Nokia will not use Lumia in future devices..

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
You're wrong - I have heard there is a 930 coming out.

As i said I was just stating my opinion. OF course they can do whatever they want i would still buy a new Lumia. But I am convinced that they have to change the format from XXX to XXXX, and introduce a new family. MAybe the Pureview or any other "catchy" name like Juggernaut lol.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes they do lol.. But they can't go lower.. People will think that they are lower end. For example if I tell you that the L100 is better than the L920 would you believe me?? Maybe, but our minds work "the higher, the better". Therefore, I don't see it feasible to use LXXX anymore. We'll see..
Its easy, just start over, say Lumia 9, then 9.1 or so.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes they do lol.. But they can't go lower.. People will think that they are lower end. For example if I tell you that the L100 is better than the L920 would you believe me?? Maybe, but our minds work "the higher, the better". Therefore, I don't see it feasible to use LXXX anymore. We'll see..
If all it takes is a higher number to convince you that something is better, I would question your qualifications as an educated buyer...

It has been done before. I believe IBM went "up" from 5000 to 3000 series servers without issue. The name, and even the number series are arbitrary. Making the flagship the Lumia 100 could potentially help clear our stock on existing 920s to uneducated buyers, while those in the know get the 100s.

They could also release the 921,922, etc. or as said previous on this thread, move into 4 digit numbers.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
In a sense yes.. But what I meant is the numbers. I think that Lumia could stay but the numbers are just fading away. And I tried to point out a new "catchy" name for their new family..

I imagine that as time goes on they'll do something to this extent. But we could conceivably see up to a Lumia 990. Looking at the average product roadmap, we'd see that released around 2016-2017 or something. By then, they could use something like Lumia X series, Lumia Y series, Lumia Z series.

In fact, if I were them I would have it coincide with a significant WP firmware update, say WP9? Once WP9 gets released, Lumia can refresh their brand and marketing campaign to coincide with Microsoft's.

That way they could market the new WP9 with the "Lumia X" flagship device. This would replace the outgoing WP8 and "Lumia 940" flagship device (or whatever the final flagship Lumia phone will be on WP8).

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If all it takes is a higher number to convince you that something is better, I would question your qualifications as an educated buyer...

It has been done before. I believe IBM went "up" from 5000 to 3000 series servers without issue. The name, and even the number series are arbitrary. Making the flagship the Lumia 100 could potentially help clear our stock on existing 920s to uneducated buyers, while those in the know get the 100s.

They could also release the 921,922, etc. or as said previous on this thread, move into 4 digit numbers.

Actually I would respectfully disagree. You're comparing one group of consumers to a different group. I would argue that typical everyday consumers are pretty stupid, and marketing campaigns have to be adjusted to that. How many people have you seen sign up for a 2 year contract because a crappy smartphone is being advertised as free?

Compare that group of consumers to a higher educated consumer group that is purchasing an IBM server. To them, the technical specifications of the server is more important than the name. To some consumers, they want the 920 because it's higher than the 820. They want the bigger screen for the sake of having a bigger screen. They want the Iphones for the sake of having the iphones wifi 4G apps.

Even though the Iphone 4 was vastly superior to the HTC Evo...this is still a hilarious example of the "stupid consumer": iPhone4 vs HTC Evo cartoon HD - YouTube

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I could see them moving away from the numbering but not the Lumia name. I think they'll keep the numbers for the incremental updates but add a name for the big ones. The Lumia EOS by Nokia for example. It will still have the Lumia and Nokia branding, but the name instead of a number indicates it is in a different class.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
It would have made more sense for Nokia to have kept the lumia name for the premium line and used other names for each price tier; then just changed the model number as each one comes out.

Brandon Edwards

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
:unhappysweat:I do find it strange Nokia has just rebranded the Drive and Transit application to "Here". I thought they were pretty well invested in "Drive". I believe they just recently released to other non Lumia devices. why not go a step further and rebrand the whole smartphone line. I wouldn't advise it, but I was quite used to Nokia Drive. I wouldn't put it past them. I have never like the device numbering. Back in the day Nokia, Samsung, and others had way too many model numbers with four digits or more. I know they make a lot phones, but if I need to buy accessories for the phone I need something simple to tell the person/website helping me. I commend Apple, as much as it pains me to say, for simple nomenclature. Starting with three digits was the first mistake, the second was starting at such a high number( 900, 800) , and third was the carrier variants ( adding 1's and 5's). Where do you go from there? Lumia 2039, try find a case for that.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
But what I meant is the numbers. I think that Lumia could stay...
So why the thread title?

:unhappysweat:I do find it strange Nokia has just rebranded the Drive and Transit application to "Here". I thought they were pretty well invested in "Drive".
No, Drive was the name of only one of their location based applications, while HERE is the wider branding for their entire location platform. HERE was announced last year.

Zokudu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Why change it just as its getting fully fleshed out. They have 7 generations to work with here. The first number is the tier 9XX 8XX. Second number is the generation. X1X X2X. Third number is for variants. Like the CDMA 822. They can take this numbering all the way to 990, 890, 790 etc.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Changing the Lumia name now would be stupid, it's already established as Nokia's Windows Phone brand. I can see Nokia moving to 4 digit numbers in the future, but not too soon. The still have some 3 digit numbers they can work with. I think they already have this all planned out. The next generation of Lumia could be 9/840s (the 800 and 900 each upgraded by 20, so they might continue like that) with some in the 30s (if they continue with this exclusive garbage they have going on right now. i.e. Lumia 810/822 instead of just 820 for all carriers).

Even though the Iphone 4 was vastly superior to the HTC Evo...this is still a hilarious example of the "stupid consumer": iPhone4 vs HTC Evo cartoon HD - YouTube

Thank you, that video was hilarious. Hahahaha!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
But, my point is that the XXX numbering is fading away and I don't see at least in my opinion a foreseeable LXXX.. Maybe they will call it Lumia Pureview XXX or something like that.

I don't see how it is fading away... Maybe that is a bad choice of words? They have used numbers over words for years now. Common way to do it, just look at some of the cars from Europe (BMW for instance, they have had the 3 series for years.)

Yes it does.. Branding is what makes devices sell. Like Galaxy or iPhone. Even Xperia has a bit of branding outside of the U.S.. Lumia has become that, but i just can't see a 930 or 950 they have to bump it up to four digits as pointed out in other comments.

I just don't understand why you feel the Lumia 930 is a terrible name...or the Lumia 970...?

They have their price points they are trying to hit...and the current phone will be the highest number in that line. Eventually the Lumia 590 MIGHT have better technology than the Lumia 900...but that would be years down the road. And they have said multiple times...the have top tier tech in the 900 series, and work their way down to the 500 series, keeping that design in mind along with ground breaking technology, but remove parts that drive up the cost to make things economical.

And to the one that said about how cases would be so hard to come by...did you not live through the 2000s? When you could go into ANY mall and find thousands of cases for your Nokia phone?

Changing the Lumia name now would be stupid, it's already established as Nokia's Windows Phone brand. I can see Nokia moving to 4 digit numbers in the future, but not too soon. The still have some 3 digit numbers they can work with. I think they already have this all planned out. The next generation of Lumia could be 9/840s (the 800 and 900 each upgraded by 20, so they might continue like that) with some in the 30s (if they continue with this exclusive garbage they have going on right now. i.e. Lumia 810/822 instead of just 820 for all carriers).

I do not think they will skip the X30 generation of phones. I think there was no 810 and 910 was because they just were in the process of still rolling out their ideas, they had the 610 and 710 line...and wanted to get everything back in line for this release. They now have ALL new X20s from the top to bottom. I'll think they will do that with maybe a 4-5month release window for a while.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why you feel the Lumia 930 is a terrible name...or the Lumia 970...?

They have their price points they are trying to hit...and the current phone will be the highest number in that line. Eventually the Lumia 590 MIGHT have better technology than the Lumia 900...but that would be years down the road. And they have said multiple times...the have top tier tech in the 900 series, and work their way down to the 500 series, keeping that design in mind along with ground breaking technology, but remove parts that drive up the cost to make things economical.

It is not terrible.. But I think that if they release the 930 TOO SOON they will kill sales of the 920, I know it is going to be replaced eventually anyways.. However, If they release the 930, 950 in another carrier it will work. But it won't be smart to release a 930, 950 in the same exclusive carrier..

I read in "The Verge" that the strategy will be the following:

Pureview 41MP to AT&T
Laser (920 variant) Verizon
Catwalk (Aluminum) T-mobile (Hopefully because they need it, devices like the 521 will sell like hot cakes, but some users want a really premium device).

If they do it this way it will succeed because there are 3 DIFFERENT type of devices for 3 different carriers.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Umm, Apple uses the same name and it comes out with completely new iPhones every year. Its called branding and familiarity.

I bought my Lumia 920 this past fall and would certainly consider a 930 if it came out late this year. I think the issue came when the 900 was launched less than 6 months before the 920 and it was not upgradable to WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf