Mozo covesr FINALLY came in! The good and the bad.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a brown and black Mozo cover for my 950xl back in 12/8, and they finally came in. They look great, but I do have a couple of complaints. First of all, the brown does not look anything like the picture on the website. I was hoping for the distress/sunburst look and instead got just flat, dark, brown. It still looks good, but nowhere as near as nice as the website shows. The second issue is that the side buttons are not as responsive as the original cover. You have to really push the power/unlock and volume buttons to get them to work. This could be a good thing if you unintentionally unlock your phone a lot, but I think it is a bit of a problem. Oddly enough, the camera button is fine.

A major issue I noticed with these covers is that they only have one mic hole at top and bottom instead of 4. I have tested recording live music with both covers, and there is a noticeable difference. You get much better audio with the original cover. I don't understand why you would only notch two holes for four microphones? EDIT: Upon further inspection of the original cover, the other "holes" on the original back cover are not full through the case holes. Interestingly enough, the extra holes at the top are blocked by a rubber grommet. I don't know what the purpose for this grommet is, but it is strange. No matter what, there is a noticeable difference in recording. I am now wondering if part of that is because of the different material and what passes through.

One other thing to note is that they add quite a bit of weight over the original cover. I actually like this as I was accustomed to the weight of my icon and the 950xl with the original cover just felt too light in my hands.

The black cover looks VERY good with this phone - and you can't help but love that leather smell!

I never had the creaking problems with my original cover, so I will go back to it when I know I will be using the recording mics, which is unfortunate. The phone looks much better with Mozo covers, but I may actually send the black cover back since I feel like I need to use original back cover when recording anyway.

Last edited:

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I like the stiffer power button, less accidental presses now.
As for the color, it is less shiny/dark than I expected, but you can always add tan and shine with leather polish or just with wear over time. I got them wet today at skiing, but after it dried, the color is back to its original.
Only one hole is for mic on the top and bottom. I haven't tried video recording to see if the new case makes any difference. Qi works just as the plastic case.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
What a waste of money! $70 for a back cover with no front cover to cover screen!!...and then all defective characteristics mentioned by OP:grin:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I just sent mine back. I got the black case on ebay, with the diagonal stripe separating the plain leather from the patterned. But the patterned part looks like perforated leather from the photos (see pic), but it's nothing of the sort in reality, just pressed, or embossed leather.

Also, the thin profile sounds good in theory but I was surprised at just how thin it was. I couldn't see it lasting a year. Last time out I bought a cheapie for a tenth of the price at ?3 and frankly, the quality was just as good as the Mozo and the thicker PU leather probably means it would be more hard wearing. It's still going strong after 18 months anyway.

I expected similar quality to some of the hand made stuff you can find on Etsy given the price, but no way are they worth ?30 especially given that they are made in China. Probably cost a few cents to knock up. Very disappointed because the perforated leather was exactly what I wanted.

View attachment 122192
Advert photo

View attachment 122193
Actual case

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't dislike the factory back enough to spend 50 bucks on a replacement. Actually, I don't dislike it at all. It does what it's supposed to and doesn't show fingerprints.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Best benefit of 950XL factory built back is how easily it can be removed for battery change and soft reset, installing/switching SD card & SIM cards. No need for special tools to open n remove back cover for a simple task.:kiss: This fact is especially appreciated by those who needed to get an appointment from Apple store for an expensive battery replacement:angry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria