MS developing FULL Windows 8 pro Surface Phone? Will we be abandoned like Win 7 phone

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how MS making a phone will have any negative effect for WP8 users. Unless your upset because you just went into a 2 yr contract with a 920. I did and if they release a Surface phone with a big screen I would get it and sell my 920. Btw Win 7 users didn't get abandoned, its called progress. I'm guessing ppl who went 2yr deals with the 900/Titan II are still upset.

Listen, I think people who bought a 900 at launch only to learn a few short months later that MS is essentially ceasing production on WP7 have the right to be upset. While I agree that progress is good, reaching a virtual EOL in six months is pretty terrible. The counter argument is to buy a product for what you need it for TODAY. That's great, but the beauty of technology and software is upgradability. If I bought a device running Windows 7 six months ago and learned I couldn't install Windows 8 I would be equally pissed. The upsetting thing is MS knew well and good that they would stop support before the 90 launched. But announcing this would have made sales even more abysmal than they already were (read: it would have made little business sense). Frankly, Nokia should have just spend the extra time developing the 920 and scrapped the 900 altogether, IMO. But you have shareholders and the like to keep happy, so I can understand needing to get a product on the market. At the end of the day, what I am trying to say in this wall of text is that I have sympathy for the adopters of the 900 that feel shafted. Because, well, they were. Would have been nice, at the very least, to get some sort of discount or trade-in voucher for them. I am certainly happy that I ended up returning mine when I caught wind of WP8.

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
With many unimpressed with the performance and more still appalled at a 32GB surface having only half that available to the user the idea of a "Surface Pro" phone is not silly, it's absurd--borderline trolling! :)

It's been said before in this thread --an RT phone is Microsoft's answer to Google's Nexus. It'll be MS hardware and WP8. I think it would be a great addition to the already strong lineup Nokia and HTC have brought us.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow it's been a while since I last read so much nonsense s#it on a single page!

Microsoft will NEVER have a Windows 8 Pro or Windows RT phone. The core is basically the same already, same kernel, similar APIs... but the UI is what matters most and it doesn't make sense to squeeze Windows 8 on such a small screen. They could eventually have a new OS which implements both - so you have the WP8 UI running on your phone but as soon as you plug it to a dock or external monitor, the full Windows 8 UI comes to life. That won't happen anytime soon thou.

They * might * (and I personally think they will no matter what) have their own phone next year to serve as a "reference" phone, but running WP8. Exactly the same WP8 that we have now on the Lumia 920, or the 8X, or any other WP8 phone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's rumored to be an Enterprise WinTel Phone.

Take the Dell Latitude 10 hardware and put it into an Intel Phone

Latitude 10 Tablet Details | Dell?

as an update of the Intel atom phone released earlier this year and released in the U.K.

Intel goes mobile with Atom Z2460 and this time it's serious

The buyer will be enterprise orgs that need to run some desktop apps like Access and some custom apps. Skype will replace the trad phones, a 24-27" touchscreen monitor and docking station will replace the Black Box and the Wintel Pro Surface Phone will be the head unit.

I'm not saying its ready for prime time but that's the vision. Good bye Black Box and there's no need for All-in-ones in 5 years at the rate phone hardware is progressing. . We'll know more in February

I think Microsoft will probably try to focus on getting more than 3% of the smartphone market with the OS they already have before they fragment the Windows Phone market with an Intel phone running the desktop version of Windows. Seems like they already have their work cut out for them without spreading themselves thinner. Just my 2 cents.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
By Surface phone they mean a Nexus-like version of Windows Phone.

Wait, what?

There wouldn't be a Nexus-like version of a Windows Phone. Nexus for Android is basically rolling back all the customizations and going pure Google. Windows Phones by and large are already "pure" in that no one really alters the interface and the form factor is relatively the same across the board.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I cannot see any benefit to making a phone that would run a full version of Win8. To what others have said between the storage and power requirements I do not believe the technology currently exists to create such a device.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how MS making a phone will have any negative effect for WP8 users. Unless your upset because you just went into a 2 yr contract with a 920. I did and if they release a Surface phone with a big screen I would get it and sell my 920. Btw Win 7 users didn't get abandoned, its called progress. I'm guessing ppl who went 2yr deals with the 900/Titan II are still upset.

It simply makes no sense from a business standpoint. They have enough trouble gaining marketshare for WP8 as it is. Why on earth would they divert resources to start developing a Windows 8 phone at this point, especially considering it would be an expensive niche product when their "mainstream" phone OS has niche product marketshare at this point?

It's got nothing to do with it being bad for WP8 users, though it would be considering many of us feel like Microsoft isn't doing enough for this OS as it is. Can you imagine if they divided their efforts to accommodate a Windows 8 phone at this point? The only thing it would do is ensure the failure of WP8 and the mythical Windows 8 phone.

I can assure you this isn't going to happen, unless some third party takes it upon themselves with Microsoft's blessing.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
How is Microsoft having trouble gaining market share with Windows Phone 8 when it hasn't even been out on the market a full quarter? Microsoft has many of the top developers in mobile working on equipment that will run the mobile operating system - HTC, Samsung, Nokia - and the devices that have come out so far are pretty compelling. In addition to what is out now, the future of the platform does look bright provided developers are able to make use of the enhancements over Windows Phone 7. The Lumia doesn't have to beat the iPhone to be a successful launch. Shoot, it doesn't even have to beat the Galaxy S III. Both devices in their own right are established product lines running on mature software. You aren't really comparing apples to apples here.

Overall, Windows Phone 8 needs to develop as a strong number three in the market and seriously contend for the number two spot. Perception issues that are nursed from posts of impulsive shoppers that picked up the Lumia 920 at launch expecting one thing and getting another aren't helping matters. There is a lot of bad information out there; too many generalizations are made and experiences tend to be more unique than what community forums have led to believe. Do I think there is a quality control issue with Nokia? No. However, I do believe there are devices that shipped with some sort of defect and should be replaced. Hardware and software issues Microsoft and Nokia can and will address. There will always be defective devices at launch. You cannot expect everything to go right 100% of the time.

This is why you have buyer's remorse polices and equipment insurance. What one doesn't do the other will. If you aren't happy with the phone get a new one. If the one you have isn't working, replace it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit