NO MORE THROTTLE OR FANS surface pro 3/4

tenfooterpipi

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I can also a test to that. With the changes made, Battery: %56 Power %65, my Pro 4 turned definitely turned into a much quieter and cooler machine to handle when playing you tube on chrome, as the majority have experienced a massive memory hog and CPU intensive application as Chrome. On Edge as well, although since the beginning Edge is a much proficient browser to begin with on the battery department. But, one question:

What the hell happened to the stand by function? How do I get it back on the Power Menu? Or even better....can I revert back to the old settings?

I figure with under clocking the Pro 4 would have its advantage, battery life and cooler machine. But I think nothing beats the sleep function, specially since its supposed to act like a "tablet"..... :amaze:

Never mind, undoing the registry gives you back the sleep function on the power/lid/button function available back, thus you can keep the power plan you made and have the sleep function. Brilliant. Props to the original poster.

Last edited:

Mikeman

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't matter - just stating a fact / observation. A M3 compares to a cell phone - if that matters to some, then so be it.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I can also a test to that. With the changes made, Battery: %56 Power %65, my Pro 4 turned definitely turned into a much quieter and cooler machine to handle when playing you tube on chrome, as the majority have experienced a massive memory hog and CPU intensive application as Chrome. On Edge as well, although since the beginning Edge is a much proficient browser to begin with on the battery department. But, one question:

What the hell happened to the stand by function? How do I get it back on the Power Menu? Or even better....can I revert back to the old settings?

I figure with under clocking the Pro 4 would have its advantage, battery life and cooler machine. But I think nothing beats the sleep function, specially since its supposed to act like a "tablet"..... :amaze:

Never mind, undoing the registry gives you back the sleep function on the power/lid/button function available back, thus you can keep the power plan you made and have the sleep function. Brilliant. Props to the original poster.

Nice fix/find sorry I did not back to you on time :) but glad to have helped and I noticed youtube eats up crazy cpu, does not even make sense

tenfooterpipi

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Well, from what I'm able to gather, Chrome enables flash, plus all the extensions such as adblocks, and what not, all eats up RAM. Edge was built from the ground up to be more battery and memory friendly to surface pro 4. Granted, it may not be the best browser to dominate all, but it is certainly the best companion for the surface pro 4. And I also able to confirm: you do get an extra hour or two, if one "moderately" uses the pro 4. So far, 7hrs of light video watching, word processor, web-browsing is possible. Turn off bluetooth, enable battery saver, and low bright setting and all of sudden Microsoft claims of the battery life don't seem far fetched. Now, onto disabling Cortana...another fun tweak....

Again, Thanks to the original poster and all who have contributed to the thread. This should be bumped. All the time.

willblake

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello all!

I was anoyed by the fan kicking in just for Youtube so i change the registry and changed the maximal energy input to 60% on battery and cable.
The fan did not kick in and the device was much cooler.
Than I wonderd because my fan did not kick in at all. So i changed everything back the registry as well. After restarting and some CPU usage the device got realy hot and normally the fan kicks in at 45? Core temperature. But it got up to 75 and till not the tinyest fan noise...
Not i'm a little scared it could be broken or something.

Any Ideas? I would be glad for help so I dont need to reset my device.

Thanks!

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I was really surprised that this made such a difference - an increase of about an hour on my SP4 i5 8/256 according to powercfg /batteryreport. I also found that the 4/24 firmware updates have increased battery life substantially for me. I am now consistently getting more than 8 hours. Of course I still wish it was more, but I guess I will have to stop cursing Microsoft now, at least until they next introduce more bugs.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello all!

I was anoyed by the fan kicking in just for Youtube so i change the registry and changed the maximal energy input to 60% on battery and cable.
The fan did not kick in and the device was much cooler.
Than I wonderd because my fan did not kick in at all. So i changed everything back the registry as well. After restarting and some CPU usage the device got realy hot and normally the fan kicks in at 45? Core temperature. But it got up to 75 and till not the tinyest fan noise...
Not i'm a little scared it could be broken or something.

Any Ideas? I would be glad for help so I dont need to reset my device.

Thanks!

My surface pro 3 would run get to 65 before kicking, 80 when it was at full, but I say just go back, to power saving, plus the surface can handle 90 and if the your surface is only hitting 75 and not getting hot with less fan noise then awsome :)

Ozozuz

May 5, 2016
Visit site
@Geo Hutchings

I'm probably going to buy a sp4 couse of this thread, my wallet hates you but i have a question.
My idea was to take the i5 but then but i 100% hate hearing the fan while i'm not doing something expensive in terms of resources , so the limitation in the cpu freq will be a must.

Then i asked myself , will be a "depowered" i5 much better than the fanless m3 model ? :unhappysweat:

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Geo Hutchings

I'm probably going to buy a sp4 couse of this thread, my wallet hates you but i have a question.
My idea was to take the i5 but then but i 100% hate hearing the fan while i'm not doing something expensive in terms of resources , so the limitation in the cpu freq will be a must.

Then i asked myself , will be a "depowered" i5 much better than the fanless m3 model ? :unhappysweat:

Haha :) you will love it. you could ether wait for surface pro 5 or get i5, i5 is still far more powerful the m3 even at lower speeds, this is because the i5 can handle more tasks per second, so even if it did those tasks at a lower speeds it will still do it faster :)

Ozozuz

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Haha :) you will love it. you could ether wait for surface pro 5 or get i5, i5 is still far more powerful the m3 even at lower speeds, this is because the i5 can handle more tasks per second, so even if it did those tasks at a lower speeds it will still do it faster :)

I found nothing about it, do we now when the sp5 will be released ? "or at least an idea ^^"

shawnthor

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I found nothing about it, do we now when the sp5 will be released ? "or at least an idea ^^"

No one can be for sure. From what I understand the next generation of Intel processors won't be out until Q3 2016 at the earliest. Additionally, they might wait until they have Redstone 2 ready to install on the SP5, which would give it another selling point. They could avoid messing with either, so no way to be certain.

@Geo, what is the talk of sleep mode going away with this tweak?

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Connected Standby is off, as long as you have the registry tweaked. But after you have found the right percentage settings for your needs, you can re-enable it in the registry and it is on again.

FlexiPack

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I was going to buy the M3 model simply because I hate fan noise but after reading this thread I'm very tempted to go for the i5/8gb model and limit the max cpu speed. Seems to be working well for people. I have a couple of questions though...

1. Could I create multipe power profiles and then re-enable Connected Standy and retain those profiles?
2. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that manually setting the maximum CPU would disable the Speed Step function of the processor, is this true?

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
No one can be for sure. From what I understand the next generation of Intel processors won't be out until Q3 2016 at the earliest. Additionally, they might wait until they have Redstone 2 ready to install on the SP5, which would give it another selling point. They could avoid messing with either, so no way to be certain.

@Geo, what is the talk of sleep mode going away with this tweak?

I suppose it will be after intel releases new family of CPUs, so maybe near the end of ther year.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was going to buy the M3 model simply because I hate fan noise but after reading this thread I'm very tempted to go for the i5/8gb model and limit the max cpu speed. Seems to be working well for people. I have a couple of questions though...

1. Could I create multipe power profiles and then re-enable Connected Standy and retain those profiles?
2. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that manually setting the maximum CPU would disable the Speed Step function of the processor, is this true?

Mine retain but I am not 100% sure
And That is what happens stopping speed step is what stops the over heating/fan noise

ahtom82

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Does this actually works? I tried using this method, I even set down to 20 percent of max performance limit. Cause I wanted to try to get the 8 hours that Microsoft advertise. Sadly I didn't get this much of on time when I use my tablet outside. I brightness was set to 25 percent and battery saver on. I switch on the task manager and still see the percentage of the processor going more than 20 percent...

for the sleep setting, it doesn't work when i switch on the hidden settings. After I switch off the hidden settings, and sleep reappear. But I'm not sure whether the maximum performance limit that i set at 20 percent still works after I have switch back to have the sleep settings....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di