Nokia 920 Pureview loses against Nokia 808 Pureview Night Recording

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We thought that Nokia Lumia 920 was the best phone to record in the night, or Nokia told us that it was that. But they haven't done the best work they could. Their flagship, Nokia 808 Pureview, is recording better during the night. It's a pitty that Nokia starts to cheat since the very first Nokia 920 video. The super reflex camera to capture the supose Lumia 920 videos + this is amazing. Although is the best WP8 to buy, if you think it as a camera phone is better the iPhone 5 in daylight, equal in afternoon and inside and slightly better during the night.

Some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPm20esQYc

Nokia Lumia 920 vs 808 PureView Video comparison (low light) - YouTube

For those who told me in my last post that I was crazy and I was wrong, today I can have a Youtube Video that shows I'm right.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
For god sake. Its a phone and it does pretty well against other phones.
Sent from my Red L920 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You missed the night-time star pictures. My wife has a Nokia 808, and it's fantastic for taking night shots, but the Nokia 920 is pretty darn good. I wouldn't bash it.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I dunno what Nokia said or didn't say, but I figured this much was near-obvious. That doesn't mean that the 920 wasn't really frigging good even if it wasn't the best or couldn't hold it's own against a camera that has 4 times bigger sensor..

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In order to put the same camera tech the 808 uses in the 920, the 920 would have to be 2-3x the thickness, and it wouldn't sell because nobody wants a brick. I'd imagine that it has a pretty serious impact on battery life, development time and cost as well - we wouldn't be seeing any $50 or $0 subsidized rates on it, and therefore (guess what?) it wouldn't sell. The goal of the 920 was to create a sexy device with a great camera (not SLR great, not M4/3 great, not even S95/S100 great, but cameraphone great) that can be sold at a low enough price to get the ecosystem rolling. It seems to have worked.

If you want the best camera possible in a phone and don't care about anything else (price, OS usability, screen res), then buy the 808 and unlock it. That phone was more of a proof-of-concept than a serious flagship, and it runs Symbian, which is the phone OS equivalent of shoving bamboo shards under your fingernails. It also has a pathetically low-res screen. If you want a great WP8 phone, get the 920. If you care *that* much about photography, GET. A. CAMERA!

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the first video is not really a comparison at all, different footge? Unless recorded at exactly the same time of day, the comparison is stupid, not to mention that at the end the 920 loses focus, could've happened for many reasons and to any auto-focus camera.

The second video is more like it, and what's crazy is that despite the 808 having a massive sensor, if you look closely, the Lumia 920 has better color saturation, something extremely difficult to capture in dark scenes.

Zooming is strictly a mechanical limitation and not existant on the Nokia 920 (Digital zoom doesn't count :p) the 808 has optical zoom but in order to incorporate it, the size of the lens increases dramatically, it's at least a full inch thick by the camera!

deepblue82

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've watched only the 1st video. In my opinion, i came to the following result:
The 808 wins in "picture" quality, but in overall I think, the 920 wins in a video battle.

The 808 recorded a shaky video, due to the lack of OIS. For me, the Video from the 920 makes much more fun to watch because it's so much steadier than the 808! OIS really makes a BIG difference!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think some people just don't understand what OIS is. Optical Image Stabilization allows for slight movement of the camera to be steadied by the hardware. This gives two main benefits.

Night Photography
The shutter can remain open a little longer. Slight hand movements can be compensated for by OIS to reduce or eliminate blur that would certainly occur with any other camera phone. With the shutter open longer, the sensor is able to take in more light. This gives us unrivaled night pictures for a camera phone.

Steady Video
OIS has compensate for some of the small bumps that can happen when you're moving while taking video. This results in smoother video.

There was never a claim that we'd see brighter night video.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
This has been said before, but boy does the 920 win the "steadiness" battle. I would honestly rather watch the video on the 920 than the 808 any day. JMO

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I took some pictures and videos of a bunch of kids playing around together over Thanksgiving break and sent them to all my relatives. I actually got some questions as to what camera I was using. When I told them it was my cell phone they were quite floored. The steadiness and lighting in particular was mentioned often. To me, this was a real world test of a cell phone camera: no set up, mix of poor and decent lighting, and many moving objects. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think that pople doesn't know that soem companies offer 4K capable sensors (thaat could offer us that wanted zoom) + 16Mpx camera photo. And all that in a sensor that is only slightly bigger than 920's. But Nokia instead of innovating they want 808 to be their flagship because it uses Symbian.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowaHooley