My 1020 drowned - AT&T and Asurion trying to switch me iPhone/Android.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
They tried doing the same with my wife's 1020. Said they were out of all nokias, bs. Finally got them to offer either the 1520. Wife wanted her 1020 back. So I called again asked to speak to their manager and got them to agree if I went in and bought the 1020 (at&t had them I stock) they would reimburse me within 5 business days minus the deductible. Still bull**** it took so much trouble. When they were trying to replace it with an s3 I told them how would they feel if they insured a corvette and were given a wagon. I said I insured a Nokia WP and want one in return. That's when they offered the 1520.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Call ATT and threaten to cancel. Depending upon how long you've been with them, they may cave.
Wont work their company for insurance is a completely independent company from at&t. I will say the local store manager did help me with finding an option with them (unfortunately the same I already got them to do).

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, now that you seem to be having trouble in your warranty, you might have some luck in trying to revive your phone by gently bathing it in distilled water. Pure water does not conduct electricity, but as soon as particles and ions get dissolved in it it becomes a good conductor*. This technique is commonly used here in the Philippines for "reviving" electronic appliances (TV, radio, gaming consoles, phones) that get immersed in flood water. Worked well for our television set, home theatre system, gaming console, mobile phones years back... unfortunately it didn't work for my antique piano.

Just make sure you use distilled water! Don't dunk your phone in it and avoid the LCD as much as you can**. Pour around 2L of distilled water and then dry it BEFORE turning it on*** in front of a fan or under the sun (fan is preferred). This will wash out all the conducting contaminants the splash of water brought into your phone. As soon as your phone circuitry is free of these conducting ions, your phone (or any electronic device) should run again.

Best of luck!

*- I experimented a bit on this: Got a cup of distilled water and a 10,000-volt arc generator and fired it into the water with my fingers immersed in it - the arc didn't even want to touch the water. Then I added a pinch of salt and fired it again (now without my fingers, of course!) - only then did the arc go through the water.

**- You may want to detach the LCD screen first. With a couple of hex screw drivers and a few youtube videos, this can be done.

***- Turning your phone on with all the conducting contaminants will short the circuitry and permanently damage your phone.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
this is one of those situations where a person has to set aside his or her emotions and do the math. You ALWAYS take the apple product when given the option. Yes, there is a little work involved afterword as you trade for what you really want on craigslist later, but the demand for apple products makes it very easy.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
couple of options. Yes, without a doubt DROP the crappy ATT almost-insurance.

If you have a Wells Fargo credit card and pay your cell phone bill with it you will have an automatic insurance (have never tested it)
Buy all your phones at the MS store and buy their "complete" for $100, which will get you a NEW phone if something happens (can replace it twice in the two year term).
I don't think "Complete" is being offered at MS Store anymore, for phones. :(

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I recently had the same issue. I dropped my 1020, shattering the screen. Asurion tried to switch me to ah Android phone. I complained on twitter and got a to who agreed to reimburse me for a new 1020 or 1520 from either at&t or Microsoft. I purchased a 1520 from the Microsoft store asking with their insurance program. I submitted my receipt file expecting reimbursement for just the phone, but the paid for both. I will definitely not pay for their insurance again as it would only be useful for h handsets with more frequent releases. Until MS or other companies pick up the pace, one would be stuck in this situation with no option to replace your phone. Asurion's attempt to force me to change operating systems was ridiculous.

Jeebus137

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you have the wireless charging shell for your 1020? If you can't revive it, I'll buy it off of you. Ebay and Amazon are charging an arm and a leg for them now that they are in short supply...

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. Haven't been in the forums for a while. I have two charging shells (yellow and black) and a black camera grip of you're still interested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124