Most needed Video Features in Windows Phone 8.1?

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re-frame video in real time
Extract Images from video in real time
Auto create .gifs from video natively
Add music, filters, text, images and canned effects to video.
3rd party API's for video manipulation
A native video Editor

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Apart from "A native video Editor " you didn't listed anything proper, all your other "features" isn't a need for casual users.

You can't fit EVERYTHING into the OS or it will be cluster **** like android, there's apps for advanced things, there's no need to put more **** than needed

Do you know many people who would want to make gif of a video? No

rQvsnaps

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Onscreen "swipe" functions
I used mxplayer when I was on android, for example swiping up/down changes volume - swiping left/right for searching while watching a video (increments in seconds), local or streamed, pinch for reframing.. - all in real time, and very responsive...

The streaming of the native wp8 media player is absolute poo in comparison, allthough it gets the job done. Barely.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Cool features, just wondering, does android or apple provide these?

I also have an HTC One and it provides apps from HTC that can do everything listed above. The same company that developed the software suite was purchased by Nokia a while back, so I know Nokia has the software. Honestly, nothing listed above is extraordinary. There are several .NET compatible libraries that provide these types of features but they have to be allowed in the Windows Phone security sandbox. My iPhone is a 3GS so I'm not sure if there is a modern suite of applications for the iPhone 5S that have these abilities.

With the optics provided in phones like the 1020,1520 and the Icon, it's seems like a real wasted opportunity not to provide a full suite of mobile video editing tools.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Apart from "A native video Editor " you didn't listed anything proper, all your other "features" isn't a need for casual users.

You can't fit EVERYTHING into the OS or it will be cluster **** like android, there's apps for advanced things, there's no need to put more **** than needed

The HTC ONE Zoe feature is one of it's most popular aspects. Being able to make a 3 to 15 sec .gif is a pretty cool feature once you get accustomed to having it. Vine and Instagram Video are popular for a reason. And YouTube is proof you need video tools on your mobile platform if you want to grow your user base. You can't turn a blind eye just becuase you as a user might not use a particular feature. You are correct is saying that the tools don't necessarily need to be native to the OS, but an API for developers to take advantage of the raw video and the Qualcomm chip-set should be in place so that 3rd party money makers have an opportunity to cash in.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to some more background as to how these features could be used with popular services today.

Re-frame video in real time - (Instagram video is square. While I hate square Pictures and Video re-framing video is a neat feature for different aspect ratios like 4:3 and 1:1 for different platforms)
Extract Images from video in real time - (This is easy and allows you to shoot first and find great moments later. A must for creatives. Who has time to take pictures and shoot video on two different devices)
Auto create .gifs from video natively (Reddit, Vine, Instagram; enough said. People love .gifs. Check out Gizmodo's weekly .gif party for a good laugh)
Add music, filters, text, images and canned effects to video. (YouTube, Vimeo, Daily Motion RedBull or perhaps a new Video service )
3rd party API's for video manipulation (Let the Developers build an ecosystem of Apps based on features requested)
A native video Editor (We have Carl Zeiss Lenses and loss-less digital zoom for video recording. What sense does it make to not have a native way to edit the video before sharing it with friends and family)

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to some more background as to how these features could be used with popular services today.

Re-frame video in real time - (Instagram video is square. While I hate square Pictures and Video re-framing video is a neat feature for different aspect ratios like 4:3 and 1:1 for different platforms)
Extract Images from video in real time - (This is easy and allows you to shoot first and find great moments later. A must for creatives. Who has time to take pictures and shoot video on two different devices)
Auto create .gifs from video natively (Reddit, Vine, Instagram; enough said. People love .gifs. Check out Gizmodo's weekly .gif party for a good laugh)
Add music, filters, text, images and canned effects to video. (YouTube, Vimeo, Daily Motion RedBull or perhaps a new Video service )
3rd party API's for video manipulation (Let the Developers build an ecosystem of Apps based on features requested)
A native video Editor (We have Carl Zeiss Lenses and loss-less digital zoom for video recording. What sense does it make to not have a native way to edit the video before sharing it with friends and family)

I was thinking this a few months back. WP has an over load of photo editing apps but no video editing apps. You can't do anything with videos besides record/share them. To me, nothing you listed is a waste or useless. We need them all and more. The API's definitely need to be made available for 3rd party developers.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Folks we need to stop thinking like this. Windows Phone needs features. It will not stay competitive without features. Even if those features end up as gimics I'll take them. You don't know all the time whats going to take off and whats not so try everything. It's very easy to guess that there will be some people that will love the gif feature. How you were able to think that no one will like this, at all, is beyond me. It makes me wonder how old you are, cause that's old folks thinking.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Folks we need to stop thinking like this. Windows Phone needs features. It will not stay competitive without features. Even if those features end up as gimics I'll take them. You don't know all the time whats going to take off and whats not so try everything. It's very easy to guess that there will be some people that will love the gif feature. How you were able to think that no one will like this, at all, is beyond me. It makes me wonder how old you are, cause that's old folks thinking.

Microsoft has done a good job of implementing features in a way that tend to be simple and usable when it comes to windows phone. Rarely are features the problem. Making features known to users and demonstrating specific applications are usually where the message gets lost in translation. When It comes to imaging, i think Nokia has gotten the message across to users and HTC has actually created some really good native tools for their windows phones when it comes to their software suit. HTC's Windows Phone Panorama app blows Nokia's away in simplicity and image results.

Now hopefully they will do the same for video. As tech enthusiast we get caught up in what our phones have the power to do, but the average person cares more about how easy it is to do things. Apple does a good job of dumbing down the message and showing people how easy it is to take a panorama of kids or recording the Christmas holiday with the family. While it's good marketing, the other part of the equations is having apps that can deliver the goods while being grandma friendly. Grandma Friendly typically means lacking features, but that's what the advance menu is for. But we need these tools for video on the windows phone platform. Pictures and Video, this is the only remaining mobile territory Windows Phone currently has an opportunity to lay a dominant claim to. They need to add the video tools to the impressive collection of picture taking apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maritku