Okay, What's actually wrong with this phone

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
They're cheap enough to buy two and glue them together. Make sure you leave the rear one with the camera on, so when you take a picture with the front 640 it captures what's on the rear one's screen. You will have to give up flash though.

Hold on, if you tell these people to glue two together all you're going to have is two rear facing cameras and no way to take the picture.....But the buttons on both sides would be nice.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I thought one of the features of 8.1.2 was the ability to use a Bluetooth keyboard, am I wrong?
It's OK it *does* work so ignore my post. I didn't get it work at first, due to my own ineptness ie let's just say I had a brain fart! So I searched online to make sure it was possible and ended up reading that it wasn't, and stopped there. I didn't realize that 8.1.2 added this functionality though, so I tried it again. I guess my device really is perfect after all lol

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hold off having children until you can confirm that's a recessive gene.

About twelve years too late. I originally started her on BlackBerry, and then on Android. From Android I couldn't get her to switch to anything else. Then, the HTC One happened. This was after months of using a faulty Galaxy S3. She felt pigeonholed into using a device that was subpar because it had to be a certain size and run specific apps, all the while I was running through phones left and right because I could. (Trading phones is kind of a hobby)

I tried the HTC One myself for a while and finally had a major issue with the basic call quality. I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone on the spot driving home from work. Man was she angry. Overtime I upgraded from the 5S 16GB to a 64GB and eventually got ahold of the iPhone 6. I really immersed myself in the Apple ecosystem and even debated getting a Mac Mini for the purpose of having a "complete" Apple experience. But then I came to my senses.

I tried Android again, this time with a Galaxy S5 because I wasn't sold on the internal storage only of the Galaxy S6. Little did I know after being out of the Android game for so long that the 5S was crippled on AT&T and I couldn't unlock the bootloader and install Cyanogenmod. I got rid of the phone and went back to Windows Phone, first with the 635 as I would wait out until the release of the 640 / 640 XL. Then I got a little greedy and tried for the 830. The phone was fine, but I felt that even with the better camera that the lack of a true upgrade to 8.1 Update 2 for the AT&T variant was frustrating. No updated Lumia Camera. I wasn't going to waste time with a phone that may or may not be supported in a timely manner. The 640 / 640 XL was going to have 8.1 Update 2 from the start. So, that's where I'm at.

Meanwhile, my wife wants an iPhone 6. She used my 640 XL briefly, but didn't like the size.

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
the truth shall set you free. i have owned this phone a month, and i can not honestly think of one flaw... it is perfect... like a fine wine :)

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
You guys missed the best feature of all ... a fully functional, over the air FM radio. No internet required! Just think of all those loud commercials that await you lol.

Bonus tip: plug in your headset, start FM Radio, look for the 3 dots on the lower right. Click it. Click switch to speaker. Symphonic sound at its best. Ok, not quite ...

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
You guys missed the best feature of all ... a fully functional, over the air FM radio. No internet required! Just think of all those loud commercials that await you lol.

Bonus tip: plug in your headset, start FM Radio, look for the 3 dots on the lower right. Click it. Click switch to speaker. Symphonic sound at its best. Ok, not quite ...

For real. I have that FM radio on the start screen for daily use.

MicrosoftMobile4me

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
So ... How do you guys exit FM radio ? Every time I use FM radio or Music, the radio station or last song played shows up when I adjust the volume control. As a work around, from a suggestion I read on this site, I open a video and play it to get rid of FM radio or the last song played in Music. When the video ends, it shuts off and clears anything from the volume notification area. Is there an easier way ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So ... How do you guys exit FM radio ? Every time I use FM radio or Music, the radio station or last song played shows up when I adjust the volume control. As a work around, from a suggestion I read on this site, I open a video and play it to get rid of FM radio or the last song played in Music. When the video ends, it shuts off and clears anything from the volume notification area. Is there an easier way ?

I think this app may be just what you need.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fstop-the-music%2F9wzdncrcwnkx&token=mMhsw0_j

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am happy with the phone so far. I was happy to only spend $80 to buy this phone the very next morning after breaking my 1520. Yeah, it is a slight downgrade, but it is such a solid phone that I was back up and running that evening. All data restored and a super nice phone. I miss the size of the 1520, but I love the size of the 640... if you can understand that :)

sgsgsg77

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I have 1 for 4 days.
It was gpoingvery well until now. It does not connect correctly to the usual Wifis ( office and home).
So now I'm divided, because it seems it will be on of those misterious things, cosmic dark holes of the universe, where I will need to push hundreds of buttons, unplug the router and get it righ again, reboot the lumia constantly, and I know tha Microsoft will tell me that it is "normal". My old android was very solid on what concerns wifis.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I have 1 for 4 days.
It was gpoingvery well until now. It does not connect correctly to the usual Wifis ( office and home).
So now I'm divided, because it seems it will be on of those misterious things, cosmic dark holes of the universe, where I will need to push hundreds of buttons, unplug the router and get it righ again, reboot the lumia constantly, and I know tha Microsoft will tell me that it is "normal". My old android was very solid on what concerns wifis.

Doesn't sound normal to me. My Lumia 640 is connected to my wlan router without problems. Every time. No reboots needed. Not with Lumia. Not with router. Lumia finds the wi-fi immediately.

sgsgsg77

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. I am still trying to understand what may be the cause of this.
1 thing I know: Old Android - everyday automatic connection to home and office wifi. New Lumia - it comes and go the connection, randomly.

To be honest, I bought this Lumia to have a better option then the old Android. But come on! Wifi?
But thanks anyway

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've owned this phone for a few days now. All I can say is that it's hard to believe this phone is only $80. I now laugh when I see people with their $800 galaxy whatever or $700 iPhone 6. Camera isn't up to snuff against those, but so far it works like a charm. I don't have experience with a cheap android phone, but so far I'm impressed with this 640.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've owned this phone for a few days now. All I can say is that it's hard to believe this phone is only $80. I now laugh when I see people with their $800 galaxy whatever or $700 iPhone 6. Camera isn't up to snuff against those, but so far it works like a charm. I don't have experience with a cheap android phone, but so far I'm impressed with this 640.
Think its great as a $80 phone? What about the thousands who got it for $10 when it came with a $70 Office 365 license? Since the licenses never expire and I plan to use Office for a lot of years and since AT&T will issue unlock codes without even opening the box, I'm kicking myself for not buying a dozen just to pocket the licenses or eBay them and give the 640s away to people on the fence about any smart phone and non-windows smartphone users with open minds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz