Microsoft in crisis according to the BBC's Technology Correspondent...

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's an example of mis-guided reporting from Apple ****** and BBC Technology Correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones - see the bit at the end...

Microsoft targets mobile phone unit as 7,800 more jobs go - BBC News

Ok, so trust me on this one. Rory is a self-confessed Apple ******. It is common knowledge in the tech media community. My point here is that the article and more importantly Rory's 'editoral' comment misses the point and did not consider the long term strategy of the announcement. A good example of objective analysis can be found here...
Microsoft's restructuring of their phone business was necessary, obvious, and good for Lumia | Windows Central
... and it's not because it's pro-WP, it's because IMO that it analyses the announcement in depth rather than saying they are cutting jobs and hence the platform is dead.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
WC mostly does in-depth articles, that actually make sense. It comes off as being too optimistic sometimes, but when you actually think about it, the reasoning is sound. This is one of the reasons, why I love WC and keep coming back :)

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about the BBC - they are failing and heading for a massive fall. The quality is a shadow of its former self due to lack of money. Their whole business model based on licence fee is flawed in todays world, they themselves announced something like 10,000 job cuts due to less people paying the fee (myself included) - with less on the table to offer, the quality individuals are leaving or will leave to head to other companies.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about the BBC - they are failing and heading for a massive fall. The quality is a shadow of its former self due to lack of money. Their whole business model based on licence fee is flawed in todays world, they themselves announced something like 10,000 job cuts due to less people paying the fee (myself included) - with less on the table to offer, the quality individuals are leaving or will leave to head to other companies.
Yeah - I agree with your comments, but unfortunately the BBC still has a massive readership and they have the ability to direct peoples opinions. Internally they do not 'support' WP within their IT (everyone has i-products) although this 'should not' affect their journalism - however, you can't control human behaviour...

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
True - many of the iSheep still blindly following mainstream biased media. Yet there is hope, I look at the way Surface has developed, iteration by iteration, slowly people have realised the iPad is a toy you cant really get work done with, its great for surfing the web and consuming media, crap at creating it, i guess Apple want to change that but looking at their soulless leadership they probably don't want to rock the boat. WP needs to be the ONLY choice for enterprise the same way Blackberry was back in the day, once that happens peoples mindset will begin to shift. It can be done, will take time and consistant effort from MS, the question is, do they have the stomach for it.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Even more true. One of the major problems is that most people have 'bought into' and tied themselves into the Apple ecosystem - music, films, apps etc and don't want to have the pain of migrating to a different ecosystem. My friends say things like, 'that Lumia is great, but I've got loads of itunes stuff that I want to keep'. Now especially with kids having iPhones bought by their parents the situation just gets worse. It must be a huge problem for MS to resolve. It's a bit like changing bank account and / or utility provider. Unless it's easy to migrate you are pretty much stuck for life... or maybe not?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was one of those in the Apple ecosystem, had everything Apple. With work though it had to be windows, I tried hard to blend the two and in the end just wasn't worth doing. 90+% of the world uses windows based PC's and Apple have made it crystal clear they are focussing on the consumer market. The BYOD is a bit of a mess and enterprise long for a company that loves them the way Blackberry did, if MS can be that company and offer viable handsets then people will get tired of carrying 2 devices and opt for the one, most likely the one pushed by the place where they work. Look at iPads - their days are numbered and companies are dropping them in favour of PC tablets, but at the time they had no choice but to go with iPads.

IEhrgeizI

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
In all fairness if Microsoft is cutting back on making all of these phones then it's a case of the other OEMs filling in the gaps if Microsoft can't make up the numbers. The chances of this hapening are actually really slim. Windows on mobile is likely to be a niche market segment unfortunately. That won't stop me buying Lumia however.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Even more true. One of the major problems is that most people have 'bought into' and tied themselves into the Apple ecosystem - music, films, apps etc and don't want to have the pain of migrating to a different ecosystem. My friends say things like, 'that Lumia is great, but I've got loads of itunes stuff that I want to keep'. Now especially with kids having iPhones bought by their parents the situation just gets worse. It must be a huge problem for MS to resolve. It's a bit like changing bank account and / or utility provider. Unless it's easy to migrate you are pretty much stuck for life... or maybe not?
Ya I agree.. Same here goes with google too... Many r tied up with google... Since WP has scarce support from Google ... Ppl don't come here or just they don't seem making migrating from google to MS worth!

Well I myself bbeing tied to MS ecosystem... I don't like to move to Apple or Google. Its a common trend.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Even though the BBC generally over dramatise their articles often masked with lazy research, alas readers believe the cobbled together inaccurate stories, without delving further and truly understanding what really is going on.

The damage is done, regardless of what the upper echelons are doing, the consumers for windows phone are dwindling fast, and news stories like this only damage things further, Microsoft won't even develop a bead of sweat over burying windows phone, so my advice would be enjoy it while it lasts, change is life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skuwal