Microsoft's Movies and TV now supports Movies Anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolexDPracer

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I totally am. The vast majority of my movie collection is from my Microsoft store purchases. Now that I can watch content on my Android devices, I'm less hesitant to by from the Microsoft store. When Windows Phone died, my movie purchases dried up significantly.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
When I read about this last week, I immediately signed up for Movies Anywhere, connected it to my MS account, and bought Avengers Infinity War in UHD.

To my massive disappointment, there's no way to download it at higher than HD on PC and no way to download at all on my Xbox One X (streaming only). So frustrating!! That's not a Movies Anywhere problem, but a Microsoft Movies & TV problem.

It's not possible to get fast enough Internet bandwidth here to stream 4k/UHD. Based on the sizes of the UHD movies compared with HD movies, it should take about 10-12 hours to download. That's completely worth it to me for UHD quality -- start the download one evening and watch the movie the next day. Maybe the studios' licensing terms prevent Microsoft from allowing UHD downloads, but Microsoft should at least provide some new buffering technology to allow it to buffer the whole movie in the background before playing. Even if it must auto-erase after that, it would still be better than nothing.

Note that I don't think anyone else offers anything better, so this isn't a negative unique to Microsoft Movies & TV, but it's still a problem that should be solvable.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, if I figure out how to download a 4k copy. I know I can't do that on Movies & TV and streaming isn't always an option for me.

@unmorphed, I'm in the same boat and I don't think it's possible. I just tried this weekend after buying a UHD/4k movie. On PC, it looks like the movie can only be downloaded in an HD or SD version. No download option at all on Xbox (which is where I really wanted to watch it).

gregsedwards

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll definitely buy more content now that Movies & TV is participating in Movies Anywhere. However, I do wish that MM&TV provided better family-sharing feautres. Right now, I can buy a movie in MM&TV and it's available to me as well as my family members through MA, because I set-up sub accounts for them. However, those subaccounts don't cross-pollinate with their own MSAs, so they can't watch my movies under MM&TV under their own logins. Basically, unless they want to watch via MA, they're out of luck. Surely, Microsoft don't expect me to buy multiple individual copies of every movie or share my account, just so my kids can watch their favorite movies, right?

Vishvjeet Arya

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not going to buy any movies from Microsoft, I don't feel they will continue to support their own services in a few years (see groove music )and think it will be safer to buy digital content from other providers who have a bigger stake in TV and video content.
Wasn't that's the idea behind MoviesAnywhere? To watch and maintain your buying rights, you buy it from any store and get to keep it even if the store shuts down!

abel46

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Why would I buy movies? A movie is something that I see one time. And most likely - never again. Therefor I only rent it. If it is very new, so it can't be rented only brought, then wait a month or two, and then it can be rented. I see something else in the mean time.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Why would I buy movies? A movie is something that I see one time. And most likely - never again. Therefor I only rent it. If it is very new, so it can't be rented only brought, then wait a month or two, and then it can be rented. I see something else in the mean time.

Or Netflix, HBO Go, etc. I agree why buy a movie?

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
@unmorphed, I'm in the same boat and I don't think it's possible. I just tried this weekend after buying a UHD/4k movie. On PC, it looks like the movie can only be downloaded in an HD or SD version. No download option at all on Xbox (which is where I really wanted to watch it).

It's definitely not an option with Movies & TV, Microsoft support has confirmed that. What I'm hoping is that one of the other Movies Anywhere members support 4k downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di