in 2016 and apple confirmed support until 2020, but at the same time I want a bigger screen better photos...hard choices

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, guys I want opinions in a choice im having a real difficult time soo I have saving some money and I would like to upgrade my phone currently im using Iphone 5 and im thinking of going to the SE or the lumia 950, previously before my iphone i was using lumia 820, soo im pretty familiar with both os, but im scared of taking the risk of going to w10 because i dont know if they are going to stop giving update since the phone was lunched 2015, which doesnt happen with iphone SE was lunched in 2016 and apple confirmed support until 2020, but at the same time I want a bigger screen better photos...hard choices

They're both nice phones. As you stated, the SE will get updated much longer than the 950. It really depends on how much you want to spend and which OS you prefer.
Good luck!

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I just did a hard reset on my 950 (no back up), working much better but still lacking for my usage which is relatively light compared to many - Can't access certain sites via "any" browser, my wireless cameras, security cams, wireless mediashare device, and the list goes on and on.

At this point and time I have a tough time recommending any WP to anyone as their main go-to device, the uncertainties are too great at this point and time... I have the luxury of switching to something more capable at anytime but many do not.

So bottom line, if your ok with a much smaller display the SE is my pick. Battery life, support, fluid operation, and apps galore are some of it's appealing traits.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No doubt about it, get the SE.

Heck, if you want a larger display, consider the iPhone 6 or 6s.

We're in the unsatisfying end of Windows Phone's third and final act. Anything new and substantial that Microsoft does WILL leave the 950 behind. Only get it if it is ridiculously cheap and you have the option to get another phone later.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The insiders preview they have atm is stable as, AFAIK, bugless. Updates, although we know we will get some, aren't really _nessasary_.

There are some enterprise features coming, they will change the keyboard, and we should get timeline and files on demand via the Cortana and onedrive apps respectively. Additionally app updates via UWP on PC, means no matter what current win10 phones will continue to receive new features.

UWP isn't like other mobile app platforms, its the whole endgame for windows in general. If support for current win10m ended tomorrow, it would still get new features via apps for years to come. And given the intensive focus on bugfixes since CU, its looking pretty polished on the insiders build.

No worries there unless a) you are an atypically huge app user, like a business traveller b) you atypically are huge into smartdevices, like smarthome gear - some stuff works, not all stuff does c) you have wearables already that aren't compatible (plenty of wearables are, but with win10, better to buy the wearables _second_ than hope the ones you have already work. d) paywave - if you want this on your phone it only works currently in the US - you can get paywave smart rings, cards to go on your phone and loads of alternatives, but if you specifically want it on your phone, and live outside the US, it doesn't work.

None of those are really "normal" use situations, but it bears mentioning, because these three areas are win10m weak points. If you are one of those people, you might make it work, but you should be aware.

Also, and this is more generally pertinent - there is few banking apps. I use lastpass to get into the website instead. Nearly as convenient, but not exactly as good. Only "workaround" I've needed, but there's that (May change after WoA releases, that should really boost UWP because windows laptops and notebooks are very popular devices)

Win10m has great OS features - vertical scrolling, live tiles, Cortana text replies while driving, inline text replies, PC interopability and a beautiful UI that's a joy to use. Obviously iPhone has more support, more smart devices and more apps. Apples and oranges in a way.

Last edited:

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
That depends on you. If you are in an apple ecosystem you might as well not bother about a 950. Moreover, the app gap being a concern for many, would propel most users to not consider windows phones. There isn't anything new coming from Microsoft so I would recommend you to go for the SE unless of course, you've used Windows Phones and the app gap isn't an issue (app gap doesn't affect all of us)

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
While I still hope that they deliver the CShell update for the 950 series and to the x3 & Idol 4s I still wouldn't be too confident about that since MS is known well for not releasing updates for their older hardware that could still run them pretty well though. If you're used to have a lot of apps on your iPhone, then Windows 10 Mobile is not the right OS for you.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
While I still hope that they deliver the CShell update for the 950 series and to the x3 & Idol 4s I still wouldn't be too confident about that since MS is known well for not releasing updates for their older hardware that could still run them pretty well though. If you're used to have a lot of apps on your iPhone, then Windows 10 Mobile is not the right OS for you.

Well if they don't release for those, there would have to be newer hardware. Which there currently isn't.

We are all waiting for that, with baited breath, so if that happens, its not an entirely losing proposition for win10m users - as it would mean a slight renewal of market energy and software development focus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny