Notifications

ejmdds

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently converted from blackberry to android and now am playing around with a new Focus I received for work. So far I really love this OS and phone. I apologize if this has been asked previously in another post. I have been so reliant on a blinking LED notification for so long from both my blackberry days and my EVO that I miss it dearly. Is there any workaround for this on the Focus in the absence of an LED? I leave my phone on my desk all day while working and if I miss the original SMS or phone call there is no recurring notification. I hate having to check my phone by turning it on to the lock screen each time. Not really a "glance and go" process. Is there an app for this? For android phones there is an app called NO LED which would light up your lock screen with a little simulated LED every few seconds. Hopefully such an app could be developed for this OS. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen any app like this, but id surely be interested in a app like this too.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I came from the BlackBerry world too and I was kind of surprised the phone didn't come with a LED notification light. For my BlackBerry, I kept my phone in the corner of my desk and it'd blink when I had a new comment from Facebook or a new email. Now usually tap the power button to see if I have any alerts and then tap it again to turn off the screen.

I don't know if we'll see an app that'll make the screen blink in the future. Microsoft seems to have the OS pretty locked down and t seems like that'd require multi-tasking and more flexibility than app developers currently have.

I have noticed that my backlight will switch on when I have a new text message, to show the quick notification at the top. I'm not sure if you can configure emails to do something like that...

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I came from Android as well. And yes, I got used to it on my Zio. But I switched over to a Focus and it just takes some getting used to. Besides, the screen lights up when something arrives, so it shouldn't be a problem. It's a bigger LED notification for a screen to light up than just a tiny light.

ejmdds

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I came from Android as well. And yes, I got used to it on my Zio. But I switched over to a Focus and it just takes some getting used to. Besides, the screen lights up when something arrives, so it shouldn't be a problem. It's a bigger LED notification for a screen to light up than just a tiny light.

Yes the screen lighting up is a nice feature. I just wish there was a recurring notification if you miss the initial screen lighting up. If you miss that on the Focus it won't periodically notify you of any unread SMS, email, or missed calls. I wish at least you could have a setting to have the phone vibrate every few seconds or minutes for a period of time. I have missed a few messages even with the phone in my pocket set to vibrate. Maybe it's just me but it seems the vibrate function is pretty weak compared to previous phones I have had. Just gotta get away from my old Blackberry tendencies. I have to remember that Microsofts ad campaign is more "glance and go" and "free ourselves from our phones" and perhaps by design is supposed to be more subtle and unobtrusive. But don't get me wrong I love this phone and OS and these relatively minor annoyances will not cause me to switch.

darren5280

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
LED Notification Idea

I think the answer for the Focus is to enable the the little Windows Phone icon on the bottom of the phone to flash when you have missed a call, a message or have new mail and let the user choose which they want to be notified for. Seems like a talented developer could create this. I love the phone except for the lack of visual notification. Very short sighted to leave that off.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the answer for the Focus is to enable the the little Windows Phone icon on the bottom of the phone to flash when you have missed a call, a message or have new mail and let the user choose which they want to be notified for. Seems like a talented developer could create this. I love the phone except for the lack of visual notification. Very short sighted to leave that off.
that would be pretty cool!

i at least hope a homebrew app can get this function.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di