Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a question about the design of the phone to figure out if I have a defective unit. The volume and power button is really flush with the metal frame. They extend 0.5 mm, may be less. So it's a little hard to press them. camera button is like 1 mm. I have the black version. Is this normal?

Funny you should mention this. I had three black versions of the phone that had this exact problem, when i went to exchange for the final time the sales guy got all of the black phones they had in stock out so we could check them and all had rattly and low power and volume buttons. The first Orange backed phone we looked at was perfect, so i switched to that!

I've had about nine 930's up until now due to issues and there is almost a pattern of faults between the different colours, or that may just be my imagination!

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Funny you should mention this. I had three black versions of the phone that had this exact problem, when i went to exchange for the final time the sales guy got all of the black phones they had in stock out so we could check them and all had rattly and low power and volume buttons. The first Orange backed phone we looked at was perfect, so i switched to that!

I've had about nine 930's up until now due to issues and there is almost a pattern of faults between the different colours, or that may just be my imagination!

That's really weird.
I've never had a problem with pressing the buttons on my 930. I have a black one.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

When I do Google image search I see that only black ones have this problem, You are right other colored phones look normal. May be there is a reason for this, it must be really lousy QA manager to let this pass if it's a mistake.

E50

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I got my phone yesterday and noticed those buttons, I thought that power button is faulty, but now I see that there is a lot of phones with such buttons, so I guess thats not a big deal. You can easily press it still.

Kostas_cbr

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
In all these posts I am not sure if the screen issue with purple tint when auto brightness is low, is hardware problem or we are waiting for an update?

WilliamHopeIII

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have a problem with the screen? The bottom half is fine, but as you look higher, the screen very gradually develops a yellow tint. It's faint, but noticeable. And once you see it, you can't unsee it. It's most noticeable when looking at something with a white background.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been getting this bug A LOT recently. The speaker makes a "pop" sound when using the device. I could be open / closing apps, loading pages, flipping through options. It happens ALL the time now. It used to happen once like once every 3-4 days. Now 3-4 times an hour. Kind of getting annoying.

Does anyone else encounter this issue? It's like a small "pop" or "crack" sound that the speaker emits.

wphashan

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been getting this bug A LOT recently. The speaker makes a "pop" sound when using the device. I could be open / closing apps, loading pages, flipping through options. It happens ALL the time now. It used to happen once like once every 3-4 days. Now 3-4 times an hour. Kind of getting annoying.

Does anyone else encounter this issue? It's like a small "pop" or "crack" sound that the speaker emits.
Umm.. Yes. I've heard this few times after denim update. Not sure is it's something wrong with denim?

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happening here, but very rarely. Denim update brought a lot of features and new bugs. When I spoke with Daniel Rubino on twitter his remark was "how do you want progress then?" I strongly disagree but since editors think this is the way nobody will blame MS for bringing new bugs; even though are small are very annoying. Example, this popping sound, or the blinking screen (blinks like black screen or half of the screen goes black for 0.100ms). There are a lot of other bugs..

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Umm.. Yes. I've heard this few times after denim update. Not sure is it's something wrong with denim?

Well, I can confirm that I have it on my 1520 as well. It's the most random thing. It always occurs when changing apps (either going home, or opening or closing an application). I mean, it's annoying, but it's not a deal breaker. I just hope they fix it. It must be a deep bug because it completely ignores that I'm in silent mode!

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
when you are on the phone with the speaker open, the screen lock takes over and the screen turns off. you have to unlock the phone again. I thought this was a proximity sensor issue like some people were reporting. But when you are not on the speaker it behaves correctly, dims the screen when the screen is close to your ear then opens it when you are looking the screen (when the phone conversation is still on)

with lumia 925 + cyan making a phone call with the speaker on the screen was always on. Is this a bug, or do I need to change a setting?

Sorry, if this has been discussed before.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My 930 does the same thing with the speaker on during a call. Have to double tap or push power button to turn screen back on. Must be a bug. I don't remember my Ativ S doing this.

tigrucat

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I had to return my second 930 due to multiple issues. The flickering screen seems to be exacerbated by the Lumia Demin update, though I noticed that the screen did flutter slightly on Cyan - not enough to affect usability, however after updating to Denim the flickering got worse and worse until it was actually worse than on phone no 1 - the flickering was based on horizontal lines all over the screen. The flickering is so bad that it would surely be a danger to anyone with epilepsy. Microsoft need to be alerted to this as it could get them in trouble.

The phone also got warmer than the previous phone, the screen kept going black (not anything to do with sleep) and crashing - all I could do was restart the phone - I didn't have this issue with the previous phone.

I also discovered that despite taking photos of the same objects / views (did not take out of the house as still within returns period) the photos were coming out very dark and the camera could not take decent photos even in good light - this was on auto setting. There was nothing wrong with the camera on the first phone - I compared similar photos taken in similar light on One Drive - I cannot remember whether I took the photos whilst on Cyan or after Denim on the previous phone, but I feared that the camera sensor was faulty so that was another reason to send it back.

The headphones would only come out of one ear when inserted into the phone, however if I restarted the phone I got stereo. I also had this issue on the previous 930.

I wanted to run try out the phone a bit more this weekend and send it back on Monday but this time when I printed off the returns label Amazon requested an immediate return instead of allowing me another 30 days to return it as the previous time so it had to go back on Wednesday. I could not get a replacement this time either as Amazon had suspended the phone from sale - it's now back on sale but I have decided to leave trying out a replacement until after Easter one year after the phone was announced in the hope of getting later stock. I think after this month this phone will go out of production as Microsoft have announced that they are closing the Nokia factories in China at the end of the month - hardly a surprise given the quality issues. I doubt production of this phone will get transferred to Vietnam as it wouldn't be cost effective and it has lost nearly half it's original value.

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
You guyz know something,
I just sold my L1520 right today and I was considering the L930 to buy.

ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME? IS THIS EVEN A MID-RANGE PHONE?
Screen lifts up
Screen flickers
Purple hue
Overheating issues
Green, Yellow hue seen in photos captured
Battery over drain
Physical buttons of power, volume and camera are not in a good level
"Beep sound" when navigating, opening, etc.
Headphones won't work properly
Front camera crashes
Difference in black color density of screen areas
Proximity sensor issues
Scrolling make flashes and flickers
Double tap doesn't wake up
Problems in charging level ( it doesn't charge as full 100% )

I gathered all you said in these pages of this thread.

So, you guyz think that I should consider a L930? Honestly...

E50

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
You guyz know something,
I just sold my L1520 right today and I was considering the L930 to buy.
I gathered all you said in these pages of this thread.
So, you guyz think that I should consider a L930? Honestly...
You should, you should also buy it from trusted shop so you could bring it back and change to other phone if you see some problems. I have the 930 and I don't have any of these problems, phone works super good and super fast. I love it. Even the battery lasts 4 days with my usage (lumia 800 lasted 2 days).

Lizardman01

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys!

I'm a new Lumia 930 owner, but first of all I love this phone. The design is completely incredible and perfect assembly. :)

But, I have a few question, hope you can help me:
- Could you suggest me a Headset+Speaker, that has a good sound? Unfortunately the box doesn't include that...
- Can I put/move the downloaded music from Podcast to the Music section? Because I can't do anything in the podcast section (playlist, random play, and so on...)
- When I'm speaking on the phone, and after call take it away my ear, the speaker screen is on the background... I mean it is on the upper menu line and I have to tap there to bring the speaker screen back. Did you met with that?

Thank you the answers! :)

TheMrPatrick

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have tried to use my Lumia 930 today to record a cruise I was doing with our new car, I did the same last week and aside from the rattling from the OIS there wasn't any real issue, but today the sound on the right side kept randomly cutting out whenever the camera started to rattle. Is someone familiar with this? I have just reviewed the video I made last week and the audio is fine, but in the video of today the sound on the right side constantly keeps cutting out whenever I am driving on roads that aren't perfectly smooth. Is it already broken?! I have uploaded the worst part: youtube.com/watch?v=kqlpu-3MkJg

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I sent my phone back for repair, its back to its awesome self. New screen and surround and all is well in the world. Only annoyance is my backup didn't restore my start screen very well, so having to set it up again. Definitely recommend this phone even with some of the shortfalls in this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corin