Microsoft will replace Windows 11's terrible Mail & Calendar apps with the new Outlook app in 2024

Hanley Gibbons

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft will replace Fast, Light, touch&pen friendly native Mail & Calendar apps with the new terrible, slow, heavy, pen&touch unfriendly web tech based Outlook app in 2024 that doesn't even work in background and use 500mb of Ram for nothing.

You forgot lack of offline support! It literally can't even open to let you see cached emails without an internet connection.

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft will replace Fast, Light, touch&pen friendly native Mail & Calendar apps with the new terrible, slow, heavy, pen&touch unfriendly web tech based Outlook app in 2024 that doesn't even work in background and use 500mb of Ram for nothing.​

FIXED​

Indeed, I tried it on one of those cheap old tablets that were popular some years ago, and it is completely useless: it's slow, the elements don't scale properly and result hard to interact with, and it's generally not a tablet-friendly experience.
The current UWP apps, whilst not perfect, offer a much more optimized experience that results usable even on a low end, el-cheapo tablet with barely 2GB of ram and a low-power Atom processor

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft will replace Fast, Light, touch&pen friendly native Mail & Calendar apps with the new terrible, slow, heavy, pen&touch unfriendly web tech based Outlook app in 2024 that doesn't even work in background and use 500mb of Ram for nothing.​

FIXED​

Thanks a lot for this comment! I thought I was the only person who's been far from impressed with the 'New Outlook Experience'.

It's a terrible downgrade from the super-fast, fluid, light, touch friendly (and pinch to zoom friendly as well) Mail and Calendar app. It can't even sync consistently in the background! Scrolling is also janky.
I've never understood why Microsoft did not simply fixe the only weakness of Mail and Calendar which is the rendering issues of content from some sources.
I've had to revert to Mail and Calendar. I'll take it over the 'New Outlook' any day. I'll simply use the web client when I need to see content that can't be properly rendered on the Mail and Calendar app.

Anyone know how to save an offline installer for the Mail and Calendar app before it gets delisted from the Store?

mfranov1

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the other commenters - nothing really to look forward to: new app takes more RAM, is slow, doesn't provide unified inbox view anymore, mimics awful web mail interface and is not working offline at all. Oh, and isn't working with pen at all.

Getting from bad to worse on Microsoft side.
This trend of replacing tailored desktop or UWP apps with their web equivalents is just getting worse and worse while not bringing anything better for the end user.

Reactions: DontBeEvil10

wendi martin1

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Microsoft has today issued an update on when users can expect to see the new Outlook client launch as a replacement for the built-in Mail & Calendar apps on Windows 11.

Microsoft will replace Windows 11's terrible Mail & Calendar apps with the new Outlook app in 2024 : Read more
For personal use, the outlook mail program is perfect. it's a shame that windows doesn't realize that and updates the mail program instead of getting rid of it. I don't want Outlook on my home computer. it's too much and I hate it. I really like the mail program. Outlook is great at work but it's not good for personal use. Simple is better when there's just one or two emails.

Reactions: paulw3

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
How does this impact the Outlook program included in Microsoft 365? Please don't say that will go away.
The proper Microsoft Outlook that's part of the Office suite should remain for the foreseeable future. The new Outlook for Windows (the web wrapper) has no support for offline mode and many of the advanced feature of the native Outlook, so we should be fine for at least a couple of years

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital